Too Cold?

Guest limbrooke83

Guest limbrooke83

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right forum, but here goes anyway:

For those of you who live in cold climates, at what temperature (Fahrenheit) do you usually start putting coats on your greys? It's been in the lower 30s here for a week or two, and DeeDee's coat just arrived today. I know she's wanting to get out and run a bit, but today it just happens to be in around 46-47ish degrees outside (and sunny!). Would you let your greys run without coats in in 46 degree weather for an hour or so? Or would you put their coats on? Just curious what other grey owners do, since DeeDee is my first. Thanks!

-Brooke

If my girl is going out to just walk around the yard a bit, which usually means a quick run also, she doesn't wear her coat until its down below 35..however, if she is going for a walk which is usually 45 minutes, she wears her fleece coat..under freezing and she wears a snood with her fleece, under 25 and the blizzard boots come on.

We're in Ohio with frigid winters and my girl loves to walk..last winter I had her in leg warmers, boots, snood, coat and and pjs underneath..she stayed warm as can be and loved walking, we never missed a day even though I hated it..spoiled thing, we put in a fenced area for her but she only goes potty on the leash

I think part of it depends upon the size, age, and general condition of the hound. A big, young, strong male may have no problems at all in those temperatures, while a petite, older girl that doesn't eat well so she's very skinny might have problems staying warm even well into the 60s.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Remember...they were born with a coat. :-)

If they go out in the back yard, they will be right back at the door ready to come inside if they are cold. If you are taking Dee Dee for long walks, she probably would appreciate an extra man-made coat.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest Energy11

My "Florida dogs," LOVE the cold! The colder, the better! They are like their Mommy!

Last winter, if we were going to walk them for a while, I'd do coats, but, just to go in and out, nope. They really didn't need them. I was amazed at how they handled the cold! :-))))))))))

None of us miss Florida!

I put coats on below 50 if not sunny (Light coats such as fleese) and the heavy coats come out for any weather under 40.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest DarkHorse

A coat goes on for Araley if it's just above freezing (depending on wind, as high as 5C (41F)). For Dexter, it's once it gets a bit below freezing (as low as -5C (23F)). That really depends on wind, how long we're out for and all that. At 46ish with sun, Dexter could probably be out for 30+minutes with no coat and not even notice it as long as he was running around.

When in doubt, though, we put on coats. It's easier to take them off and carry them than to get away from home and realize you need them.

Come to think of it, a couple of years ago a greyhound was found a couple of weeks after a car accident in Montana; it was February, and the dog was found in the yard of a retired dentist, who took in the hound. So- after the trauma of a car accident, presumably no food, and your typical February nights in Montana, the dog was alive.

Not to say this is how they SHOULD be treated, of course.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest mcsheltie

Unless it is freeeezing blizzard conditions we don't do coats to go outside just to potty (we have a fenced in yard) If they are wearing their jammies in the house I leave them on to go outside.

Once it gets below 60 I judge by the wind, sun (or lack of it) and how each dog reacts to the weather to decide whether to put on coats for other activities. We were lure coursing this weekend. It was in the 50s, but the wind was blowing and they were cold. I had light winter coats on them all day (and on me too!)

I have gone a bit overboard with the coats tho :) They each have a light fleece coat, a flannel lined windbreaker, a rain coat, a light winter coat and a parka :rolleyes:

One of our girls gets cold and starts shaking when it gets below 70 and we have one that is never cold. They are just like me and DH!

feel your dog. if it is cold to touch, then a coat is needed. as long as they are moving they should be warm, but they need to be walking and moving around. it depends upon the wind, time of day/night and humidity, the same way you decide that you need a light jacket or a wool coat or a down parker. remember to feel them once they are moving and watch their perspiration- tongues hanging out. i have witness too many dogs overdressed who were really hot on walks.

i use a variety of coats: single layered tummy warmer by voyager, i have double layered fleece coats that i made, windproof lined (gortex type material w/ fleece) coat w. snood or a warm hudson bay blanket coat. needless to say, i have even more coats for myself. the winter is long and a new coat is like a cheap vacation, i always feel revived in a new jacket...and then make or buy something to match for the hounds.

also many a walk i have taken my dog's coat off as i unzipped mine.

Guest limbrooke83

Thanks, guys! This definitely helps! I ended up putting her coat on her for our trip to the dog park, since we usually stay at least an hour or more. I think it was the right decision - it felt pretty chilly out and I know I was VERY glad to have a coat on myself (though my fingers were begging for gloves!). DeeDee ran quite a bit but didn't do any more panting than usual after her runs, and the panting stopped quickly when she would lay down to rest. I also put her snood up after a bit, and she seemed to like that, although it wouldn't stay up over her ears while she ran, but oh well. :)

Thanks again for all of the advice! Us "newbies" can definitely learn a lot!

I was always told to take his coat off if he was going to be running around full out so that his back feet wouldn't risk getting caught in the belly band. Don't know how likely this was, but we've always done that when we go to a fenced-in area for zoomies. He doesn't run for more than 4 or 5 minutes anyway....

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest RocketDog

My dogs don't get their coats until it's below 38-40degrees unless we know we're going to be standing around outside for a while. If they are running or even walking briskly they tend to get panty if I put the coats on when it's warmer than that.

Odds are your dog lived in Kansas or Oklahoma outside 24/7 for more than a year and thrived with only a communal dog house and wading pool. No A/C, no coats, no snoods. no jammies. Best kept secret is that they really are dogs.

Granted, pets no longer have farm coats, but I'd venture to guess that most healthy greys don't really need a coat until about freezing, and that would be for long walks etc. , not running full out or a quick potty break. Some dogs are just cold natured and ill or elderly dogs may need coats sooner than others, but a lot of people do their greys a big disservice by wrapping them up in 19 layers of coats when Mom needs a windbreaker.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My guys are rarely outside, even for walks, for more than 20 minutes at a time. They aren't that happy wearing coats and tend to slow down on walks with them, so I save them for the coldest, windiest days in winter, below 20 to be sure.

At 32F it's the automn coat (a coton hoodie), at 14F it's the winter coat, at -13F it's the double coat... at -22 we add leggins...

:)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop