Has Anyone Dealt With Brain Surgery?

Guest Energy11

Boy, that is fast, and Butkus looks good considering, very very good!

They rally soooo much faster than we humans! We send you, DH and of course, Butkus, a TON of love!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually humans do very well after craniotomies for brain tumors. They do a brief "sleep over" in the ICU and are up out of bed and transfered next morning. As much as people think that brain surgery is a huge deal, I think that there are far more dangerous surgical procedures, including other neurosurgical procedures, out there that have far more complications. That certainly does not diminish the importance and concern if it is you or a loved one having the brain surgery. I am so happy that this pup is home and doing well. I cant wait to see how this protocol works out. Updates when you can please.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest eaglflyt

Such good news that Butkus is home and back to his old self. I'm hoping that the MRI results are good and the vaccine takes care of anything that is left.

edited for spelling error

Edited by eaglflyt

Butkus got home last night at about 11 pm. Aside from being tired because it was late, he was great!! He hopped up on the bed (before we could stop him to make him go slow... :blush ) and cuddled with us all night, which was something he no longer did when he had the tumor.

The doctor went over the MRI reports with my husband before they left the cities. Even SHE was amazed at how much of the tumor she was able to debulk! Apparently, there was barely anything left, even less than the 5% she predicted.

So, now we enjoy having our Butkus buddy back, and we wait and see if the vaccine does its job. We'll have another MRI at three months, and then we'll be able to see if it's grown, shrunk, or stayed stagnant. Anything but growth is considered moving towards success. Then we'll monitor again at six months and at 1 year. After that, he's considered another 'win'!

Absolutely amazing. Gentle scritchies to your gallant pupper and hugs for yourselves.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That is so wonderful! :yay

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

My gosh, that's wonderful news!! I'm so happy for you all! Give Butkus a big hug for me. Awesome, awesome news! :)

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Today he's a very happy puppy, because he got to be out of the crate for the day. We've still got his cone on him, but we decided he was stable enough to hang out in the dining room while we're at work. He's just doing great overall! He's hopping up on furniture without hesitation, he's cuddling, and he's jumping all over us for a hundred slobbery kisses again! These are all the things we missed while he was sick. We just feel so lucky! We'll hear from the doctor early next week to find out if his vaccine is growing fast enough to do the first treatment next Friday. I hope it is; first of all, I want to get it started as soon as possible for HIS benefit, obviously, and secondly, it would work out perfectly for my work schedule...they're being a bit less-than-supportive about the situation, and not letting me take any time off for it, but I have next Friday off for labor day weekend. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

The only bad thing I've noticed is that he still has his facial droop. But since we know there's not a tumor sitting on the nerve anymore, I'm just atttributing it to atrophied muscles in that side of his face from being drooped for so long. Sound plausible?

Could be atrophy, could be nerve damage that might or might not resolve. Sounds like he is doing brilliantly, tho! So glad you have a happy pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.