Neck Surgery Questions

A few weeks ago, I posted how Minerva was yelping; we had thought it was a soft tissue injury, but when it didn't really go away, we took her in to the local go-to vet for greyhounds. He shot some films, and there's calcification of two disks in her c-spine. We're looking at about $5K in surgery, but that was his estimate as he sent us in the direction of a neurosurgical specialty vet. We have an appointment at 10 tomorrow. Hopefully some answers will come in before then, but-

Anyone had this surgery done on their grey? Any pointers? Anything to ask? What's the recovery time like- would we get her back same day, or the next, or...? (Assuming it goes as planned, of course.) We only have a sedan, and the a/c isn't what you'd call ideal for Phoenix summers, and I'm worried about getting her back home, so I'll need to bum a ride off someone with a bigger vehicle so I need to call in a favor but need to know when and now I'm rambling so blah.

On the bright side, when we came in to have films taken, we also had blood tests run for TBDs and Valley Fever; she trained in Alabama, and I've always been worried about latent diseases. The results came back negative for everything, which is of immense relief from a surgical perspective.

I have no idea how good a rep the specialty vet has, but he's the only one in the city, or at least he's the best, I dunno. Can't be too many neurosurgeon vets in Phoenix.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If favors with the right type vehicle are hard to come by, rent a minivan.

Wish I could help with info. Can't.

Fingers crossed that the neuro person gives you some good info to work with. Scritchies to your girlie, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yikes. Beth has still been yelping too periodically from some neck issue, and I've begun working with a vet on it. I think we're still working on the soft-tissue injury idea, though I'm suspicious. She's on Deramaxx and doing a course of acupuncture (will have her second session tomorrow). So no advice, but I'll be following this with interest and some anxiety. It does seem like there might be a number of more conservative measures to try before the surgical option....

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I don't know of anyone that has this surgery with their greyhound but, I do know of a person that has this type of surgery and what I found was a little strange is that they did the surgery from the front of the neck, not from the back. They also lost about 1 inch in height which they said was common. So, you might want to check whether this would pertain to greyhounds too ...

She's 6-1/2; she's at the vet right now, and has probably had her MRI. Turns out the clinic has three board-certified neurosurgical vets, as well as three vets training in that discipline. The vet generally agreed with what Dr. Yocham said, and the next step is either management with steroids and other drugs, or surgery. Surgery would require an MRI beforehand, so that was a given for today. Once we get the results back, we'll make a decision.

Surgery is done with a ventral incision, i.e.: from the throat, pushing aside the larynx. Going in from the dorsal aspect would require cutting through a lot more muscle and- more to the point- the spinal cord is in the way. The surgery would be fenestration of the disc between vertebrae, to remove the calcified inner material (which is used only during development- it's no longer needed after that) through a "window" that is made. The surgery requires general anesthesia for the owner as well, due to the financial pain exacted.

ETA: Aaaaaaand the vet called, stating she's out of anesthesia and surgery is the best option. She's a very good candidate, and there's a better chance than average that she'll be back to herself once those bits are removed. Looks like surgery first thing tomorrow (Friday) is what will be done. We're going to go in tonight to see her, and drop off some canned food for her as kibble doesn't agree with her too well.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

The surgery requires general anesthesia for the owner as well, due to the financial pain exacted.

No foolin'. I just got a quote of $1,900 for an MRI at the place near me. :eek A surgery like you're contemplating, yikes.

Best wishes for Minerva - I hope she's back in fine form soon.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Hope all goes well for Minerva, and that both she and your pocketbook recover with no serious complications.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm curious -- how are they going to cast because I don't think they want any movement of the neck to either direction while it heals... if I remember, my friend had a cast on the top half of his body that went from his waist up to his chin and kept his upper half immobile. He recovered very well with no issues

good luck

I'm curious -- how are they going to cast because I don't think they want any movement of the neck to either direction while it heals... if I remember, my friend had a cast on the top half of his body that went from his waist up to his chin and kept his upper half immobile. He recovered very well with no issues

No cast required; there's no bone injury or damage- it's all connective tissue. So, nothing really needs to "heal" by binding itself back together so much as the sutures need to hold.

There'll be a two week recovery time, over which period she'll have to be kept from acting like a goofball, but between the tramadol and keeping her on a leash for potty, I don't anticipate serious problems (other than aggravating my sister who wanted to come visit Sunday).

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Best wishes for a successful surgery tomorrow. Sending prayers.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest eaglflyt

I'm praying for Minerva. I remember reading every day as Canyon went through this same surgery and recovery. I'm glad Canyon's mom put a link to that thread for you.

I hope Minerva has a quick and complete recovery. I'll be watching for your next update.

edited for clarity

Edited by eaglflyt

Out of surgery as of about 4:30 this afternoon, and awake within 15 minutes afterwards. We've been told it went well, and that they took out some pretty serious chunks of material, relieving a lot of pressure on the spine. Providing nothing happens overnight, we get a call sometime between 8:30 and 9 AM; best case scenario is we are told we can come get her then- the day after surgery, before it's even 10 in the morning. Next best case would be same time the next day. Other, more complicated scenarios involve increasingly longer periods of time.

The vet sounds optimistic that the procedure is a success.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)