Lola Is Back From Her Checkup

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

We just got back from the vet in Jacksonville. The doctor felt good about her progress and also her urinalysis. He found cataracts on both eyes, but he wasn't surprised due to her age. Also, the bedwetting he feels is senior incontinence and gave us a prescription for Uriflex Proin.

Haven't I read some not so good things about this Rx???

Also, there was a 9 year old male grey named Hugo in the next room. Lola got to meet him...he was a gorgeous dark brindle. I talked to Hugo's grandma about joining GT.

p. s. doctor said the cataracts could lead to some vision loss.

Edited by argolola

We haven't had to use Proin here, but many on GT have. While there have been some with side effects, it mostly seems to be beneficial.

I wonder if there's a difference between Uniflex Proin and Proin?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest argolola

We haven't had to use Proin here, but many on GT have. While there have been some with side effects, it mostly seems to be beneficial.

I wonder if there's a difference between Uniflex Proin and Proin?

Sorry Ducky. I typed it wrong. It's uriflex proin. The vet said it had relatively few side effects, but I'm anxious to hear what other GTers think.

I have not used this med, yet, but sometimes, one must weigh the good it can provide, and many times this out weights the bad, any med one gives of any type has side effects even in humans

Guest Energy11

We've had many people on here whose greys have had very bad side effects from Proin ... one who died. I'd do A LOT of research before putting any of mine on it. Asking Dr. Couto's opinion surely couldn't hurt. Good Luck!

My 14.5 yo mix is on Proin for incontinence due to Cushings. She's okay with it, but Daisy snatched one and ended up vomiting from it, I think. I'm not sure who had the problem as I was out of the house, but it was quite a mess.

I'd check with Dr. Couto and check around here. Some docs also use DES, but only if there have been no mammary issues. Since Lucky has mammary tumors (supposed to be benign), we didn't give her DES.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

No experience with that drug but I remember reading conflicting opinions here about it.

But it is good to hear that the vet is happy with Lola's progress

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest argolola

After reading on GT about Proin and some of the issues, I think doing laundry is a better option for us. I don't want to risk putting her through anything else.

Earlier, I overheard DH talking to Rudy about helping his sister if her vision gets worse. It was so sweet.

As always, thank you all.

Edited by argolola

My old gal Cali tried it, but it didn't help her. But she had no side effects at all from it. A friend of mine has a dog who's been on it for a number of years without a problem. Good luck. :) I'd give it a shot if any of my other hounds had issues.

I'm so glad Lola got had a good check-up. My Aggie who is 14 has cataracts and she runs around the yard more then the younger ones do : ) I hope 2010 will be a good year for you and your family.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Bailey didn't tolerate Proin - she totally went off her food (although in retrospect she's been on and off her food since the summer and that was likely caused by the tumor in her spleen and omentum she just had removed last week). She's on DES now and tolerates it very well.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

You'll get lots of opinions, Lene. Many dogs seem to tolerate it very well. I think it is important to make sure the dog is basically healthy before trying proin or DES, and start with a very small dose.

I have not used it for Zema, who has had some leakage issues, because she has high blood pressure. Zema's problem is 99.9% controlled by a homecooked, low salt diet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad Lola had a good checkup, and I totally understand your hesitancy to try the Proin considering all that she has been thru. Xtra laundry does not seem like that bad of an alternative. Hoping Lola continues to improve and that 2010 will be an uneventful (healthwise) year for her!

Have you considered other incontinence meds? Proin is not your only option.

We're using DES for Raven's incontinence and it's worked wonders for her. The vet wanted to give her Proin but I was leery of it after reading about the nasty reactions some GTers' dogs had, so he proposed DES as a safer alternative. It is a synthetic estrogen. He said if you regularly give it more than 2 or 3 times per week it can increase the risk of osteosarcoma later in life. Otherwise it's generally very well tolerated. We only give it once a week and Raven is already 10, so the risk is minimal. It is such a relief not to have a pee-soaked pup!

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest argolola

Thanks everyone for the great input.

I really don't think her issues are bad enough to need meds at this point and this is why: When she first had pancreatitis, she was wetting huge amounts when sleeping, all day and night. We put her on a round of oral Amoxicillin and today is day 5 or 6 with only one potty accident. I can deal with that.

She has a heart murmur too, which I may or may not have told the new vet. I really need to get all of her records from the old vet and get them to the new vet. My memory seems to go when I am under stress, ie: not knowing if she would make it.

Guest greyt2love

We use both Proin and DES here. Rex has been on Prion for 3 years, no side effects.He will be 12 in 2 weeks. If he started to have side effects, I'd stop it and do the laundry, but so far, not an issue.

Momma Sophia has been on DES for a year and she has no leakage, no problems showing up at this point. She takes one a week and she was 11 in September. Like Greytnut said, the chances of problems at that dosage are small, and at Momma's age, I worry more that she is dry and comfortable than what MAY develop some time down the road.

Good luck whatever you decide ! I'm glad her vet visit was good !!!

Guest Swifthounds

I really don't think her issues are bad enough to need meds at this point and this is why: When she first had pancreatitis, she was wetting huge amounts when sleeping, all day and night. We put her on a round of oral Amoxicillin and today is day 5 or 6 with only one potty accident. I can deal with that.

Amoxi and other antibiotics have anti inflammatory properties, so the amoxi may be helping control and infection that was causing her troubles and/or it may be controlling some inflammation that was contributing to the problem. Theraputic doses of Omega 3s can also help with inflammation, so that's a relatively harmless thing you can add if she's not already on it (300 mg EPA/DHA per 10 lbs. body weight daily).

Guest vahoundlover

We lost Dolly to a toxic reaction to Proin. Batmom has had a good response with cooking for Zema and our holistic vet has positive results with acupuncture. Someone posted not too long ago about giving 1% milk (1/4-1/2 cup twice daily)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FreddyGirl

My Freddy, 5 1/2 years old, has been on Proin for almost 3 years. As far as I know, no bad side effects. I just reduced her dosage to 1/2 tablet once a day to see how she will fare. NO accidents. She also takes 0.4mg soloxine twice a day. What does DES stand for?

Miss Rose has been taking Proin for quite some time with no issues. I have been ordering it from KV Supply 50mg tab twice a day for a cost of appx $57.00 for a six month supply. My vet is a dream for faxing Rx to help with costs on a lot of different meds for my pups. I'm glad Lola had a good check up.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star