Bool, Today You Would've Been 14-happy Birthday

Guest Heehoo

Happy 14th Birthday sweet boy. It has been 6 years. I still miss you very much. You were my first black greyhound, you were my first cancer dog.

When I first started going over to Southland, after I adoped Snowy, my husband & I would go on Saturday nights, eat dinner & watch the dogs run. We made friends with Alan Harrell and he had a dog running at the time named Bool. My husband would put money on Bool, and usually came home with something.

After Gene died in September, I continued to go there and have dinner, watch the dogs run, make new friends because lots of people there knew I was volunteering at the adoption kennel and would talk to me about the dogs.

One day while at work, I saw that Bool was up for adoption. I called and said I wanted him and went over on Friday and got him. This dog had so much personality and one of the things he did when he got excited was "clack" his teeth. It made so much noise people actually thought he was snapping at them. When I would come home in the afternoons he'd pinch my arms, I always had bruises on the inside of my arm.

I haven't ever met another sweet personality like Bool had. I was devastated when my vet called me at 6 in the morning to tell me he had a ruptured tumor on his liver. :beatheart

4008299760_aeb8fc74c2.jpg

Handsome Bool. :heart

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Handsome, handsome boy.

Happy Birthday at the Bridge, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh let me tell you story of him falling in the lake. Actually of him jumping in the lake. When I adopted Bool, I had Snowy Pegasus & Brogan. I lived on a lake in Southaven. The back part of the yard was not fenced because of the Home Owners Association. So with each dog, I would walk them around the yard for a couple of weeks showing them that the lake was wet, not a good place & don't jump in. Now I adopted Bool on December 18th...which by the way was Dear's birthday!!! So for a few weeks, I'd walk Bool around on a long leash & he'd watch everyone running & playing. It so happened that it snowed that year on Christmas Eve also. And then turned off really cold & the lake froze over. So at the end of 2 weeks, I decided when I came home for lunch to let Bool out with everyone. Wrong thing to do. He went straight out to the edge of the lake & jumped in the lake, which was frozen over!!!!! And where he jumped, it used to be 3 feet, now it was 8 feet deep because in the summer, I had work done on the retaining wall & they dug mud out from the bottom of the lake to fill in. So here I go in after him. I'm calling him back the entire time & he's steadily going the wrong way. Finally when he heard me jump in, he turned around & came back. The whole time I'm holding on to the retaining wall with one hand & holding his collar with the other. He's freezing & getting weak, I'm yelling now for help & of course everyone is at work. Above me on dry land is Snowy Pegasus & Brogan. So I get my foot between two boards under water, then I pull on Bool's collar & try to encourage him to put his front feet on the retaining wall & help me pull up. No go. Suddenly I hear Bool yelp & I see Pegasus grabbing at him. He grabs his ear first, then grabs the collar & bears down, started backing up & pulling. The other dogs are barking & I started pushing with one hand. Pegasus pulls Bool out of the water, and they take off running & playing. Me....I'm still in the frozen water!!! Finally I get one leg up on the edge of the retaining wall & roll over on to dry land. Here all the dogs come like Hey come play with us. So I get everyone in the house, and I'm undressing these wet clothes & I kept noticing blood everywhere. AH!!! Bool's ear is ripped. So I called work & told them what happened, then called Dr Blackburns & they said come in now! So I get Bool in the car, and get to the vet. Now Gerald can give me this look like Okay that's a really incredible story but aren't you stretching it with the Pegasus helped part. Uh no...check out the ear. Okay yea the ear is torn, wait...this dog is soaking wet. (Ya think) and so he kept Bool over night. The next day when I called, he said Uh how did he get those scraps on his chest & belly....I said Gers, I have a wooden retaining wall...weren't you listening? So he kept Bool for the day & night, due to freezing weather & the trauma & then the next afternoon he came home. After that Bool & Pegasus were best friends. I sure miss those boys. :beatheart

Edited by Heehoo

Oh let me tell you story of him falling in the lake. Actually of him jumping in the lake. When I adopted Bool, I had Snowy Pegasus & Brogan. I lived on a lake in Southaven. The back part of the yard was not fenced because of the Home Owners Association. So with each dog, I would walk them around the yard for a couple of weeks showing them that the lake was wet, not a good place & don't jump in. Now I adopted Bool on December 18th...which by the way was Dear's birthday!!! So for a few weeks, I'd walk Bool around on a long leash & he'd watch everyone running & playing. It so happened that it snowed that year on Christmas Eve also. And then turned off really cold & the lake froze over. So at the end of 2 weeks, I decided when I came home for lunch to let Bool out with everyone. Wrong thing to do. He went straight out to the edge of the lake & jumped in the lake, which was frozen over!!!!! And where he jumped, it used to be 3 feet, now it was 8 feet deep because in the summer, I had work done on the retaining wall & they dug mud out from the bottom of the lake to fill in. So here I go in after him. I'm calling him back the entire time & he's steadily going the wrong way. Finally when he heard me jump in, he turned around & came back. The whole time I'm holding on to the retaining wall with one hand & holding his collar with the other. He's freezing & getting weak, I'm yelling now for help & of course everyone is at work. Above me on dry land is Snowy Pegasus & Brogan. So I get my foot between two boards under water, then I pull on Bool's collar & try to encourage him to put his front feet on the retaining wall & help me pull up. No go. Suddenly I hear Bool yelp & I see Pegasus grabbing at him. He grabs his ear first, then grabs the collar & bears down, started backing up & pulling. The other dogs are barking & I started pushing with one hand. Pegasus pulls Bool out of the water, and they take off running & playing. Me....I'm still in the frozen water!!! Finally I get one leg up on the edge of the retaining wall & roll over on to dry land. Here all the dogs come like Hey come play with us. So I get everyone in the house, and I'm undressing these wet clothes & I kept noticing blood everywhere. AH!!! Bool's ear is ripped. So I called work & told them what happened, then called Dr Blackburns & they said come in now! So I get Bool in the car, and get to the vet. Now Gerald can give me this look like Okay that's a really incredible story but aren't you stretching it with the Pegasus helped part. Uh no...check out the ear. Okay yea the ear is torn, wait...this dog is soaking wet. (Ya think) and so he kept Bool over night. The next day when I called, he said Uh how did he get those scraps on his chest & belly....I said Gers, I have a wooden retaining wall...weren't you listening? So he kept Bool for the day & night, due to freezing weather & the trauma & then the next afternoon he came home. After that Bool & Pegasus were best friends. I sure miss those boys. :beatheart

OMG, Hilda, that is an amazing story!! I can't believe you had to jump in the freezing water after him, and that Pegasus helped pull Bool out of the water!! WOW!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I couldn't believe it either. I did try to call him & get him to come back, but he just kept going in the opposite direction. I guess he thought the ice would hold him up. Lets just say that when I got him home, he never went back near the water. I had this thought while I kinda sat there after I got out, like I could've drowned. We both could've drown! Looking up over my head & seeing Pegasus grab Bool by the ear, then the collar!!!!!....was just amazing!

Guest 3greysinPA
I couldn't believe it either. I did try to call him & get him to come back, but he just kept going in the opposite direction. I guess he thought the ice would hold him up. Lets just say that when I got him home, he never went back near the water. I had this thought while I kinda sat there after I got out, like I could've drowned. We both could've drown! Looking up over my head & seeing Pegasus grab Bool by the ear, then the collar!!!!!....was just amazing!

This story melts my heart too... thank you for sharing with us..

happy birthday at the bridge Bool f_yellowf_yellow:grouphug:grouphug

Happy Birthday Sweetheart. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.