Anyone Have Experience With The Heart Drug Enalapril?

Tracey

In case anyone didn't see my latest post about Chase, our vet consulted with another cardiologist because she wasn't comfortable with some of what she was hearing from the first one. After reviewing all of his records and test results, the new cardiologist and our vet think that the enlargement of his left atrium (nearly double the size of his aorta when they should be the same) is significant enough that he should be on Enalapril. 20 mg once a day for a week to get him used to it, then 20 mg twice a day from here on in. Thankfully, it is not an expensive drug. I picked up 75 of them for $10 on Wednesday.

What our vet told us as far as side effects is the drug has very few. She said the only symptom is generally kidney issues (I have to check and see if she meant incontinence or trouble going or what) and if he has those it will be early on. Beyond that, she said that there has been no proof that the drug is actually beneficial in slowing the progression of heart problems in dogs who aren't actually already in heart failure, which Chase is not. However, she said that vets generally believe it is worth prescribing in cases like Chase's even without evidence of any benefit.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this drug? I get that it's low risk, but I'm not too excited that Chase has to be on heart meds for the rest of his life, especially since he's not even 5 yet. undecided.gif

He's having another ECG next Wednesday at noon, also. Poor boy. Those clamps were painful.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Don't worry about using it. If Kris says it's good for him, it is!

The drug actually helps glomerular nephritis and high blood pressure issues; maybe that's what she was referring to.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy
Enalapril is one of those amazing drugs- relatively few side effects, inexpensive, EFFECTIVE. It can be a real godsend in some instances.

Good to hear. Tracey, please let Chase-man know I'm thinking about him. :grouphug

Enalapril can help the kidneys in certain types of kidney disease ... or, it can cause kidney impairment. So you would want to do bloodwork periodically to ensure no kidney side-effects. Sort of like you'd do if dog was on anti-inflammatories over a long period.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gracie had a stroke in June of this year due to undiagnosed high blood pressure. She is now on Enalapril (15 mg 2x a day) and also Amlodipine (5 mg 2x a day). She has had no side effects from either medication. Enalapril is a common med used in humans, and it is becoming more and more common for animals.

Gentle hugs to you and Chase as you go through this journey.

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Guest Energy11

Curfew is on Enalapril, 20 mg/daily. He is totally fine on it. I have seen no side effects. I am able to take his blood pressures myself with a infant BP cuff, and have given my findings to Dr. Couto, who also agrees with the dosage.

If anything, I would have the vet monitor Chase's blood pressure for a while to make sure it is within range. You very well may find, this drug is the answer to his diagnosis.

Good Luck and lots of love! Dee and The Five

Guest bellenzo

I have a pug who is thirteen and has been on enalapril since she was three when she was diagnosed with an enlarged heart. Except for some arthritis, she's in pretty good shape. Periodically I have a blood test for kidney function, but there haven't been any problems in all this time. I'm pretty sure it saved her life.

Guest Greensleeves
I'm not too excited that Chase has to be on heart meds for the rest of his life, especially since he's not even 5 yet.

Oh, gosh, no advice but I *totally* get this. I felt exactly the same when, at the age of 33, I was put on a lifesaving drug I'll have to take every day for the rest of my life. It really threw me. So go ahead and have a little pout--it's perfectly reasonable. But two years later, it's no big deal. :hug:

Pearl is on Enalapril and has been for almost 2 years. Not for heart disease but for her kidney disease. She is doing very well and has never had a problem with it. She will also be on it for the remainder of her life.

Same thing with Aggie. She started on it at around 11 yoa and is 13 1/2 now. I really believe it is good for her. (Very rare for me to endorse any drug.)

My Pearl...different from Gazehund's Pearl, was diagnosed with heart disease when she was 5. She celebrated her 12th birthday 3 weeks ago.

She's been on enalapril since then. Over the years we've added amlodipine, lasix, digoxin, phenoxybenzamine, atenolol, aspirin and most recently pimobendan.

She's still chasing my 5 y r old Opal. She feels terrific and you can't tell she has heart and hypertensive problems.

So.........don't be alarmed, they truely do have high quality of life on these drugs.

MP

My Chancy was on enalapril near the end. My vet told me that he felt it was so safe and beneficial, that it should be put in the public water supply. Slight exaggeration, of course, but the point was that by drug standards, it's a very safe one. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Iceman is on Enalapril (for almost 2 years now). He is doing great with it, no problems here. :)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest Hotdogs
Like everyone else, Sugar was on it for heart problems for over two years with no problems.

Charlie has been on it for 2 years for a heart murmur (leaky left side) and high blood pressure and he has not had any problems. Good to know that is can affect kidney function though.

Charlie has been on it for 2 years for a heart murmur (leaky left side) and high blood pressure and he has not had any problems. Good to know that it can affect kidney function though.

I have had 2 on it. No noted problems. Hopefully, you will see the benefits I did. Best of luck to you and your boy.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge