Cushings Disease

The results are in and Warlock's dexamethasone suppression test came back normal. My vet called an endocrinologist because he couldn't believe the tests were normal and the expert says it's possible to get a false negative, but he thinks Warlock should have ultrasounds done. I asked my vet if that means we're looking for tumors and/or cancer and he said yes. I lost it then!

Hang in there. I know the feeling of actually wanting something like Cushing's so you at least know the problem & have a way to treat it. It hurts to feel you cannot help your pup. Glad you are in contact with an endocrinologist & that you've got the ultrasound scheduled. Keep the faith. Endocrinology is a mysterious science. It could still be Cushing's or it could be something else. Even if they are thinking adrenal tumor, remember there would be good chance it was benign. Also remember that the symptoms of Cushing's & Addision's can be oddly similar sometimes.

You're using a bellyband on him, right? They are very helpful. Human incontinence diapers, the ones with straps/belts, worked wonderfully well for dogs with excessive drinking. Just wrap it around their middle like a cummerbund & tape the ends together.

Sending prayers.

I only use a belly band while he's napping because he's like a leaky faucet and he drips. When I'm not here to let him out every 2 hours I don't use the band because his water intake is so high he pees a lake, and the band would be useless and uncomfortable for him. I have the large hospital pads down for him and most of the time he uses them...bless his heart.

I'll update tomorrow evening.

Keep Warlock in your thoughts and prayers. He's my rock and it hurts that he's sick.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be thinking about you Denise. I hope you have positive news about your boy. It's been a rough year for you.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Hugs to you and Warlock!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

We're back from having the ultra-sounds done and the good news...no tumors or masses found anywhere and his liver, spleen, kidneys, and intestines look good. His adrenal glands are slightly enlarged but they are equally enlarged on both sides. Dr. C and Dr. N said that is also typical for a Cushings dog. Warlock's heart chambers are slightly narrow and he is slightly hypertensive, also another Cushings symptom.

Between the 3 vets who have now seen him...they all still think it's Cushings and Dr. Carol ran an ACTH stimulation test. They all suspect it's probably a pituitary tumor, that thankfully isn't spreading anywhere else right now.

Dr. Carol also confirmed my suspicion of LS. She checked and he dropped in the hind-end. We can't do a depo shot just in case we do need to start meds for Cushings. He'll get meloxicam and tramadol to keep him comfortable in the meantime.

My sweet boy was slightly dehydrated by the time everything was done. He peed in the van on the way to the vet, peed as soon as we got there and then peed as soon as the ultrasound was done. So three lakes in about 3 hours. I feel so bad for him. I'm going to start giving him pedialyte and gatorade to help keep his electrolytes up even though the blood-work is showing all the levels are still good, but for how long if we don't give his kidneys a rest.

So, no real answers, but at least I know there's no cancer hiding anywhere and that's a big relief.

Thanks everyone for all the good thoughts and prayers. Warlock still needs them while we wait for test results.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

If in fact it is Cushings, and it's pituitary dependant, most are benign, and very slow growing.

Hoping for some answers for you two and hoping for the very best!

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thinking positive thoughts for you and your boy.....

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest spider9174

I was wondering if you'd be interested in trying this...My girl has pituitary related Cushings. Her symptoms were pretty much the same as your. Her ultrasound came back with some reactivity, but nothing abnormal indicating a tumor. Her ACTH test did show Cushings, though. She would drink bowls of water and pee and pee and pee. Poor thing couldn't go 2 hours without peeing in her crate. She had digestive problems and frequent big d. She is exercise intolerant. And when she'd pee in her crate she'd look so pathetic. I know she was sad.

She's young, 6.5 (was 5 when diagnosed.) I was against going with Lysodren to start. I actually wanted to try anipryl. My vet said...well, it might be a shot in the dark, but since you want to start slow and don't want to tr Lysodren, why not try a "natural" approach. She said try 3 mg Melatonin 2x/day and 1-2 teaspoons Flaxseed oil with lignins 2x/day. She said it might take 2 months to see any changes. Within the first month, she had only a few accidents and now a year later has only had a a few accidents. This was the same dog that I was doing laundry 3 times a day for. Morning, when I got home, and 2-3 am in the morning when I let her out to potty.

Incidentally...melatonin is frequently given to ferrets that have adrenal disease. They are very prone to what equates to Cushing's. They get adrenal gland tumors. Anyhow, with ferrets they will do melatonin implants. So, when my vet suggested it, i thought well, I will give it a try. It won't work with every dog and I don't believe it works with advanced stages. I have been told to expect to move to more invasive drugs eventually. So...there you go...it might be worth asking your vet about it. I also looked into this with respect to people...Melatonin is thought to have some affect in brain tissue to prevent dementia. It isn't well understood or well documented but there are some tests/trials going on. It is thought to help prevent alzheimer's, possibly. Thus, it would be reasonable that it could act on the pituitary gland.

I've also started giving her a couple of supplements that I've seen suggested. Cushing's can mess with the immune system. So, I've been giving spirulina (immune support). It also can enlarge the liver and have liver reactivity. So, I give her cholodin, also recommended.

Edited by spider9174

I was wondering if you'd be interested in trying this...My girl has pituitary related Cushings. Her symptoms were pretty much the same as your. Her ultrasound came back with some reactivity, but nothing abnormal indicating a tumor. Her ACTH test did show Cushings, though. She would drink bowls of water and pee and pee and pee. Poor thing couldn't go 2 hours without peeing in her crate. She had digestive problems and frequent big d. She is exercise intolerant. And when she'd pee in her crate she'd look so pathetic. I know she was sad.

She's young, 6.5 (was 5 when diagnosed.) I was against going with Lysodren to start. I actually wanted to try anipryl. My vet said...well, it might be a shot in the dark, but since you want to start slow and don't want to tr Lysodren, why not try a "natural" approach. She said try 3 mg Melatonin 2x/day and 1-2 teaspoons Flaxseed oil with lignins 2x/day. She said it might take 2 months to see any changes. Within the first month, she had only a few accidents and now a year later has only had a a few accidents. This was the same dog that I was doing laundry 3 times a day for. Morning, when I got home, and 2-3 am in the morning when I let her out to potty.

Incidentally...melatonin is frequently given to ferrets that have adrenal disease. They are very prone to what equates to Cushing's. They get adrenal gland tumors. Anyhow, with ferrets they will do melatonin implants. So, when my vet suggested it, i thought well, I will give it a try. It won't work with every dog and I don't believe it works with advanced stages. I have been told to expect to move to more invasive drugs eventually. So...there you go...it might be worth asking your vet about it. I also looked into this with respect to people...Melatonin is thought to have some affect in brain tissue to prevent dementia. It isn't well understood or well documented but there are some tests/trials going on. It is thought to help prevent alzheimer's, possibly. Thus, it would be reasonable that it could act on the pituitary gland.

I've also started giving her a couple of supplements that I've seen suggested. Cushing's can mess with the immune system. So, I've been giving spirulina (immune support). It also can enlarge the liver and have liver reactivity. So, I give her cholodin, also recommended.

Thank you!!! When you mentioned the melatonin it reminded me of what a vet told me several years ago when I was going thru severe anxiety with my angel girl Brooke. She also told me about the affects it has on the brain tissue and had me give her 5mg twice a day...it helped her immensely! And Warlock is also on immune support...the same support I'm giving Flippy who just finished chemo.

Thank you so much!

Any word on the ACTH?

We're thinking of you both

The ACTH was negative. I just dropped off a urine sample and should have some results this afternoon. Warlock was started on proin on Fri. to help with leaking and he finally had a dry night and was able to get some sleep. He hasn't been able to sleep for over a week now, and we know how our greys like to sleep. The lack of sleep was really starting to take its toll on him, and me too.

So Warlock still has the "mystery illness". If the UA comes back negative then I'll ask for a tick panel next.

We really need to find the cause soon, because he can't keep going like this much longer. :(

Any word on the ACTH?

We're thinking of you both

The ACTH was negative. I just dropped off a urine sample and should have some results this afternoon. Warlock was started on proin on Fri. to help with leaking and he finally had a dry night and was able to get some sleep. He hasn't been able to sleep for over a week now, and we know how our greys like to sleep. The lack of sleep was really starting to take its toll on him, and me too.

So Warlock still has the "mystery illness". If the UA comes back negative then I'll ask for a tick panel next.

We really need to find the cause soon, because he can't keep going like this much longer. :(

I sure hope they culture the urine

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Good news on the ACTH test being negative. Like Claudia said, I'd be SURE they culture that urine.

Curfew, too, has a "mystery diagnosis ... " no one knows! A year ago this month, he had a huge stroke/seizure, (so we think). An MRI would have more than likely diagnosed it, but we didn't have $1200 :-( The first diagnosis was stroke, later, "presumed brain tumor ..."

Anyway, he is doing well, knock on wood, on Phenobarbitol, Enalapril and Soloxine, but back in Feb, March, ... he kept me up ALL night, so I know what you are going through, believe me!

Lack of sleep and a sick hound is HEck! Sending love, prayers and empathy your way from Curfew and I ... the other four, as well!

The in-house urinalalysis have come back negative. No bacteria, specific gravity is low but that's because it's diluted from so much water, and there was no sedimentation. The culture won't be back until Fri. or Sat. so we wait, but the vet thinks that will come back negative also.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm really at a loss.

We have a dog that we couldn't housebreak and his UA were negative and the cultures were "iffy." We treated him with antibiotics anyway and it helped. Is there any harm in giving them "just in case?" Just a thought.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

The in-house urinalalysis have come back negative. No bacteria, specific gravity is low but that's because it's diluted from so much water, and there was no sedimentation. The culture won't be back until Fri. or Sat. so we wait, but the vet thinks that will come back negative also.

All his bloodwork OK, nothing weird at all (such as low sodium/potassium)?

One possibility my vet mentioned was an atypical or intermittent diabetes insipidus. Or an atypical/intermittent heart problem.

ETA: Have you tried giving him something like Pepcid (regular strength 2-3 times a day) to see if that has any effect on his drinking etc.?

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

All his bloodwork OK, nothing weird at all (such as low sodium/potassium)?

One possibility my vet mentioned was an atypical or intermittent diabetes insipidus. Or an atypical/intermittent heart problem.

ETA: Have you tried giving him something like Pepcid (regular strength 2-3 times a day) to see if that has any effect on his drinking etc.?

Jey, Warlock's bloodwork was perfect. Sodium was normal, potassium was on the high end of normal. White blood cell count normal, glucose perfect.

What tests would Warlock need for diabetes? Would diabetes or a heart problem cause extreme hair loss? or the look of an over-weight dog, but actually underweight. Panting, lethargy, muscle wasting, high blood pressure, sensitivity to temperature changes, increased appetite and of course the obsessive drinking.

He had a superchem that covered everything and it couldn't be any better, even for a young dog. Every single organ in his body has been looked at by ultrasound and those are are normal.

The only good thing out of all these tests...he doesn't have cancer or tumors anywhere in his body, so that's a relief.

The proin is helping and he didn't seem to need to pee as often today, so we had a good day.

I'm up for any suggestions and I'll certainly ask the Drs. about diabetes.

Thanks, if you think of anything else, let me know.

oops had to come back and answer your other question. No, I haven't given him any antacids. His tummy seems fine, and the ultrasound of his intestines showed no problems, poops bounce because of his diet, and no tummy grumbles. At this point I'm a little leery of giving him anything. Flippy gets a prilosec every morning to help keep the mast cell from causing ulcers, so I guess I could try giving it to Warlock for a few days. I know it can't hurt.

Edited by AngelWhispers

Diabetes insipidus is a little different from regular diabetes. I think the primary test is -1- rule everything else out, and -2- a water deprivation test, but I'm not sure how long that is or what they look for.

Has he had a thyroid panel? It would be somewhat unusual for him to have a decent T4 and yet have something interesting show up on a thyroid panel, but you just never know.

On ultrasound did they look at spleen?

Not trying to scare you, just throwing out longshot ideas.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Diabetes insipidus is a little different from regular diabetes. I think the primary test is -1- rule everything else out, and -2- a water deprivation test, but I'm not sure how long that is or what they look for.

Has he had a thyroid panel? It would be somewhat unusual for him to have a decent T4 and yet have something interesting show up on a thyroid panel, but you just never know.

On ultrasound did they look at spleen?

Not trying to scare you, just throwing out longshot ideas.

Every single organ in his body, and I mean everything was looked at by ultrasound and everything looks good. His T4 is 1.3 and I consider that good.

Don't worry about scarring me, I'm way past that.