Has Anyone Dealt With Brain Surgery?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, Butkus is doing great! He's had 2 rounds of vaccine shots with another scheduled for tomorrow. Apparently, after the third shot, all of the dogs in the study have had a rough reaction, so we're a bit nervous about that coming up (especially because it's DH's and my first anniversary this weekend...so we're not sure if we'll be able to do anything to celebrate with a sick pup... :( ). But really, he's got all of his energy back, he's gained about 8 pounds of much-needed muscle, and he's happy as a clam to cuddle with us still.

Regardless, I'm still worried...mostly because I'm just a worrywart, but I think the adrenaline rush of 'Oh my god, he's still alive!' is wearing off, and I'm starting to realize that there's still no guarantee here...The doctor keeps telling me that even though everyone's been a success so far, at some point, SOME dog has to be the first failure, and I always have that in the back of my mind. Also, though we can't confirm it's Butkus, there have been accidents in the house again this past week, which was one of the big issues when he had the tumor. So overall, everything is good, and I think my worry is pretty irrational. It's just going to be hard to wait till Thanksgiving to know anything for sure. One day at a time, I suppose!

sending prayers that He will NOT the the first. I Just know with the love of his family he will be fine. I hope the reaciton to the 3rd shot is not too bad on him. Hugs to you all

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Thanks for the update. You and Butkus have been on my mind. It sounds like there are more positives than negatives now and that's a good thing. I'm a worrier too so I get where you're coming from...I try to keep the worry to a minimum by doing it in a set time each day. Sounds weird but it does work :) I'll keep you, your DH and of course Butkus, in my good thoughts!

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Well, he had his third shot on Friday. The head researcher did say it would take a couple days before he has a a reaction, but so far, aside from more shivering than usual, we haven't seen anything. So NOW I'm worried that he won't have ENOUGH of a reaction, and that means the vaccine's not working!! :rolleyes: I'm a nutcase, I know.

On a positive note, DH and I were able to have a great anniversary, so that was nice. I'm trying not to stress out too much, but if we don't see any reaction by tomorrow, I'll probably contact the doctor, just in case.

Well, he had his third shot on Friday. The head researcher did say it would take a couple days before he has a a reaction, but so far, aside from more shivering than usual, we haven't seen anything. So NOW I'm worried that he won't have ENOUGH of a reaction, and that means the vaccine's not working!! :rolleyes: I'm a nutcase, I know.

Purely speculative, so don't hate me if I'm wrong- but if there's no more tissue for the vaccine to work on (i.e., if the tumor cells are gone), then the reaction should be... minimal, right? You might get a bit of a temperature spike and some other mild reactions from the vaccine, but if there's a reduced reaction, that might be very good news. Maybe. Possibly. Pure conjecture. :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Ashley

I'm glad that you two got to celebrate a nice anniversary together, and it's so great how well Butkus is doing. I hope that he continues on the path forward and healthy.

Purely speculative, so don't hate me if I'm wrong- but if there's no more tissue for the vaccine to work on (i.e., if the tumor cells are gone), then the reaction should be... minimal, right? You might get a bit of a temperature spike and some other mild reactions from the vaccine, but if there's a reduced reaction, that might be very good news. Maybe. Possibly. Pure conjecture. :)

Well, now, I hadn't considered this point of view! And since I won't know either way, this would be a much better angle to focus on than the track I was going down. Thanks, Aaron! Power of positive thinking, and all that!

Well, now, I hadn't considered this point of view! And since I won't know either way, this would be a much better angle to focus on than the track I was going down. Thanks, Aaron! Power of positive thinking, and all that!

It's a glioma. Be thankful for every extra day, because it's nearly a miracle otherwise.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

It's a glioma. Be thankful for every extra day, because it's nearly a miracle otherwise.

Thank you. I needed that.