Do you let your Grey on the Couch?  

568 members have voted

1. 1. Do you let your dog on the couch?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • Undecided

Guest Maddyr24

Sagan has been with us for just shy of 3 months and he is starting to come out of his shell (its so cute!). He has lately been trying to snuggle with us on the couch and I am all for it. My hubby is all for it too, but we just want to make sure we aren't letting him get away with too much...meaning..once we start giving into his requests...what else will he want?

So, comments, thoughts, and any funny stories.

M, J, and S

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest houndlover

I checked yes but that only applies to one dog, Daisy. She is allowed on the couch and my bed. Casey is not allowed on the couch b/c he has space aggression issues but he will go on DD's bed if she isn't in it. I really think that a lot of allowing a dog on the furniture has to do with personal preference and the dog's personality. If Sagan starts to get growly or snappy then he should be removed from the furniture, reprimanded and shouldn't be allowed back on the furniture immediately. I don't necessarily know that Sagan will "want" anything more than to be close and snuggle with you but he should ALWAYS move off of the furniture when told. If someone is on the couch or the bed and Daisy wants to get on it, she has to wait until she is invited on the furniture......just a rule that I have but so far it has worked for me. :)

Good luck....it sounds like Sagan will be snuggling on the couch with you in no time.

Guest PhillyPups

It is not unusual here to have one stretched out and/or roached on the couch, one in the same position on the loveseat, the other two curled up in the club chairs and me? Well I am sitting on the dogbed on the floor watching TV cause the furniture is filled. :lol

Guest TBSFlame

I think that sometimes that can be a problem but the timeline is different for each hound. I generally let the hound find their place in the pack before allowing too much. With that being said. Jememy is not here a week and he was napping in the bed with dh today. :)

Sometimes my hounds allow ME to use the couch. :P

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Next dogs won't be allowed on the couch.

Jet and Ryan are on the furniture, though much less now as we try to persuade them to look elsewhere for their lounging space.

T doesn't get on the furniture, though he does sit his butt right at the edge of the couch cushion, but keeps all 4 feet on the floor.

Yes, mine are allowed on the sofa if they want. Stella lives for the sofa...the day she arrived she jumped on it and has never looked back. Lizzie took a while.....probably about three months before she discovered how comfortable it can be. Lewis, God love him, never tried to get on any piece of furniture....he was happy with his bed. Hitchie...didn't take him too long. Mac Daddy...we'll just have to see. He's only been here for two months and he hasn't made a move yet. For some reason, I don't think he's going to be a sofa sleeper!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Yes, Mine are allowed on the couch! After all they are the kids and have family rites too. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I clicked "sometimes" because they are allowed on MY couch, but not my dad's couch. They know the rules there and don't even attempt it. But at home... I haven't stretched out on the couch by myself for 3 years now :lol

Edited by Gryffenne

First, the couch! Next, THE WORLD!!!!!

All mine are allowed wherever they want unless the space is already occupied. Dude got on the furniture the first hour he was in the house and now has his own chair - though he shares that with Toni now. Copper and Cash only get on our bed, but only want to stay there until we come to bed. Dude (and Toni sometimes) is the only one allowed to sleep with us through the night.

Also, if they get growly or possessive they have to get down right away and are not allowed back on until I say so.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

B&Z never showed any interest in getting up, and I never encouraged them. I sat on the floor with them for dog petting purposes.

After Joseph came home, I taught Z to get up to keep her out of young buffalo's way when he was playing. Then he started getting up. Not an issue as neither has space sensitivies and there isn't a lot of people competition for couch space here. Joseph does take up rather a lot of room at times but his grammy says, "He's fine, just leave him alone" as she squishes into one corner of her sofa (Joseph's favorite spot).

We try to keep a blankie tucked in on the nicest couch, but in the end, the couches are for family, which includes J & Z.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TurnerMiller01
It is not unusual here to have one stretched out and/or roached on the couch, one in the same position on the loveseat, the other two curled up in the club chairs and me? Well I am sitting on the dogbed on the floor watching TV cause the furniture is filled. :lol

Thats funny. :)

Sometimes my hounds allow ME to use the couch. :P

thats funny too :)

I clicked "sometimes" because they are allowed on MY couch, but not my dad's couch. They know the rules there and don't even attempt it. But at home... I haven't stretched out on the couch by myself for 3 years now :lol

Figgy prefers the couch... and is allowed there but if we want to sit down... he may have to move...

Lilly... she really has shown little to no interest in the couch... she actually prefers the floor and will sleep in the kitchen .. on the linoleum floor a lot.

:heart:paw

Guest koolaidnconner

They are allowed on the couch and chair. If someone(human) needs a spot to sit they know they need to get off. Sometimes you will see the dogs on the couch and skinkids on the floor.

Guest BillNY914

Benny gets 1/2 the couch, sometimes 3/4 of the couch, other times the whole couch. I'm often the one stretched out on the floor. I like it when I'm stretched out on the couch and he joins me and stretches out, usually over me, it's comforting. The one thing I never understand is when he is stretched out next to me and his nose is shoved in the pillows, how on earth does he breath? Doesn't seem to stop him though. He's also allowed up on my bed, he starts the night on the floor on his bed, and I generally wake up in the middle of the night unable to move because he is sprawled across my legs. The other night I had to slip out from underneath him and "re-arrange" him so I could actually get my half :sleepy

Stella lives for the sofa...the day she arrived she jumped on it and has never looked back.

Dude got on the furniture the first hour he was in the house

:lol I can beat both of you...

Sammi~ Time from the Door to the first time on my couch.....

....15 minutes into the Home Check

:rotfl

Guest Gemma

Peyton is allowed on the sofa. Fosters are not. With our last foster, Peyton started guarding the sofa so he had his furniture privileges revoked. Once he settled down, he was allowed back on. I actually love him being on the sofa. It's warmer than the floor during winter, and one of my favourite things is to cuddle with my puppy in the evenings. Of course, sometimes he boots me off 'accidentally'. :rolleyes:

My entire life I have been one of those people that refused to allow my dogs on the furniture...until now. :rolleyes: There is just something about these bony hounds. :unsure Anyway, Wendy is allowed on the couch. She is not allowed on the bed however, out of consideration for DH.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Opie is now a big couch potato. To him its just one more place to lay down. In the early months, he was growly towards me, so he lost all furniture privileges for a while. At first I didn't want him up on the sofa, didn't want dog hair, etc., so he would only go up while we were gone! Sneaky boy! So I started covering the couch when we left. But know I keep it covered all the time (unless I or DH sit there, or company is coning), and he goes up whenever he wants. We love him to bits, and life is too short to worry about dog hair.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest sheila
Sagan has been with us for just shy of 3 months and he is starting to come out of his shell (its so cute!). He has lately been trying to snuggle with us on the couch and I am all for it. My hubby is all for it too, but we just want to make sure we aren't letting him get away with too much...meaning..once we start giving into his requests...what else will he want?

So, comments, thoughts, and any funny stories.

M, J, and S

For me a couch isn't a couch unless there is a greyhound (or two) on it. Of the 5 ghs I have had, only one got snarky about sharing the couch. The instant he snarked at me his furniture privleges were revoked sternly and loudly. This lasted for about a week and then I allowed him back up but the rules were understood. The moment I said 'Get down' away he went (usually with a disgusted snort and the stink-eye......but no growling)