Penny Losing Ground - She Has Tomorrow To Rally

Guest Tuxsmom

Guest Tuxsmom

Mods - sorry for new thread - its just hard to wade through big thread for updates

Penny is not doing what we had hoped.

There is some blood level count (a paxcil?) that is supposed to be 67% for Penny, but is 37% today. Yesterday it was 34%. Vet had hoped she would gain more ground than that.

Penny has not had anything to eat in 24 hours and has not had a bowel movement in 22 hours.

She vomitted 3 times at the vets today. The first had blood in it, the other two did not.

Vet wanted me to know that even though she thought it was/is an ulcer, she wants me to be aware it could still be a tumor or mass in her digestive system. Cannot tell without an ultrasound.

Penny has lost 8 pounds in 2 days.

Penny is in pain, I can tell. The question is - is it temporary pain from an ulcer or pain that will not end. She has tonight and tomorrow to rally and let me know she's going to be ok.

I won't make her suffer like this more than another day. The vet agrees that the next couple of days can go either way at this point, and that she thinks Penny may be losing the battle.

please please please Penny eat tonight, keep it down, gain ONE pound and show me you can beat this. If you are tired, honey, I will let you go to peace...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ss556

I am so sorry that this is happening. Praying all night for Penny. If it is her time to go to the bridge, she will let you know. Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Penny.

Hugs.

:grouphug

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this, June, but as you said, you don't want Penny to suffer, and it could be a mass. I am still putting my money on the ulcer from the worms and the pred.

Okay ... I'd get a 10 cc syringe or turkey baster, and use low sodium chicken brooth, maybe mixed with some unflavored yogert, and adminster it to her in small doses. IF IT IS an ulcer, it is RAW, and the stomach acids will irritate it. If Penny were one of mine, that is what I would do, ... but NOT a lot, just a little at a time.

I am not sure what the vet was referring to, there with "Paxcil?"

All I can say is YOU ARE DOING YOUR BEST FOR HER, and the offer remains open to call me ANYTIME!

Hugs and love! DEE

There is some blood level count (a paxcil?) that is supposed to be 67% for Penny, but is 37% today. Yesterday it was 34%. Vet had hoped she would gain more ground than that.

Packed cell volume (PCV-hematocrit)? Concentration of red blood cells, normal for greyhound 55-65% (from greythealth.com).

I hope Penny takes a turn for the better very soon. :hope:hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Tuxsmom
I am not sure what the vet was referring to, there with "Paxcil?"

I am not sure either? I dont' know if thats the name of the test or the name of what it is testing? She pronounced it "Pak -Sill" I could have misheard her. Anyone have a clue?

Penny's is normally 67-68%, she said, so it is something she routinely tests for.

I will try the chicken broth, I have whole chicken broth already in the fridge. I am going to see if she will eat just some chicken breast first, then maybe some rice & broth. If that fails, I will try to administer some nutrition to her myself. But like you said, not too much, just to see if I can awaken a spark there.

Guest Tuxsmom

OHHHHH "packed cell"

that's what she was saying. duh. i'm an idiot :D

thanks sweetdogs. That must be it. Penny's always ran 67 - 68%?

Guest paulamariez

Oh no! Please Penny, get well! We are all rallying and praying for you! Sending sweet Penny all the healing prayers, love and light we can muster over here. Please precious girl, get better! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Penny some healing doggie kisses as well.

Guest Energy11
OHHHHH "packed cell"

The hematocrit (Ht or HCT) or packed cell volume (PCV) or erythrocyte volume fraction (EVF) is the proportion of blood volume that is occupied by red blood cells.

RED blood cells carry the OXYGEN to all parts of the body. Not enough of them can cause anemia ...

Guest Energy11
OHHHHH "packed cell"

Has your vet mentioned a possible blood or packed cell transfusion? MIGHT be a good question to present to him/her.