Tuna's Ramp

Sorcha

So I was talking with my dogsitter about how I would likely to have to cancel plans for going away for a day next weekend because I can't expect her to carry Tuna in and out of the house the way I have been doing. The handyman who came out a week ago never did get back with me so I guess he did not want the job. The dogsitter said she had a neighbor who was very handy and had some pieces of wood left over from a project and together they would make Tuna a ramp. Neither one would accept my offer to reimburse them for the materials or their time which, being out of work and on a tight budget, I am extremely grateful.

Stairs008.jpg

I wonder about the slat at the very bottom. do you think they are necessary? The carpeting is actually individual door mats, and there is no carpeting under where the slats are (aside from the bottom one).

Stairs006.jpg

Stairs005.jpg

I was hoping the ramp would be wider, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth! It will work, it's just going to take some practice for Tuna especially going down (she just wants to leap off the side).

Edited by Sorcha

Guest Energy11

DH just looked at your ramp! He said it looks really nice! WOW, it is sooo cool they did it for FREE!!!! Ours is an actualy handicapped type ramp, but we used something similar to yours, when we first moved here.

Looks like that is really thick wood, too, so it won't give. Does Tuna like it?

I am happy you have it!! Hugs to you and to Tuna! What cute name, for a cute girl! Love, Dee and The Five

p.s. DH also said, that last slat probably isn't necessary, but you'd have to be sure, if you removed it, to tack down the carpeting.

Edited by Energy11

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Nice ramp. I think the only use for the slats is to prevent slipping. Probably only needed if there was ice on the ramp. As far as jumping off the side, if you have lawn chairs you could put them along the edge to block her.

Guest Energy11

OUR handicapped ramp has slats just like that, but under the carpeting, and it does help with slippage. We have side rales on ours. The old one had nothing on the sides, but it was really wide.

Yeah, chairs or something on the sides, might be good.

It looks really nice! I agree, maybe put something along the sides to prevent her from jumping off the sides and maybe walk with her down it? But great job and yay free!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

That's a wonderful ramp. Nice and gradual. The slats will help if the ramp gets wet, and especially if it gets snowy--snow makes carpet very slippery (not sure where you are).

I wouldn't worry about the last slat--I don't think it will do any harm, and it might help. I like the lawn chair idea too.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Yes, the slats are there to keep her from slipping, and they also cover up the spaces where there is no carpeting. The bottom one seems to bug her so it might need to go but I don't have anything to tack the carpeting down if I remove it. Hmmm...

The wood is thick and does not give for Tuna's weight, it's two pieces of pressure treated lumber glued together.

I walk on the step by her side (with her against the house), holding her by her harness when she is on the ramp. I am not going to trust her to go up and down by herself.

* edited for typo *

Edited by Sorcha

Guest Energy11
Yes, the slats are there to keep her from slipping, and they also cover up the spaces where there is no carpeting. The bottom one seems to bug her so it might need to go but I don't have anything to tack the carpeting down if I remove it. Hmmm...

The wood is thick and does not give for Tuna's weight, it's two pieces of pressure treated lumber glued together.

I walk on the step by her side (with her again the house), holding her by her harness when she is on the ramp. I am not going to trust her to go up and down by herself.

Good idea on the harness when she is going down. RE: tacking it ... you can buy carpet tacks in Wal-mart of someplace cheap like that. DH has a staple gun, and that is how ours is tacked.

OUR handicapped ramp has slats just like that, but under the carpeting, and it does help with slippage. We have side rales on ours. The old one had nothing on the sides, but it was really wide.

So if I picked up more of the door mats (I would have to find out where they got them) and cut them into pieces to go over the slats that might help. But, I don't have a tool to tack them in place. Hmmm...

I walk on the step by her side (with her again the house), holding her by her harness when she is on the ramp. I am not going to trust her to go up and down by herself.

Good idea on the harness when she is going down. RE: tacking it ... you can buy carpet tacks in Wal-mart of someplace cheap like that. DH has a staple gun, and that is how ours is tacked.

Eureka, carpet tacks - great idea. However, will they rust being outside? Maybe I can find a staple gun to borrow, although I imagine the stapes will rust.

Edited by Sorcha

Guest Energy11

So if I picked up more of the door mats (I would have to find out where they got them) and cut them into pieces to go over the slats that might help. But. I don't have a took to tack them in place. Hmmm...

Eureka, carpet tacks - great idea. However, will they rust being outside? Maybe I can find a staple gun to borrow, although I imagine the stapes will rust.

Yours should be fine the way they are. Just that DH put ours under the carpeting. It is huge, long piece.

For holding that last edge down, when it's dry out and going to be dry for 24 hours, some good duct tape. Wrap it around a couple times. It'll hold for a good long while. Next easiest is outdoor carpet glue. Again it'll need to be dry for 24 hours, and you'll want to use some books or something to weight the glued edge down. It too works quite well.

So glad you got a ramp built *and* that she is agreeing to use it! Your dogsitter's neighbor rocks.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

beautiful ramp, greyt gift from a kind heart.

how about putting the ramp next to the house so you can walk her down on the outside at the edge of the steps. remember to have a fantastic treat to reward her and lure her going up and down. she deserves it and the handyman deserves one as well. sweets say it all!

beautiful ramp, greyt gift from a kind heart.

how about putting the ramp next to the house so you can walk her down on the outside at the edge of the steps. remember to have a fantastic treat to reward her and lure her going up and down. she deserves it and the handyman deserves one as well. sweets say it all!

I wish it could be against the house, but it's not possible. Coming out of the house, you have to make a turn to start down. It's hard to explain, but if the ramp was against the house, she would have to start down it on the far left side of the ramp but by moving the ramp over, she can go down the center of the ramp.

Oh, and she is not motivated by treats! Lots of holding onto her, guidance and praise does it.

That's a really nice ramp. What a wonderfully kind gesture.

Great idea holding on to her harness while she walks down :thumbs-up:nod

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest eaglflyt

What a great gift for the both of you!

I have a bit of a different opinion on the slats and the last slat. If you're in an area where you get sleet, ice, or snow, all those slats will be VERY useful in foul weather. Even rain will show their usefulness. We're actually adding slats to our ramp.

Good Luck!

What a great gift for the both of you!

I have a bit of a different opinion on the slats and the last slat. If you're in an area where you get sleet, ice, or snow, all those slats will be VERY useful in foul weather. Even rain will show their usefulness. We're actually adding slats to our ramp.

Good Luck!

So don't cover the slats, leave them as bare wood? Should I stain the wood or anything? I think I will sand the edges of the slats.

My ramp for the dogs is a little longer, but it's higher too. It's built in, wood and as wide as normal stairs would be, with a house on one side and a rail on the other side. I have indoor outdoor carpeting on our ramp. But over the last 4 years, I've had to replace it once. I used just plain finishing nails to hold it down. It's not been a real problem at all. All my dogs use the ramp, it's been a lifesaver!

Nice ramp and it looks pretty solid.

Are the slats screwed on from the bottom? If they are I would take them off and drill two or three small holes near the bottom to let the rain water drain. I would also do as you suggested and sand and either stain or just clear coat them with polyurethane.

Nice gift from your dogsitter and her neighbor.

Dick

What a thoughtful gift for you and Tuna. Glad your girl is still getting up and around. :wub:

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Nice ramp and it looks pretty solid.

Are the slats screwed on from the bottom? If they are I would take them off and drill two or three small holes near the bottom to let the rain water drain. I would also do as you suggested and sand and either stain or just clear coat them with polyurethane.

Nice gift from your dogsitter and her neighbor.

Dick

Yes, it is solid and heavy. I am not sure how the slats are fixed, it's dark now so I will check in the morning. The ramp is set in place in such a way that I can turn it on it's side (there are two handles on the side) and let it rest up against the house, which I plan to do when it's raining or snowing and not in use. It will be a real test the first time she uses it in the rain, we'll see how that goes.

I will buy sandpaper for the slats and I think I have some stain in the basement, I think I can manage to do that myself!

Re tacking the carpet: another method, albeit more labour intensive, is to get brass screws and finishing cup washers, like these ones:

94z0201s1.jpg

from Lee Valley Tools.

I use them to hold the stuff on our ramp.

No rust. No cut feet. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Re tacking the carpet: another method, albeit more labour intensive, is to get brass screws and finishing cup washers, like these ones:

94z0201s1.jpg

from Lee Valley Tools.

I use them to hold the stuff on our ramp.

No rust. No cut feet. :)

Thanks for the idea, but I think I have decided to leave the slats uncovered and just sand & stain them. I will keep this in mind to eventually replace whatever was used (I think staple gun?) when they start rusting. Although, sadly, I don't think the ramp will be in use for very long as Tuna is declining.

Guest Greensleeves

The fellow who built this seems like a pretty handy guy; I'm sure he used materials appropriate for the outdoors, which would include galvanized staples.

We have outdoor carpeting tacked to our deck steps with staples, and they've been there for going on four years without rusting. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

What a lovely, generous gesture; and you're so lucky you got it done while Tuna can use it. We were planning on having a ramp built for Whistler, but he passed away a few days before the carpenter was due to come. :(