Does Your Grey Talk?

Guest TexasGreytMom

Guest TexasGreytMom

We've had greys in the past that make sounds occasionally. Our sweet senior, Mega, would say "ha-roof" when we talked to her. It was so cute!

And, now our girl Shelby is a real talker. She will look at us from across the room, make eye contact and whimper, whine or roo. When we adopted her, on our way home in the car, she began this.

In the morning when she wakes up, if I'm getting dressed in the bathroom and she's still laying on her bed at the foot of our bed, she will "call" me to go into the bedroom to tell her good morning.

We've never had a pup that talks as much as she does and it's so funny. It's nice to have a pup that's very interactive, social and communicative! Do you or have you had any pups that are real talkers?

Edited by TexasGreytMom

Zoe is our chatterbox. She whines, barks, whimpers A LOT. We will talk to her and then pause and she will "talk" back. It annoys my kids when they come home from college, but I actually find it endearing. It can get pretty quiet around here!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

My angel Polli was a talker and so is her son, Beau.

She never shut up! :blush Now, I would do just about anything to hear her drive me nuts!

I speak- he answers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My Tippynoodles is a talker! He does a BAROOOO when it is time to eat, we have taught him "Woof" and "Quiet" (a quiet woof) and I am working on teaching him to baroo on command. :lol

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Lima Bean can be a talker. Every now and again, she'll go on a long winded mix of whining, cooing, grunting for like 30 seconds. I swear she's lecturing me on her list of long standing grievances and then gets frustrated at me as I stare at her with an extremely blank, yet amused, look on my face. After this, she almost always walks away in a huff :lol:

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Our 2 brothers roo 3x a day, typically right on schedule. Brucie, however, is so talkative / whiney / chatty that one meet and greet was enough. He is not the typical hound and had a hard time keeping quiet! (yes, it drives us nuts sometimes!)

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Energy11

Oakly talks constantly, and jumps up and down, helicopter tail whirling! He is a nut! Curfew flat out barks at you, and shaps his jaws. The two girls are whiners, and Staggerlee is a quiet boy. He only whines when he is hungry or has to go out. :D:wub:

Guest mcsheltie

Our new foster Jessie (this thread) quietly says woof when she wants attention. She doesn't bark, she sounds like she is actually whispering woof. When you look at her she rams her head under your arm. She is the cutest thing!

Toni and Dude are particularly chatty. Cash can be when the occasion merits. Copper hardly makes a sound unless he's asleep (he snores) or you're rubbing his ears (eargasm).

Dude has a big vocabulary both for listening and talkin back. He will hold long back-and-forth conversations with you with an amazing array of sounds from barks and hoots to roos and whines. Toni is a champion whiner. ALL. THE. TIME. And it's, like, higher than dogs can hear - and piercing! OMG! I can hear it as soon as I get out of the car outside the house!

Cash has become vocal in the past few months. She barks like a maniac and spins around and around when we come home (all of them do actually). And she's developed what we call a "monkey whine" when she wants attention (also a new behavior). She puffs out her cheeks and sort of snort-whines at the same time. It reminds me of the Planet of the Apes movie - Roddy MacDowell's "chimp" character did this when they were aggravated.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest tricolorhounds

I'm beginning to think that Ketcheys sire was not named Lonesome Cry for nothing :lol OMG is that boys ROO pathetic, he sounds sooooooo sad. He roos all the time! He roos in the morning when he wants everyone to get up... he roos several times during the day just for the heck of it and he roos when either my DD or I leave the house.

Gain will roo on command but his is a happy playful roo. Gain has a range of vocalizations when you ask him "What do you say..." It goes from little yips to barks to roos.

Bonks barks all the time. He barks to wake you up in the morning, he barks at you if he wants a cookie, he barks if he hears a noise outside, he barks if he sees something outside and so on and so on... He skipped the chapter that says GH's aren't barkers. There is no ignoring him either. He is a good boy just very persistant.

Coppers nickname is Chewy after Chewbacca. He talks up a storm mainly when it's time for everyones medicine... He barks, yips and makes a rouff sound.

My little princess Savannah on the other hand has barked less than a handful of times in 5 years. It's so infrequent that when she does, the boys run to her to find out what is wrong.

Lucky for me thought, none of mine are whiners... whining drives me up the wall.

Edited by tricolorhounds

Guest DoofBert

Yes we have talkers...

Bacchus prefers a whining tone (that's why we call him Bacchus -- God of the w(h)ine)

Tania is a barker... demands conversation!

Li'l Emmy is starting to be vocal too!

Guest EmbersDad

my boy, hero, is a real talker. he has my girlfriend wrapped around his paw and he loves talking to her and me. althea is still the quiet one while all this goes on.

Oh yes...

A conversation with Echo:

Family roo from 2005....so many bridge kids in there :candle

that conversation got both hero and althea downstairs, cocking their heads and listening intently. whatever was said, they understood...personally i think echo wanted belly rubs :lol

Bonny loves to bark. For example, if you ask her if she wants to go out she'll start barking her head off. She also sighs and squeal quite a bit.

Darcy is a whiner. She'll look right at you and start whining her list of grievances.

Celeste is our quiet one... she'd rather sleep than talk.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Roscoe is a whiner. Alllll the time. But when he really wants something he'll get more persistant. I'll look at him and say "what?" and he goes bananas with barks and whines and the strangest moaning and groaning noises I've ever heard.

He's a goof.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest TexasGreytMom

Oh yes...

A conversation with Echo:

Family roo from 2005....so many bridge kids in there :candle

I played them, too, for our girls and they went nuts! Loved the videos - especially the first one where at the end Echo flips over on his back! Too cute!

Guest Energy11

Today, Staggerlee proved me wrong. I have never heard him do this, but he wanted to go for their walk, and he told me about it, told me about it, told me about it, and it literally looked like he was trying to talk! It was soooooooooooo cute! :rolleyes:

Guest TeddysMom

Teddy is my loud mouth. He barks at everything and cries for anything he wants. He barks at the other dogs to get them to play with him. Spice has been here almost 2 weeks and I have not heard any sound out of her except a few snarks when one of the other dogs tries to cuddle with her on her bed. She is just starting to get up to see whats going on when the others start barking.

Saint can talk your head off, just ask anyone on GT who has spoken to me on the phone or visited my house! I actually had to teach him the word quiet because he could drive a normal person insane! He really bad when I'm on the phone, just like a little kid, he starts up until I get off.:rolleyes:

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Aston is quiet unless he's REALLY REALLY amped to do something (usually eat or go outside) or REALLY REALLY offended (my boss tried to move him while he was lying down by grabbing his legs - ROOOOF! and then a boisterous lab puppy tried to hump him at the vet's office -- ROOOF ROOF!). My fiance also gets Aston super worked-up at playtime - he hops down on the ground in front of Aston and strikes a playbow, then does the freeze-and-watch-out-of-the-corner-of-your-eye thing for a few seconds before batting at Aston's head or side, then repeat. Aston responds in kind and starts ROOFing :blush they're bffs. I'm just learning about how to play with dogs..

For the first couple years we thought Stella would growl when she played with us, we knew she wasn't upset just thought it was a quirk of hers. Then one day we heard a real growl from her (when a hot air balloon went by) and we learned the difference between her play 'grumbles' and a 'back off growl'

We got lots of roos and grumbles but in the 9 fantastic years we were lucky enough to have her, the only time we ever heard her bark or growl was if a hot air balloon went by. The first time it actually brought my neighbours on both sides out in shock 'was that Stella, did she actually bark????'

My girl was terrified of flies and snowmen and a burglar in the house would have had to step over her as she stayed lounging, but should our neighbourhood have ever been invaded by a thundering horde in hot air balloons I have no doubt we would have been safe :rofl

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.