Hurley In Er

Get better soon Hurley :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I didn't check in with you guys today....I had to do homework for my class before work and I lost a lot of time with all this vet stuff!!

Hurley is doing well with the pain meds (the transdermal patch) and he is still in the ICU until at least Monday morning. We are both off Monday so it is THE ideal day to pick him up and bring him home :) Jim visited him tonight and I talked to the vet who performed the surgery today over the phone. She said he is still oozing from the surgical incision but that it is a clearish fluid, so not bad like bloody or cloudy ooze. Also, he has refused food so the goal for them is to see him eat before discharging him...I hope that can happen!!! He is so super-sensitive to being away from home or from us and I know he has refused kibble at boarding kennels...the canned food usually works. Also, he has got to be getting hungry and he is a non-stop food eater so I would worry if he doesn't have an appetite. The nourishment they give him through a tube is not enough.

So, maybe I should have visited him tonight....he loves me so much and I am his primary food giver so I might have been able to get him to eat....he likes it when I let him outside versus Jim, for example!

Well, I'll definitely see him tomorrow!!

Thanks again for caring...I know we all go through some pretty similar things!

I forgot to say that Rainey is one lucky girl since her stomach did flip and she did still recover!!! Good girl Rainey!!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest Energy11

I bet you are right. Bring him something yummy, and even if you have to hand feed, he will probably eat for you. Poor guy. You have all been through a lot. Good luck with getting him to eat!

Praying for Hurleys quick recovery! Just the thought of GDV upsets me terribly as I lost my soulmate Slim to this when he was only 6. He coded twice after the surgery. They revived him once; the 2nd time he got DIC and crossed over.

Hurley of much dysphoria is home!!

His medical report stated over and over that he was dysphoric (opposite of EUphoric...right??) and now he seems okay, not overly excited but very comfortable. We are not supposed to allow him onto the couch or beds because he has to jump BUT we tiered the futon pad in front of it and created 2 steps in front of the couch and blocked off the other part. He even went upstairs to lie down for a bit. He has a body stocking on so he looks a little funny or maybe he looks like a muscley mesh shirt-wearing kind of guy. But I hope it lasts as long as it needs to. 10-14 days until staples come out and 2 more weeks of restricted movement so I will be going outside a lot in the next month to supervise or leash walk him...one of my "favorite" things....oh well, having a purpose sometimes gives me more motivation than I usually have!

One other thing.....his clotting is a little bad....they had to do extra cauterizations to close up the incision and now his penis is hanging down and is red where it is attached to the abdomen so it's pretty swollen. Very noticeable if you have a view of it. I hope that goes away and does not get worse. I haven't seen the incision yet: first bandage change is coming up. We have to follow up on the clotting issue w/ our regular vet. Perhaps, Hurley did go into DIC like Slim did but not as badly. I run those tests in the lab at work everyday but my understanding of DIC is limited....I doubt he could have it and not get treated for it but who knows?

So sorry Slim :angelwings did not make it through this type of emergency....Hurley is my soulmate/ heart dog and the thought of losing him makes my stomach twist and flip and everything else. Hurley is also 6. Perhaps Slim was watching over my guy!

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest Energy11

That is quite a MAJOR surgery your Hurley went through. Very major. Sound like you and he are on track with his care. I would just keep a close eye on him, and take it day by day. I am soo sorry he and you had to go through this.

Love, hugs and tons of prayers for him to heal fast!

So glad he is doing well. Sending scritchies, and some hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hurley is still doing well and recovering nicely. We are slowly adapting his med schedule to our work schedule and he is still fine! Last night was rough...he wanted to climb onto our bed but we stopped him and he was wearing the cone on his head so it annoyed him a little. He will adjust and soon he will be able to do things normally again.

The total bill came to $3K so I was happy because I thought she meant the surgery alone was that much!

This morning, I got to bask in his attention just like usual...he stands in front of me smiling and breathing on me while I give him neck scritchies and he tries to lick my mouth but settles for smelling my breath as I blow on his sweet nose!! My little loverboy!!

Siggy4.jpg

Guest Energy11

Great report! What a trooper that boy is!

Glad this all turned out well for you guys! :-))) Hugs from us here in the wet, windy, N. GA Mountains! (*We are getting some of that hurricane).

This morning, I got to bask in his attention just like usual...he stands in front of me smiling and breathing on me while I give him neck scritchies and he tries to lick my mouth but settles for smelling my breath as I blow on his sweet nose!! My little loverboy!!

That makes my day to read that! I feel like he breathed on me too. :yay:inlove

Just reading this and thank god he is fine now! Bloat is something I always worry about, kinda like colic in a horse. I really keep a strict schedule for my dogs.

Why did he bloat? Any idea? Any precautions would be great to hear.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

No fundraiser needed...we hope to have insurance cover a third of it or more! That is a huge help.

The bloat was from a peanut butter sandwich since we had 2 open loaves of bread and we gave the rest of the older loaf to the dogs....with a horrible outcome. I think Hurley has always had issue every once in awhile...he chokes and coughs during eating more than our other 2 or will have breathing issues after swallowing numerous things (previous ICU stay was for aspiration pneumonia which could have been caused by swallowing vomit or bile from the stomach into the lungs) and we thump him on both sides of the chest (coupage). We more or less got agreement on our theories from the vets but they have better terms for what is going on.

So, I don't have any specific precautions but I do notice that Hurley chews more now and goes slower with treats. It could just be from the ordeal but I hope it lasts...he has always wolfed and gulped down his food as though it would go away if not quickly eaten.

We had a good night last night: he slept on our bed but is not allowed to get off by himself....we think it helps his spirit so we thought it was worth it.

So far, the incision is not bothering him, no attempts have been made to lick it so I hope that lasts longer. I am sure it could get itchy after awhile!

Siggy4.jpg

You might try putting an upside down bowl in his food bowl to slow him down when he eats. There are also commercially made food bowls with protrusions in them for the same purpose - available at most pet stores. Brake-Fast bowls I think they're called.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly