New From Ks - Need Some Advice...

Guest dinner

Guest dinner

Hi there! I've been lurking around for while, but have never posted before. But now I would love some advice on my situation... sorry I seem to have wrote an novel...

Eight years ago, my (then) boyfriend and I adopted Pep, a 5 year old blue brindle named Pep. At that time we were living in a house, with a yard, and no steps to contend with. When the boyfriend and I broke up 4 years later, Pep stayed with me, and we moved into a 3rd floor apartment.

Throughout the years Pep has really started to slow down… I mean, he’s 13 years old now – 91 is no spring chicken! But 3 years ago, he could handle a 3 mi. walk just fine (not every day but a couple of times a week). Two years ago, we cut back to a 2 mi. walk. Last year, down to a 1 mi. walk. And now he can make it about 4-6 blocks, and then he’s just done. And the 3 flights of stairs up to the apartment seem to get more difficult for him month by month. But I am not in a position where I can move any time soon. I worry about the coming winter… it’s KS and winters can be rough here… and Pep always seems to struggle more in the cold.

So, the ex and I have remained friendly and he comes to visit Pep a couple times a year (he’s now 3 hours away). And Pep seems to remember him. A few months ago, he tells me he’s considering getting a greyhound. And we get to talking about my living situation with Pep. So after some long thought, we decide that the ex is going to take him. He lives in an apartment also, but there are no steps. He is the only person I would ever trust to take Pep – he’s the only one that loves him like I love him, and I know he’d take care of him.

We decide that we will do this move in late July/early August. That was all fine and good when it was 3 months ago and it didn’t seem real. Well, now it seems real as we've set a date for him to move the last weekend of this month.

I want to do what’s best for him, and I really just don’t think he will be able to negotiate the steps to the apartment this winter. And I know the ex will take care of him… but… He'll be 3 hours away so it's not like I just drop by to visit any time. And what if he doesn’t remember the ex like I think he does and he thinks I am sending him away with a stranger? What if the change is too hard on him? What if he dies?

I don't know what to do...

aade72439a85.jpgAnd this is my baby boy now...

I have no advice, as I can only imagine how hard this is for you. I'm all teary eyed reading this. What you are doing is for the well being of Pep. There is no reason you can't just try this out and see what happens. I can't even imagine being in your situation. Whatever you decide we are all here on GT to support you.

I think that is a tough decision. My heart goes out to you and your handsome sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The stairs to this apartment are hard on Poodle and he is only about 9 or 10 (best guess) and we are on the second floor. I can't imagine what thierd floor would be like with snow or ice. If Pep was with your ex 4 years he will most certainly remember him and not think it is a stranger.

I'd say give it a try and let Pep tell you both how he feels. If he doesn't adapt then rethink, but it sounds like DFs place would be a lot easier on him. I am (I hope temporarily) apart from my Buck so I share your fears every day. :grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest littlesyd85
The stairs to this apartment are hard on Poodle and he is only about 9 or 10 (best guess) and we are on the second floor. I can't imagine what thierd floor would be like with snow or ice. If Pep was with your ex 4 years he will most certainly remember him and not think it is a stranger.

I'd say give it a try and let Pep tell you both how he feels. If he doesn't adapt then rethink, but it sounds like DFs place would be a lot easier on him. I am (I hope temporarily) apart from my Buck so I share your fears every day. :grouphug

I couldn't agree more! Just give it a try. You have to trust that if he isn't doing well without you that your ex will let you know and you can reunite. I can't imagine being in your situation and I am sorry that you have to make this decision. At the end of the day you need to do what is right for Pep... And if you think what is right now ends up being wrong than you just reverse it. Make sure that your ex sends you photos as often as he can and updates so you know how he is doing. Good luck!

Guest JarBear

I think you're trying to do the right thing for Pep. I agree that you should give it a try and I'm sorry it's going to be so hard for you.

If you know your ex as well as you think you do & that he'd be able & willing to handle an old dog, then this might be the best situation for Pep. I have an old boy & every entrance to my house has a flight of stairs, some worse than others. Faolin has been having back/neck problems for a couple of years but this winter was just murder on him. He slipped more times on the stairs than I want to remember. I finally got a ramp built for him off the deck this spring & it's been a godsend. He loves it.

I know you don't have that option but mention it because I felt it would just be a matter time before Faolin really hurt himself. Permanently. I don't know what I would do in your place but being able to give Pep a safe environment in his old age is a wonderful thing. A gift, really. That does not make it easy for you, however. Best wishes for all of you. :grouphug

PS Pep is very cute - you might consider entering him in the Suzy Awards - the thread is in Everything Else Greyhound & the deadline is tomorrow. :)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest houndstooth4

It's a tough call! We have a couple of seniors here and I know that they can sometimes deteriorate very rapidly. If you really think it will be better for him to be with your ex, give it a try and see if it works for him. Another option could be getting something like a bottoms up leash so that you could help him with the stairs if he begins to have trouble.

Yep - try it out with the ex and if it doesn't work out, there are also slings you could try with Pep to help him up the stairs - good luck! It's a tough decision...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I think it takes a lot of love to do what your are doing. You are thinking of the dog first. Your dog will remember your ex...Myaunt was divorced from her ex for 12 years. She had not seen the dog in 12 years. She wanted to visit him because he was dying...The dog jumped up and kissed her like there was no tomorrow. They do remember people scents. I think what you aare doing is great. I know you will miss to see him daily but I think it will be better on his body not having to do those steps. Bless your heart.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

that is a tough situation, you are lucky enough to have someone willing to help with a better environment. Just remember that Pep is 13. You mentioned what if move kills him. I'm imaging the increased stress won't help, but at 13, I doubt it would be a causative factor, that would be time. Ryan is just 10 now, and he is really slowing down, he can only go a few blocks if it is cool or cold out, and can't do much in any heat. He has other issues as well. I hope all works out for you and Pep.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Guest dinner

Just thought I would update you all on the countdown... we are now a go for Pep to move on July 31st. The thought of packing up his things is so strange. But, I believe it's the right thing, and if it turns out it's not working out for him, then we'll figure out something different. I am fortunate to have options.

Thanks again for the support... I am sure I will update (a.k.a. freak out) again as the 31st gets closer...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GreenGreys

Thinking of you as Pep's moving day draws near. It's truly amazing what we can do for love of our hounds. I admire your devotion to Pep.

Pat from Georgia

Guest dinner

Biiiiiig sigh.... 3 days and counting. I've just been loving on him and spending as much time with him as I can...

And tried to take a bunch of pictures over the weekend...

"Enough with the pictures!"

P7090382.jpg

"Hey, where ya going???"

P7090389.jpg

What a dear boy he is. :wub: I admire you for doing what is in your boy's best interest, health-wise, although I can appreciate how heartbreaking that decision is, too. Hopefully your ex will keep you updated, and Pep will have an easy adjustment to new digs and all. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest dinner

I haven't even begun to pack... I am quite the procrastinator even under good circumstances.

I decided to go out of town for the weekend tomorrow after he leaves... so after today, I won't be able to update again till Monday.

We headed to the dog park Tuesday night - and will go back again tonight so he can spend a while longer with his friends - Tango & Cash.

P7280457.jpg

I'm thrilled about this picture - it's the best I've ever gotten of us!

P72804682.jpg

Guest budsmom

I can't even imagine how hard this is for you. I admire you more than I can say for putting Pep's needs ahead of yours. Please know that everyone here knows how you feel and we're here for you. Lean on us as much as you need, and I really hope it all works out!