A Hard Decision... But The Right One

Guest panthergirl

Guest panthergirl

After two years of struggling to climb my condo stairs, we finally had to send Kelso to live with people who have none. Thankfully they are a lovely couple who have watched him multiple times (I travel a lot for work). I met them through my greyhound group. They have a grey the same age (almost 12) and always have one foster as well.

So, Kelso gains some greyhound buddies as well as relief from the stress of trying to climb stairs.

For us, though, it's very sad. He will still be "our dog"... we will bring food, pay his vet bills and make all medical decisions, visit as often as is practical (they live about an hour away).

But I know it was the right decision. It got to the point where I had to recruit neighbors to carry him up the stairs because he just couldn't make it. He's 85#, so that's a tall order (literally). It became selfish for me to want to keep him here, knowing that he could have broken a leg navigating the steps. He had fallen down several times as well.

I'm posting this here to help anyone who might be in a similar situation. We were lucky enough to have people offering to help out, but it was still hard to make the final choice to let him go. Even now, I'm expecting to here the "tap tap tap" of his nails, the tumbling over of the kitchen garbage pail... hehe... Love that boy. :(

I hope you can comfort yourselves with the knowledge that you have done the right and best thing for the hound you love and put his needs before your own feelings. It is never easy but you have put Kelso first and no owner can do better than that. May he have many more happy times without the stress of the stairs and with your visits to look forward to as well.

Sue from England

That is such an unselfish act of love........no stairs, new buddies in his life AND still gets to see his Mom.

Lucky boy...

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

That must have been such a tough decision :grouphug but it sounds like he's going to a lovely "retirement home" and he'll still get to see you too so I'm sure he'll be fine.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest PhillyPups

What a loving decision for Kelso :bighug

Our dogs are amazing they can love lots of people all equally and never considering that they mey need ti choose one over the other. Kelso will be where he is familiar, you will still be a pert of his life. :bighug

Guest Energy11

Glad you did what you thought was best for your Boy. I remember when Bold Energy was getting older, we lived on a second floor apt. with steep stairs...I always worried about him getting up and down.

Glad you can still see your boy and all!

Such a hard decision to make but it's just heart wrenching (& frightening) to watch them struggle with stairs. The bane of big old boys, it seems. :( Putting a ramp off the deck was an option for my big old boy & it has made him so happy. I hope Kelso enjoys his new surroundings & having a second family to love him. :grouphug to you.

(BTW, GT'er Dinner made the same decision recently - her post is in Introductions.)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I agree here what a truly beautiful act of love, and totally unselfish decision you made. And one that was so hard. You are so lucky to still get to see your sweet boy and be a part of his life.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

You are and will always be his best friend. You put his best interest before your's.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Sending hugs for you and scritchies for handsome Kelso. I'm sorry he can't live with you now, but glad he is with people you trust and still has you looking out for him.

Maybe we'll get a picture, hint hint? :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greymama002
:bighug your boy is so lucky that you love him so much to find the most comfortable & loving home for him and I'm glad that you will still be able to visit and get some greyhound lovin'

Thank you for posting that.

I moved in October from a building with elevators, where I was VERY unhappy, to a lovely place that is larger, but has no elevators, and is on the third floor.

This spring, George was diagnosed with L.S. Part of his treatment? "Avoid stairs." Well, crap!!!

So far, he is doing just fine. And fortunately for me, there are only 22 steps, with landings. And he only weighs 65 pounds. But I worry. What will I do if there comes a day he just can't get up and down them?

There are virtually NO places around here that allow dogs over 25 pounds--aside from the place I left and the one I live in. I cannot afford a house, so I'm in a condo. The market being what it is, I already can't sell for what I paid. I don't know what I'll do, but I applaud you for finding a reasonable solution.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I know how you feel. We live on the 2nd and 3rd floors of our big old house, and rent the 1st floor (wish we could afford not to---maybe someday if we can't sell). I always worry about what will happen when the dogs get older, and the steps are hard for them. I feel terrible thinking about them struggling to get up and down, and that's one of the main reasons I want to move! I'd also love to adopt a senior dog, but I know it wouldn't be fair to expect a senior to do those steps. I'm so glad you have found what sounds like a perfect home for your precious boy. Of course, you'll miss him like crazy, but you did a very loving thing (after, I'm sure, much thought and agonizing), for his safety and comfort.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown