Cosmo Update: 6 Weeks Post-amp

I thought it was time to give an update on Cosmo and how she's been doing. Tuesday marked six weeks since her amputation. We have been truly fortunate in that so far the days since then have been pretty unremarkable. She has had some bouts of phantom pain for the past four weeks but they have tapered off greatly to where she is hardly having them at all now. She is getting around fabulously. We took another mile and a half walk on the boardwalk along the Long Island Sound today, which she loves. She even dipped her toes in the water briefly but then decided that it is best admired from afar. :lol Cosmo's been eating like a champ and getting around great. She goes up and down our staircase on a regular basis and runs around the yard and has even been spotted in her excavation project a couple of times. Frankly, it has been difficult to remember that she is sick. The biggest reminder we get is on our beach walks with all the people who aww and ohh and make sad noises over Cosmo's situation. I want to tell them all not to feel sorry for her, but I hope that when they see Cosmo happily hopping up and down the boardwalk they will figure it out for themselves. I have to say, though, this 3-legged thing has been a real boon for Cosmo in the attention department. She has always loved meeting people and I think if she'd realized how popular being a tripod would make her she might have asked to try it years ago. :lol

The only problem we have really encountered these past six weeks (besides the wayward staple we are still trying to get the surgeon to remove :rolleyes: ) has been finding someone comfortable with and willing to perform the chemo. To that end I have Marcia Herman (MZH on here) entirely to thank and I am going to repost here the message I sent her because I want to let everyone know what a godsend Marcia and Dr. Matz have been to us:

"Marcia,

I just wanted to write to thank you for giving me Dr. Matz's name. It has been a long 6 weeks since Cosmo's surgery but she is finally going to get her first chemo on Thursday. We met with Dr. Matz and she is caring and knowledgeable and everything we were hoping to find. I cannot begin to tell you how many different vets I called all over the state and beyond trying to find someone to give Cosmo the chemo. Either they wouldn't return my call or they referred us to Norwalk or they didn't feel experienced enough or (more often) told me they just didn't want the liability. It was so incredibly frustrating. I seriously have talked to a dozen places or more and Dr. Matz is the ONLY one who would help us. After talking with her I really feel confident she knows what she's doing. At any rate, I just wanted to touch base and thank you. Honestly, without your help Cosmo would not be getting her chemo. Everyone else turned us down and we were out of options. Thank you so much. Please feel good knowing that every extra day we have with Cosmo is in large part because of you."

So, if you all could, please keep a good thought for Cosmo as she goes in for her first chemo on Thursday. I know she and we truly appreciate all the encouraging words, good wishes and prayers.

Edited by Tracey

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Crossing fingers and paws at this household everything goes well for Cosmo's first round of chemo. It is greyt to hear she is doing well!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

It's great to hear that lovely Cosmo is doing so well :wub:

We send our very good wishes for Cosmo's chemo (I imagine you will be very nervous tomorrow when the first session takes place :grouphug) and we send a big three-paws-up to Marcia and to Dr Matz :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug

Tracey,

Thanks for Cosmo's update. Our pups sure do know how (and teach us) to totally enjoy each moment.

Many prayers continue to go for you and Cosmo, and will send extra ones for her first chemo :bighug

What a great update! Good thoughts and prayers for Cosmo as she starts her chemo treatments.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MorganKonaAlex

It's great to hear she's doing so well. Good luck on the chemo. Doxorubicin is bright red and Cosmo's first pee or 2 after chemo will be red too. Don't panic, it's normal. Alex had doxorubicin for osteo and I had it myself for breast cancer. Feel free to ask questions.

What delightful and heartening news to read that Cosmo is handling the amputation like a champ and has even found the silver lining in the cloud, so to speak. Thank goodness for Marcia and Dr. Matz! Sending all the best to you and Cosmo for the chemo.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest 3greysinPA

What a wonderful post to read about how great Cosmo is doing... it warmed my heart today. :heart

Many thoughts and prayers that her chemo will go smoothly as well. :hope:hope

Cosmo, Keep up the great job beautiful girl. :beatheart:grouphug:kiss2

Tracey, we're so happy that you've found Dr. Matz and that Cosmo will be starting her chemo tomorrow! We hope that it will be a "breeze" as her last 6 weeks have been.

I want to tell them all not to feel sorry for her, but I hope that when they see Cosmo happily hopping up and down the boardwalk they will figure it out for themselves.

This is so true, we always tell people that feel sorry for Jamey to look at what he CAN do on three legs...and that is just about everything!

We'll be thinking of Cosmo tomorrow!!!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest VirginiaGreys

I was just wondering how your Cosmo was doing and I see this wonderful update! I hope that tomorrow goes very well and I'm so glad that you found someone to administer the chemo that you trust!

Looks like Cali and Cosmo keep doing things together. Cali starts her chemos this week too.

Give her a big hug for me Tracey, she really is a special girl.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

How wonderful that you and Cosmo found TWO angels! It definitely sounds like she is in great hands. We will keep her in our prayers, and be looking for some more positive updates.

I couldn't help but think of Winnie when you were describing how Cosmo was enjoying her new-found attention, and it made me smile. Winnie became so accustomed to people coming up to her and oooohing and aaaaahing, and "paying homage" to the Queen, that she actually seemed insulted if, God forbid anyone passed her by without exclaiming how wonderful she was! She always had this "can do" attitude, which so many of our Greys seem to share. They certainly don't consider themselves "handicapped", but if all those silly hoomans want to tell them how amazing they are, they eat it up!

I'm glad Cosmo is doing so well.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

What a heartwarming update. :D Hoping the chemo goes well and that Cosmo continues to bless your lives for a LONG time with her joy for living. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Good to hear about Cosmo, Tracey. Thanks for that. And I'll send positive thoughts for her chemo treatment. I love that you are still taking her for walks along the Sound. That body of water, being so close to home, holds a special place in my heart. I know it's weird but, something so familiar as the LIS and the mental image of you, Jason and your girl walking along it, trying to keep her spirits and energy up, makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

:grouphug

Guest goodtimekid

I'm so glad that you updated. I was holding back from asking how she was, knowing that you would update us as you felt the need. We are so over joyed to hear how wonderfully she is getting along and thankful that you found Dr. Manz and chemo will begin soon. Cosmo will be in our prayers and we will be waiting to hear the good reports on her progress. Hugs to Cosmo and the gang.

Tracey, your message to me moved me to tears. I'm so glad to be able to have helped from afar. The folks in the New Haven area really need to get to know Dr Matz. She's doesn't have greyhounds of her own but she loves them and knows them inside out. She's a treasure for greyhound owners and for any pet owners, really.

I have all the confidence in the world that Dr Matz will make Cosmo's chemo comfortable and be well-done.

I tried to get her to move here to SC when we did, but no dice. Please tell her and Karen I said "Hey!" (It's a southern thing and she went to U of Tennessee and uses that greeting phrase all the time. :lol)

Cosmo's first chemo went well! She's back home and hanging out and assuming she feels up to it she can resume her regular routine tomorrow. We have to take her back for a blood draw on Tuesday and just keep an eye on her in the meantime. We got Baytril and Flagyl to have on hand just in case and picked up some Pepcid AC just in case as well. We have to watch her for signs of lethargy and upset g/i and have to treat her pee and pooh as hazmat marterial for the next week. But they said she was calm and did very well all day.

We had two very meaningful encounters at the vet today as well. When we were leaving with her there was a sweet black male Greyhound with a broken leg in the waiting room. His name was Ben. His leg was in a cast but I guess his owners were concerned about osteo so they were asking Jason all about what we've been going through with Cosmo. It was nice to be able to give someone a little reassurance, since, at least so far, things have gone very well for her. Ben was a very sweet boy with what looked to be a permanent case of ETC. Totally adorable.

On the way in this morning though we ran into a woman who was leaving and as soon as she saw Cosmo she started oohing and ahhing over her and she asked me where we'd gotten Cosmo from. As I looked up to answer her I did a double take and said "we got her from you!" It was Eileen McCaughern who runs REGAP of CT. I don't think we've seen her in at least three years, maybe four. For anyone who doesn't know, we adopted Morgan from her in 03. In July 04 Eileen's house was struck by lightning. She was running the adoption group from her home and we offered to take Cosmo in as a foster. Of course, once here, Cosmo never left. It was a very sweet little reunion between Cosmo and Eileen. I always look for good omens where I can and on a few different levels I'd have to say running into Eileen this morning definitely counts.

Marcia, I did tell Dr. Matz you said "hey" and she told me how much she misses you. I told her the feeling was mutual. :)

Anyway, that was Cosmo's day. She's currently sacked out on a bed and napping away. Please continue to send good thoughts her way. I truly believe they help.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.