Happy Can Be Happy Once Again

Xan

Happy was a trooper. She was good-natured through a rough life, always ready with a waggy tail. Her farm owner said she was always wagging, "even when she was in trouble." Rascal! :wub: The name Happy went with her from puppyhood, through her racing career, back to the farm to be a broody, and then to train puppies on the whirligig, all the way home to us. I don't think we ever even considered changing it!

She came to us two years ago, thin as a string, with teeth to have nightmares about, a fatty lipoma (we determined) and a rash. And all sweetness and wags. She survived getting half her teeth pulled, and soldiered through illness for two more years with us. She learned to walk on the leash finally. :rolleyes: She learned three tricks: hippy hop (a quick rearing jump), spin (one turn clockwise), and sit (very tricky with her broken hock, especially on the wood floor), though she couldn't reliably tell the commands apart, and would just keep doing whichever popped into her head 'til the treat fell into her mouth. :lol Even though she was a little thing compared to my boys, if there was petting or treats happening, she'd muscle right in there for her share.

I called her Tin Cup when she dragged her muzzle back and forth on the dog yard gate, like a jailed prisoner in an old movie. Or UN-Happy, her alter ego, when she wailed and whined, which she did quite a bit, in anticipation, or boredom, or who knows why? She just had a lot to say. Sometimes she said it in a most coloratura roo! Not just "Rroooooo!", but "Roo-ooOO-ooOO-ooOO-ooOO....!" Serious lungs on that girl!

Sometimes, she'd go over and stand over one of the other dogs as they lay on a bed or in the yard. Just stand there, looking off. The other dog never seemed to mind, or even take notice after an inquisitive sniff. It seemed companionable. She'd do that with us, too, if we sat on the floor, practically standing on our laps. It didn't seem to be about petting. Just standing. Really close. :huh2:P

Happy was a dog's dog. She was a marker - always outside, of course! With a peculiar flair! Because of her broken hock, she would swing that leg around in a jazz dance-like flourish to achieve her squat. Made me smile every time! :inlove And she was a hunter. When the other dogs obliviously passed small animals, she was practically on point. She loved to snuffle and root in the tall grasses surrounding our house. Even with a muzzle on, she managed to down and smush a big dragonfly last summer. :lol Oh, and yes, she needed that muzzle. Not because she would bite, but because she was a serious poop-eater! :puke

She was a game gal. If you asked her to do something, she did it. Usually with complete docility. Sometimes with that polite air that you understood to mean she only did it because you asked, and she was too much of a lady to say no. We saw more and more of that over the last few weeks, until finally she did say no, but still with good manners. She simply turned away, so as not to make a fuss over how rude we were being to her.

Happy is gone now. Or gone into the greater whole. Either way, we miss her sweet spirit, kind nature, wagging tail, and butting snoot. There's huge relief in us that she's finally out of pain, and huge pain that she's out of our lives.

You've waited patiently. Here are the pictures, as required. :rules

Here she stand over Pogo, who does his part.

DSCF2609.jpg

Here she is, right after her brutal dental, snoot all swollen, ribs and backbone still sadly prominent.

H-postdent2.jpg

I have several pictures of her snuggling with Wabi. Or rather Wabi snuggling with her. :inlove These are from the last week or so. Wabi wanted to be pretty much ON Happy a lot of the time. We had to make sure she wasn't stepping on her pretty often, especially when she was getting her IV drip, and all wrapped up in a blanket.

H-W-cuddle.jpg

H-W-cuddle-1.jpg

Back in happier times.

HapWab-snuggle1.jpg

Happy meets the "girls" on our neighborhood walk route.

H-cowsW.jpg

I think DH must have better pictures than I do! He just said he'd been looking at pictures of her, all hail and hardy, from last spring maybe.

I'll leave you with this one.

H-pinkmouse1.jpg

Good-bye, Happy.

Please excuse any typos or other writing mishaps. I'm not operating at full capacity yet.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was beautiful....I am so sorry for your loss.... :cry1

Run free Happy.... :gh_run2

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Ohiogreymom

Oh Xan, I'm SO sorry! :brokenheart Happy is SO beautiful. :wub: I know what you mean about the huge relief of no more pain, and that's the only good thing about letting them go. :( Your girl is running pain free now, and is truly "Happy" once again. :bighug:f_pink:f_pink:gh_run

Saying I'm sorry just sounds so ordinary Xan, but what else does one say? You've been through the mill and back and I know that trip well. You and DH are in my prayers.

Happy, God speed little girl, you now run with all the Angels, healthy once again. You fought with dignity and grace and you leave behind a true legacy of love.

Please watch over all those who love you

:gh_run

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytbookert

I've never met Happy but there was something about that girl that made my heart sing.

I'm sorry that she had to leave you.

Run free beautiful!

Guest hannahmom

Xan, you are in my thoughts tonight.

If love and hope and sheer effort of will could have kept her with you, she'd be with us still.

She was adored, and left you knowing that.

:bighug my friend

Guest greyt2love

I am so sorry for your loss. You tried so hard, Xan. Happy was a beautiful girl and now she can be pain-free and happy once again ! Godspeed, Happy girl !!

Edited by greyt2love

Oh no, I'm heartbroken for you, Xan. Be painfree, Happy and look for Loca! The two of you will have a blast together :f_red

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry for your loss Xan. You gave her every thing she needed. Wabi is going to miss her snuggle buddy. My heart goes out to you all. Godspeed Happy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee