Swollen Muzzle, Swollen Glands On Neck, Trouble Swallowing

Guest Siriusly

I seriously doubt it's the heart worm pills. I'm keeping you both in my prayers. Hopefully they'll find the cause quickly and it's something simple.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Siriusly
Is there another vet you can see today for a second opinion?

The swollen parts really need to be aspirated. Could be something as simple as blocked/infected salivary glands. Not likely to be simple insect sting at this point.

Normally I would do that but I'm 100% confident that we're seeing the best greyhound vet in driving range. There are three vets in the office, all extrememly grey savvy and I've asked that she talk to the others to see if they notice anything.

Some other thoughts ...

Did they do a differential on the CBC and if yes, what was the Eosinophils (Eos) count? That's a particular type of white cell that when increased might indicate allergic reactions/immune conditions.

If he is not drinking, is he on fluids?

From your post, it sounds like the swelling has not increased since last week -- is that correct?

Also, did he have tick, heartworm, other worming or any other treatments lately? Was he exposed to other dogs that were sick? Did they do a blood culture?

Eos came back 0.16 K/uL or 2.8% Does that sound like the right numbers? I have the numbers in front of me but not sure what all the acronyms mean.

Not on fluids but I'm sure she'll put him on some when we take him in today.

Swelling on muzzle itself is down, except for the very edges of the corner of his mouth. Only other swelling we can see is the lymph nodes.

He got his regular heartworm pill the first week of June. Could that do something? Same as he's always gotten and out of the same box as last month. Hasn't been around any sick dogs.

The Eos sound OK but, it was from last week. It might be worth repeating some selected blood work to see if there are any changes in the Eos or Wbc - see what the vet says. You might want to add a blood culture just to rule out a systemic infection.

If heartworm pill was given at beginning of month, likely not related.

Any chance that the dog was bitten by something like a raccoon or a snake (or a spider) when he was outside?

Guest TurnerMiller01
I don't have anything to add, but that I will be thinking of you. I have been in this hard place, and the only thing I can say is be upfront with your vet. She should be able to help with a payment plan or something. Maybe she can treat the acute symptoms (work to reduce the swelling or whatever) and try to figure out the actual problem at a later time.

When Nellie was sick the last time I had to say, "please test for the things that it could be that would kill her", for example, kidney or liver failure. When we knew she wasn't acutely dying, then we could take out time running other tests to find out what the actual problem was.

Thats a good idea.. just be up front with the vet.. ask for a payment plan.. ask to treat the acute symptoms now so the dog gets some kind of relief..

And.. of course.. I'm saying prayers for you and your hound. :hope:hope:hope

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Not that I have any experience here, but I would ask if you could get a few bags of "ringers solution" to help keep him hydrated. Its very easy to administer yourself (simply pull up the scruff of his neck to form a skin "tent", inject needle into the "tent", open valve, allow "x" amount of fluid in, then pull needle out, cap needle, and let puppers free. I do this every other day for my cat that has kidney failure. For a case (12) it costs $48 online, box of needles and IV line come as a kit for $7. That would help keep your boy from experiencing any kidney damage from lack of water, but you said your vet was going to suggest IV today.

Guest Siriusly

Well, we just got home from the vet. He's down to 58 pounds from 63 last Thursday and 68 normally, most lost in the last two days. Good news is the vet thinks the swollen glands are his salivary glands, not lymph nodes. Bad news is we still don't know the cause of the problems. She did not think they were infected, just reacting to something else. We discussed a feeding tube for him but we'd rather not put him under until we can get his strength up a little. He can swallow and the vet saw no blockage, just swelling, so we are trying some liquid food she gave us and a puree I'm going to mix up at home and see if there is any improvement. She gave him an injection for pain along with two Fentanyl patches to try and manage the pain he seems to have when swallowing. We'll reevalute on Thursday to see how he's doing. If he's not worse and not much better we'll talk to her about doing a biopsy on this throat, glands and gums. I mentioned several of the possible causes everyone brought up but we can't find any confirmation for any of them (without biopsy). She decided to put off more blood work until later this week since we're just going to try and build some strength for the next couple of days. We'll have a full work up done again later this week. She agreed that the main concern is getting him some nutrients and calories as an immediate need and we'll handle the rest as soon as we see how this goes. Not the solutions I was looking for but I'll take them for now.

Guest Siriusly
If the glands are blocked, it's my understanding they have to be operated on.

Is he on antibiotics? Two Fentanyl patches? :eek

I'll check and see if she thinks it is a blockage. At this point I'll take take that since it would give us a diagnosis! He's on antibotics so we're good there.

I thought that about the patches, too. I told the vet I'm not going to hesitate to take one (or both) off if he starts looking like a drunken sailor. But we think it is painful for him to even lay his head all the way down which is wearing him out. He keeps holding it up even though he looks exhausted. I'm hoping all the pain meds at least let him get some good rest.

Guest Energy11

Blocked glands CAN be "fixed." Two Fentanyl patches seem a bit much to me, BUT, I AM NOT a vet! HOPE this all works out for the best and SOON! Hang in there!

Where are you? Perhaps folks on GT can help locate a different vet? Can't understand why vet wouldn't aspirate the swollen glands -- the fluid aspirated would tell you something without biopsy, such as whether there's an infection or blockage. I would also recommend doing basic bloodwork if it's been a few days -- if there's an infection, you'll see that.

Assume the 2 Fentanyl patches are to make up the correct dosage?

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just as a longshot- have you tried him on a brand-new bag of food? Preferably a different brand, or a bag not from the same lot (different store, etc.) than the one from which you're currently feeding?

Two possibilities I'm looking at here:

1) Food adulterated at the plant, or in transit, during manufacturing or shipping

2) Food contaminated in the home by chemicals

Just a longshot. But if you just opened a new bag of food just before the symptoms started, act swiftly.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Wow. Sounds like a severe allergic reaction to me...but it sounds like your vet doesn't agree at all. Could be something ongoing that continues to react--that's why Benadryl didn't work.

I'm so sorry. Believe me, I for one understand about the $$. I wish I had some ideas, but I do think Fentanyl sounds like overkill. If he has swollen glands, it feels weird to him to swallow. It may not actually HURT. I'd get whatever food I can get into him--ice cream, cat food, anything, and keep him hydrated. Then I'd check my yard inch by inch for anything ANYTHING you might not have thought of. Anything new or different--

Good luck!! What a crummy thing to have to go through--for you and your hound.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sending lots of healing prayers for your boy and supportive prayers for you.

One thought, it may not work but I thought I would mention it, my girl has giant bolsters on her couch so she doesn't have to lay her head down, unless she wants to. She can just lean it back (and look off into space). I got them because my last girl used to lay her head on the hard edged glass topped table and I didn't think that could feel good. Would your boy lean his head back if you propped some pillows for him???

Would a pillow help him? If he can't comfortably put his head down on the ground, give him a way to rest his head without having to put it all the way down. (My guys adore pillows.)

No other ideas, but best wishes from Sam, Jacey, and me.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Don't forget to rule out snake-bite. When bitten in or around the face they will swell and they are VERY painful. I know you had mentioned that $ is tight right now but, the best place for your pup is to be admitted to the vet clinic were he can receive IV fluids and IV injections. Check out Care Credit.

Is this something that Dr. Cuoto could consult for? Don't know if he's strictly cancer - don't THINK so though! Might be worth an email or phone consult with his team!!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I know you said they checked his teeth, but check again.The little itty bitty ones WAAAYYYYYY in the back. Pearl had an abscessed one and she was misdiagnosed with myocitis. She had this untreated abscess for months before we finally got it right.

I had a couple of thoughts when I read your first post, then I've read through the thread and had a few others.

First, is it possible the weight loss is due to the prednisone? The enlarged nodes could be from a local infection/situation, not cancer. The swelling of both the lips and nodes could definitely be due to a bug or snake bite. My CoCo got bit on the snout by a snake (copperhead, we presume) and she swelled up like a bulldog. One of her neck nodes looked like a golf ball, the other, a tennis ball!!! It took several days for her nodes to return to normal size.

The jaw movement issue made me wonder about "lock jaw". Tetanus apparently can occur in dogs, but is unusual, so your vet may not have thought of that. There is an antitoxin for it, from what I read on-line.

What size are the fentanyl patches (what are the #s written on them)? What brand are they? Why did the vet put two on--did he/she not have one larger one? Where are they located (Shouldn't be in groin, between legs, it gets too hot there.) If you have to remove them, don't wash the skin, especially don't use alcohol or soap, as that will drive more drug into the skin. Use gloves if you can, so you don't absorb any of the drug.

Please be very cautious about leaving those patches on a dog that may be having breathing difficulties, as fentanyl depresses respiration. In humans, they are contraindicated in individuals w COPD.

I hope your baby is feeling better soon,

DD

Edited to clarify/expand--If it is lymph nodes rather than salivary glands. Lymph nodes will enlarge locally in response to a local insult (bite, sting, foreign body, etc.), so having the nodes enlarged near the swollen lips, I would assume that it is secondary to whatever is causing the lips to swell. It's the local immune system trying to fight things off. Has the vet found any other nodes to be enlarged?

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04