Worried About Cougar - Sudden Odd Behavior

Guest TaraCoachCougar

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad he's doing better. :)

FWIW, when Cora (then 9 1/2) had her femur fixed (I realize it's a completely different op), it took about a week for the swelling and bruising to subside, even with physio/massage by the vet techs. He'll probably have stocky legs for a few more days at least.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guess who was snuggling with his mom in bed at 4:30 this am?!? :D

Came home to let Cougar out on my lunch break and he continues to look like he is improving. His appetite came back quite ferociously yesterday evening. I have been given him smaller more frequent meals than normal.

He does seem to be peeing a lot. Is that an effect of all the fluids he was given Sat - Tues? He is also on an antibiotic and I wasn't sure if that was affecting him. He is drinking a fair amount, but I wouldn't call it excessive. He did have a pee accident sometime between 7:30 when my husband left for work and noon when I got back here, but he was dead asleep when I came in. Lucky for us, he has spare crate beds so I've already got that one in the washer. And his legs seem to be a lot less swollen at this point.

Now if we could just get the tailing wagging again...

Guest Energy11

Panting is usually pain, unless it is HOTT in his environment. Probably still some pain, based on what he was through. Everything is sounding pretty good, though! GREYT news!

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Bad biopsy results. Hemangiosarcoma.

While they identified no more masses they said it's likely already spread and said chemo may provide another 6 months. Without chemo, it could be a lot less. Any experience you can share would be great.

But today he is feeling a lot better and that's what I'm going to focus on right now

Sending gentle hugs and prayers that you have only good time left and lots of it.

If he's still having some pee accidents: Joseph had some trouble lasting all night for a few days after his abdominal surgery. I think parts were just a bit sore and/or felt funny. The antibiotics can do it, too -- make their tummy feel not as good so they drink a bit more and/or pee more. Could try a pepcid (10mg famotidine) twice a day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 4baddogs

Oh Tara, I just read through al 9 pages and was so enthusiastic that Cougar did well with his surgery - and then the damn biopsy results. :(

I hope he's around with you for a long time. ((hugs)) ~Paula

I'm sorry to read the diagnosis. Hoping you two can have good times ahead and make more good memories together.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

although a devastating diagnosis, the surgery was succesful which is a positive. many who have hemangio don't make it through the surgery so this is good news Cougar did.

Guest jurishound

I am so sorry to hear of Cougar's diagnosis. Our beloved Stormy was diagnosed with atrial hemangiosarcoma and massive lung mets shortly before his 11th birthday in November. We tried a course of chemo, but it seemed to make him feel really sick for a week. In retrospect, I would not do that again. My sister's cairn terrier was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma of the spleen; it was resected and he lived a comfortable four months with no chemo. After Stormy's chemo week I promised him that if he ate I would take him to his favorite park every day, and he cooperated. He had great walks and lots of icecream before it was time to say goodbye. Spend this time doing fun and happy things with your special boy.

Guest Capslock

A friend's greyhound went almost 2 years happily with a pretty bad hemangiosarcoma - so I know it's possible! I saw it with my own eyes.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guess who is cockroaching and tail-wagging again?

Cougar is feeling soooo much better at this point.

Now, I just have to make the decision whether or take him to his appointment at the regular vet or his appointment at the oncologist's office on Friday. I've made both, but haven't made a decision yet on the chemo. I'm afraid it will be too hard on him, but since he is doing well and it hadn't spread at the time of the spleen incident, I just don't know what to do.

But, things are good for now! B)

Edited by TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Here's a Franken-belly picture if you aren't too squimish. The bruising/bleeding has really improved over the last couple of days.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4963...p;id=1316075151

And sorry it has to be so "not modest". I couldn't get my camera held to censor out his manly parts.

Edited by TaraCoachCougar

The problem with this cancer, as your vet told you, by the time the spleen is so bad it has to come out the cancer has already spread elsewhere. We lost one of our pups to this very cancer. It's such a personal decision which course of treatment to follow. I wish you so much luck and many more happy days with Cougar.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest trevdog

I'm glad he's feeling better but sorry to hear the diagnosis....I'm sure you know he lives in the now....keep your appointments and explore the options, as others have said he's doing good, and may suprise you yet and have a much longer time left with you.....

hugs