Pearl's Heart

We had our bi-annual cardiac checkup with echo and BP check yesterday.

Pearl's BP was great. It remained steady. (we lost control last year and she ended up with a TIA in Jan).

But the cardiologist said a valve (not mitral) was 50% larger than the last echo. "with a decline in function". There were also other changes too but by then my mind was going numb. And there's no reason for me not to believe her because Pearl has not been able to keep up with our walks and I walk slow to begin with already (I have a girl who's going to be 14 next month).

So now we're on yet another med, Pemobendan (this makes 8 different meds, 20 pills a day now). And if that's not bad enough, it's side effect are nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I know Pearl doesn't tolerate meds well because we have her digoxin below optimum level because it causes her tummy upset.

AND.....yes let's add to the list: It needs to be taken an hour before meals. I can do that easily enough in the evening....all I have to do is remember. But the mornings are going to be very tough. The first thing I do is feed them. I can't leave it to the last thing because I can't free feed. I'm not even home and awake a whole hour before I leave for work. I guess I have to get up an hour earlier just to give her a pill now.

If she can't handle this med, then she could be gone as early as Christmas. If she does tolerate it, I can have her around for maybe up to 2 years.

The vet is almost sure that congestive heart failure, not a heart attack will take her. :(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Love, hugs and good thoughts for your Pearl.

You probably already do this, but with Curfew's four meds, I give a Pepcid AC, 10 mg, for his tummy, and I give his meds with yogert (not much). Maybe that would help your Pearl?

I hope she tolerates her new medication, and I know it is hard going through this.

Love and hugs to you both!

I hope the medicine helps Pearl and you have two more years. Sending good wishes and prayers for her. I had to wake up 1/2 hr. earlier to give Alan his meds before he ate - but we do what we have to do. :grouphug

Not fair. :(

Praying the docs and tests are wrong and that she surprises you all.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You probably already do this, but with Curfew's four meds, I give a Pepcid AC, 10 mg, for his tummy, and I give his meds with yogert (not much). Maybe that would help your Pearl?

I hope she tolerates her new medication, and I know it is hard going through this.

I checked on the Pepcid and there's a 2 hr lag time needed for that (it's because of the digoxin). And Little Miss Picky Pants doesn't like yogurt. But, maybe I can reintroduce her to yogurt where she may like it. She got used to Bryers ice cream. Who wants yogurt when you can have ice cream?!

I have congestive heart failure -what will happen is when she sleeps her heart will slow and less blood will get to the brain and she will have nightmares and wake up seeing things that are not there , my cure for that is that Iam on oxygen at night , durring the day Iam very week and use a blood meter to check the amount of oxygen in my blood if low I have to use the oxygen bottle , now I know these thing are not possible for a dog so please do not let her suffer going threw this please watch the quality of her life and do the right thing . Dan

Guest Energy11

I checked on the Pepcid and there's a 2 hr lag time needed for that (it's because of the digoxin). And Little Miss Picky Pants doesn't like yogurt. But, maybe I can reintroduce her to yogurt where she may like it. She got used to Bryers ice cream. Who wants yogurt when you can have ice cream?!

The Bryers would do it for me! "-)) Great idea! Good Luck!!!.

:bighug Sugar was on Pemobenden, and I think it helped. She didn't have any of the side effects, and she couldn't take digoxin at all. The other thing that helped her was acupuncture. She was getting for her arthritis, and her acupuncture vet always did a few heart points. Her cardiologist was amazed at the difference it made. I gave her a Pepcid (10mg) every day with the rest of her meds. I figured, since she was on it every day, it didn't matter when it was in relation to her food, it was essentially in her system all the time (learned that from my CRF cat).

I hope Pearl is with you for many years to come.

So far she has tolerated two 1/2 doses. (we're starting with half dose to see how she handles it). No vomiting or diarrhea and her appetite hasn't changed. It's still just okay.

We'll be doing this for about 5 days then up it another 1/2 dose in the morning.

I got Pearl because I lost Topaz. But it took 2 yrs for me to get her, another white/black girl. And she was there for me just 3 weeks later when Brindle died suddenly of hemangio. She's my heart and soul. Even though I have 3 others....she's the one sitting in here with me. The others are scattered about the house. I could be called a one dog household by who keeps me company.

She's outlived her prognosis by 3 yrs, but it still doesn't make this any easier.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.