Sonie - Doing Much Better

Guest HersheysMom

Guest HersheysMom

It's an ecoli infection - Baytril is the correct, and actually the preferred anibiotic for this. Yay!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My sweet little spook had her x-rays and an ultrasound yesterday. It was done at our vet's office, but it was a new vet who was very good with the ultrasound machine, did a really through job, and I was able to be in the room with her and see everything, and Sonie was on the floor on some blankets. She did SO well, she wasn't even shaking. The scan and x-rays both looked good.

Got a call this morning - the dispute over the cells was because there were some very distored-looking cells in there - multiple distorted nuclei present - these upon later inspection were puss-filled - it's obvious now she had a REALLY bad infection that has already improved. The only thing we need to do now is wait for the culture results to make sure Baytril will be the right antibiotic - I sure hope so but if not we'll change it. I'm quite used to treating UTIs from my previous dogs. She's already doing so much better, with no more accidents, limited panting, and is sleeping through the night again.

Thank you everyone for your support through this!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening update - INDEXX rerunning sample per my vet's request - my vet insistent those cells looked abnormal. Culture being run. Starting Baytril tonight. Xrays tomorrow to look for stones and if unclear, ultrasound will be done. I hope the Baytril helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: There were no "transitional cells" (potential cancer cells) seen in the sample run by INDEXX. They are calling the lab to clarify a few things and see where to go from there. There are many many white cells which typically go with an infection, but they still aren't finding much (any? not clear on that, but I think they meant more than typically seen in a free-catch) bacteria. Calling lab to have them culture same sample anyway. Most likely starting her on antibiotics anyway. So I think no ultrasound warranted at this point but may do an x-ray to look for a bladder stone. She could have one, but usually crystals would be seen in the sample, and there weren't any of those either. Since she's doing better since last night, it's possible she already passed a stone yesterday and that was the problem.

From what I gather from this conversation, it could well be an infection that's being very evasive in the labs! Wouldn't that be wonderful? I will know more later this afternoon, but right now it looks like no cancer, more likely evasive infection or stone.

I'm sorry for worrying folks - I was worried myself - I don't know what my vet saw but he seemed so sure last night that it was cancer. I'm so glad I have this board to post to for support even when I am unsure of things. I hope to post a good update later this afternoon when I know more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonie was suddenly acting very strangely today. After running some tests, we were told it looks like bladder cancer. I just can't give any more details right now - I am worn out and shocked, and frankly it's too painful to recount. We're confirming/ruling out with some additional tests tomorrow - it's possible we may not know for sure for a couple of days.

I'm just posting please for prayers right now. I don't know if I'm strong enough to lose a third dog to cancer. I'll post more when I know more. Thank you.

Edited by HersheysMom

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope it's not what they think it is. Good thoughts and prayers are with you and Sonie.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest gretzky

OMG Carolyn! I can't believe it, I'm so sorry. Any chance it's something else? She looked so good yesterday and has been making great progress with your love and care. D*mn cancer. Hugs to you, John and Johnny B and you give one to Sonie for me.

Sonie is in our prayers and thoughts as well as you! All paws crossed on the sofa too! A human friend of mine was diagnosed with bladder cancer and the onocologist said if you are going to have cancer this is the cancer you want because it can be "contained". My friend came out just fine. We hope it is not the C. For some reason I can't get the icons to work here otherwise I would have sent a candle.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Sending good thoughts for Sonie but I have to think that it's a fluke. She looked so good yesterday on our walk. My thoughts are with you Carolyn and John as well as Johnny B.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest HersheysMom

Okay, she's asleep so I can type a bit more.

What little I know - she's been having accidents off & on for a few weeks - brought in a sample two weeks ago - absolutely normal. Was debating incontinence meds. Today suddenly going every 5 minutes - no kidding. Would not stop panting for hours, it was awful. Sample brought in - no bacteria - no crystals - was told cells seen consistent with bladder cancer. Overheard from waiting room red & white blood cells in urine, and bladder lining is being "slothed off" into urine. I overheard all this, the only part I was told was about the cells being consistent w/bladder cancer. Prescribed an anti-inflammatory (Deramaxx) while yet another sample being sent to INDEXX overnight tonight. Depending on what that says I suppose we'll then do an ultrasound. Was going every 5 minutes and panting uncontrollably - gave her the Deramaxx and an hour later sleeping well. So it's something helped by the Deramaxx. Oy - she just woke up panting. Gotta go for now.

Sending hugs for yourself and many prayers for your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Best wishes for you and your girl. So sorry you're going through this.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)