Comet, Our Beloved Whippet

fsugrad

One year ago today, we had to make the heartbreaking decision to help our beloved 11 yr old whippet, Comet, to the Bridge.

Comet, you are missed very much by me, Dad, Brandon, Grant, and Toby. I am sorry you never had a chance to meet Robin.

We will love you forever, sweetie.

Comet1st.jpg

Comet-04.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Is that a heart spot on her side? She looked so sweet, it is so hard to lose these babies :(

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Is that a heart spot on her side? She looked so sweet, it is so hard to lose these babies :(

Yes, he had a beautiful large heart-shaped black mark on his side. It was the perfect marking for him. :heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug He was beautiful!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

:grouphug I can't believe it's been a year already. :( He was such a handsome guy and I love the heart he had on his side. :heart

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest LeanneSchatz

I love the first picture you posted, both of their smiles make me melt.

Hugs to you and your family.

Leanne :(

What a sweetheart :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Jeez, it's so hard to believe a year has gone by- I remember like yesterday.

hugs.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Look at how proud Comet is with his medal. May I ask the story behind the medal?

:gh_child

I would be glad to tell you the story behind the medal!

Let me give you a little bit of background...when Comet was six, he suffered a spinal injury in our backyard. He was running after a rabbit in our yard and got tangled up in kudzu vine while running full speed. (This is a vine that entwines itself/dangles in the trees and grows like crazy all over the south. Anyway, he let out a terrible scream. When we ran over to him, he was lying on his side completely hogtied in the kudzu vine. When we untangled him, we thought he'd be fine but he wasn't. He was completely paralyzed and like jello. He had injured a couple of vertebrae. He spent 10 days at the Univ of FL vet school here in town and they saved him. When they returned him to us, he was still paralyzed but they told us if we worked with him they had every confidence he'd walk again. So work with him we did! We did daily therapy with him, put him in the jacuzzi, he had a doggy wheelchair, we had to learn to express his bladder so he could pee. You get the picture. After about about 2 or 3 weeks, he went from being paralyzed to dragging himself on his chest to finally rocking to a standing position to then taking steps! Then gradually running! His drs at the vet school were thrilled. From then on, he always walked with a limp but when he ran you could not tell he'd been hurt.

So fast forward to a couple of years later....there is an annual running event in Gainesville called the Dog Days Run. It's a 5K run for humans only, but the main event is a 1 mile run for humans with dog partners! Dogs of all shapes and sizes come out for it. Some of the tiny ones or old ones get pulled in a wagon. Some people come with their well-conditioned dogs. Anyway, when the day of the race was coming up, our older son said he wanted to enter with Comet. So they entered the race! Comet was so excited when they sounded the starting horn, and he gave it all he had! Brandon is a great runner too so the 2 of them made a great team. It came down to Brandon and Comet and some man and his larger dog. Comet pulled so hard at the end; he wanted to win so badly....and he and Brandon won first place! The picture I posted is Comet and Brandon post-race. You can see how Comet is smiling in the pic!!! The gold medal was given to the human member of the team but as you can see in the pic, Brandon took the medal off and put it around Comet's neck.

So that's the story of the picture and I'm sorry this is such a long post! Thank you for asking; this is such a happy memory for us.

Edited by fsugrad

Guest CDNgreys
Look at how proud Comet is with his medal. May I ask the story behind the medal?

:gh_child

I would be glad to tell you the story behind the medal!

Let me give you a little bit of background...when Comet was six, he suffered a spinal injury in our backyard. He was running after a rabbit in our yard and got tangled up in kudzu vine while running full speed. (This is a vine that entwines itself/dangles in the trees and grows like crazy all over the south. Anyway, he let out a terrible scream. When we ran over to him, he was lying on his side completely hogtied in the kudzu vine. When we untangled him, we thought he'd be fine but he wasn't. He was completely paralyzed and like jello. He had injured a couple of vertebrae. He spent 10 days at the Univ of FL vet school here in town and they saved him. When they returned him to us, he was still paralyzed but they told us if we worked with him they had every confidence he'd walk again. So work with him we did! We did daily therapy with him, put him in the jacuzzi, he had a doggy wheelchair, we had to learn to express his bladder so he could pee. You get the picture. After about about 2 or 3 weeks, he went from being paralyzed to dragging himself on his chest to finally rocking to a standing position to then taking steps! Then gradually running! His drs at the vet school were thrilled. From then on, he always walked with a limp but when he ran you could not tell he'd been hurt.

So fast forward to a couple of years later....there is an annual running event in Gainesville called the Dog Days Run. It's a 5K run for humans only, but the main event is a 1 mile run for humans with dog partners! Dogs of all shapes and sizes come out for it. Some of the tiny ones or old ones get pulled in a wagon. Some people come with their well-conditioned dogs. Anyway, when the day of the race was coming up, our older son said he wanted to enter with Comet. So they entered the race! Comet was so excited when they sounded the starting horn, and he gave it all he had! Brandon is a great runner too so the 2 of them made a great team. It came down to Brandon and Comet and some man and his larger dog. Comet pulled so hard at the end; he wanted to win so badly....and he and Brandon won first place! The picture I posted is Comet and Brandon post-race. You can see how Comet is smiling in the pic!!! The gold medal was given to the human member of the team but as you can see in the pic, Brandon took the medal off and put it around Comet's neck.

So that's the story of the picture and I'm sorry this is such a long post! Thank you for asking; this is such a happy memory for us.

That is such a wonderful story, I'm getting all misty........

I can see why that is such a happy memory for you. Thank you for sharing.

Sending gentle hugs in your time of remembrance.

I have no doubt that Comet and our angel Rocco are pal'ing around together over the Bridge, making sure everyone knows how clever, quick and oh-so-sweet whippets are.

Rest well, little man.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.