Worried About Cougar - Sudden Odd Behavior

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Just checking in on Greytalk after grandsons' visit and reading how well he was doing, I was so very sorry to learn its cancer. We recently lost 2 greys to osteo and did the chemo treatments for our youngest. He handled the chemo very well. However, after amputation and the chemo our Clark passed away just short of a year. The trouble with cancer is that it has usually spread elsewhere but is so small that it can't be detected. Would I do chemo again, I don't know. It will depend on the dog and what the onocologist says.

I really think I would keep that appt to see what they advise, and then go with my feelings. My main goal would be to keep him comfortable, quality over quantity, is the best way and your heart will tell you. Sorry for rambling, I do hope all will go okay, sending prayers your way.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad biopsy results. Hemangiosarcoma.

While they identified no more masses they said it's likely already spread and said chemo may provide another 6 months. Without chemo, it could be a lot less. Any experience you can share would be great.

But today he is feeling a lot better and that's what I'm going to focus on right now

Hemangio is what took Rex. It started somewhere else, but by the time we realized there was a problem, his lungs were shot.

Tara, this one moves fast, and you will have to decide quickly.

Sending hugs to you and Couger.

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guess who is cockroaching and tail-wagging again?

Cougar is feeling soooo much better at this point.

Now, I just have to make the decision whether or take him to his appointment at the regular vet or his appointment at the oncologist's office on Friday. I've made both, but haven't made a decision yet on the chemo. I'm afraid it will be too hard on him, but since he is doing well and it hadn't spread at the time of the spleen incident, I just don't know what to do.

But, things are good for now! B)

Dr Cuoto has said that chemo for dogs is easier than chemo for humans. I have no personal experience with either, just wishing you and Cougar many more tail-wagging, cockroaching days together.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

If it were any of my five, I'd just let them be happy and control their pain ... palliative care (pain management) like Hospice, on a day to day basis.That is just ME, and what I would do, not only for MY five, but, for ME as well ... I am very big on Hospice care! God Bless you, and we are sending prayers and love your way! DEE

Guest vahoundlover

I am thrilled that Cougar is doing so well! I am so sorry about the DX, it wouldn't hurt to explore all possibilities and then your heart will know what to do. I hope you have a very long time to spoil your handsome fella

Guest Stargirl

I'm one of those who just caught this whole thread, what a rollercoaster ride for you and Cougar. Poor guy. Can't imagine what it must be like, but I certainly feel for you and pray for the best. You've done so much for him, that no matter what your choice is you can know you did everything you could and that you did what was best for him. Just keep loving him, that is what he really wants most. Bless you.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Sitting in oncologist's office. He's checking on free chemo from Osu. Said only 5 percent get so sick they require hospitilization. Depends the dog but it could give him from 4 to 14 more good months (2 recent cases went to 14 months and that's low but I like that number - remember cougs turns 13 in sept.

Let you know soon

Guest TaraCoachCougar

We're home and so far so good. :colgate Cougar had his first chemo treatment. They gave him an anti-nausea medicine and sent home some anti-nausea pills to take over the next couple of days so hopefully that will ward off any sickness. He was just in there rifling through my niece's b-day present bags so I'll take that as a good sign since that is typical nosy Cougar.

He got a new bed from PetSmart since I had an hour to kill while we were in Charlotte. I'll try to post a link to him on his new bed on the ride home.

If you can spare one more prayer for my boy, please pray for a smooth next couple of days.

We're home and so far so good. :colgate Cougar had his first chemo treatment. They gave him an anti-nausea medicine and sent home some anti-nausea pills to take over the next couple of days so hopefully that will ward off any sickness. He was just in there rifling through my niece's b-day present bags so I'll take that as a good sign since that is typical nosy Cougar.

He got a new bed from PetSmart since I had an hour to kill while we were in Charlotte. I'll try to post a link to him on his new bed on the ride home.

If you can spare one more prayer for my boy, please pray for a smooth next couple of days.

You got it :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

What a handsome boy he is. I hope he tolerates the chemo well, and has a lot of good time left.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Couldn't see the pics but glad he is doing well. Sending scritchies and prayers for easy, successful chemo!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.