Worried About Cougar - Sudden Odd Behavior

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest Energy11

YOU POOR BABY!!! What an experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO let me/us know if there is anything we can do! Love ya! Dee and The Five ...remember, I am a retired paramedic/vet assistant.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Cougar pee on newspapers or a puppy pad? It might be easier and safer for him to pee in the house than to make the trip outside. It's too much for you to try to carry him those four steps, and I'd hate to see him fall...or you get hurt, or someone get bitten just because getting inside and outside gets painful at some point.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Wow! What a roller coaster ride. I'm glad he's home. As some of the meds start wearing off, he'll know where he is. I don't imagine he'll be real steady on his feet for a little while, so be sure to "spot" him when he is moving. Did they say anything about not jumping, running, or being loose in the yard for potties?

Sending hugs,

Just curious: how long is the incision and how many staples?

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest vahoundlover

Oh poor fella :( I'm glad he's home. I'd imagine with some good sleep, food in his belly he'll start realizing he's home and feeling more like himself. Keeping Cougar in my prayers. :candle

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I don't think he'll pee on the pads. It's pretty much ingrained in him to go outside. He even waited Sunday afternoon from leaving vet #2 to pee a flood outside before we put him in the car.

I'm optimistic we'll do ok on the steps since I saw him come up them last time. They are carpeted and under a roof and not too steep. We'll definately be there to catch on the way down or support on the way back up if need be.

When DH got home, he sat down on the mattress with Cougs and rubbed his head. He ended up laying back down flat on his side and when DH would quit the gentle head rubbing, he would do his characteristic paw swipe at him that indicates you weren't supposed to stop. :)

The local animal control has not yet contacted me (no message on answering machine yet anyway worked from 6:30am to 5pm and then went straight to pick Cougar up returning around 8pm). The longer they wait, the more days we'll already have under our belt.

Cougs is up. Going go try to feed a little more and give meds.

I hope you have a good night and that you can all get some rest.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

He got up when I started to scoop out his supper, but wanted to go out first. We opened the door, but we were hoovering and he backed up. Didn't want his kibble but it had those nasty smelling antibiotics on top of it. He did eat a half a carton of Trix yogurt. I then mashed his pills up (antibiotic and Tramadol) and stirred into trix yogurt and he lapped it all up. Sneaky mom!

He then went to his crate in our bedroom and has laid down flat. Praying the night continues to go this well.

I hope you all have a peaceful night :)

I don't think you are supposed to crush the tramadol. I seemed to remember something about that but can only find one website that says so (drugs.com). Medicinenet says the extended release tablets shouldn't be crushed. I don't know the difference, exceptit looks like the 50s are the immediate release and the 100, 200, 300 are extended release.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest LindsaySF

I just read this thread. You guys have been through a lot! I hope he continues to improve. He actually looks pretty good in the pics, the bruising is not too bad.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

The tramadol is small enough that I don't have to crush it for him to lap it up with the yogurt. I only crush the clavamox.

And I haven't bothered him enough to try to get down there to count staples. I'll try to do that later today or tomorrow.

Our night was pretty uneventful. He went out once and appeared to rest peacefully. He wouldn't touch any kibble this morning, but ate more yogurt and a little bit of applesauce. Then I thought I'd heard something about applesauce being made with the seeds crushed up in it and maybe something about apple seeds being harmful, so he only got half of an individual serving carton. Oh, and he got a small hunk of turkey. Appetite for the good stuff is ok, but not up for kibble yet.

Ha, did my boy fool me. When he got up for a 4:30 potty, he would only put his front paws on the top steps before backing into the house. I guess he is scared it will hurt or he won't make it. So he politely turns the corner into the hallway and pees on a cheap runner rug we have. That I could through in the washer.

I went to work from 6am to 7:30am and returned before DH had to leave. He got up about 8am and went to the door to go out. After 2 false starts, he turned around and peed on a cheap rug I've got in the living room. Doesn't look like we are going to hurt ourselves going down the stairs. I'm not going to push it either.

I'm hoping to spend a few hours working from home and if Cougs is doing well, I may go back in for a little bit this afternoon.

He is showing a little bit of interest in licking now and I'm sure as he continues to feel better, he's going to try it more. Would we be better off putting on his racing muzzle or that lampshade thing when he is in his crate to prevent licking?

Thanks.

For us, a kennel muzzle with some tape on the end (just white medical tape, stuck to itself thru the muzzle holes) worked fine to prevent licking. Lampshade is hard to keep on a greyhound and really gets in the way in a crate.

Applesauce doesn't have seeds crushed up in it.

Glad to hear he is holding his own.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thinking about it, I think it was apple cider that they crushed everything up in it. Too much late night Food Network.

Not sure I have surgical tape, but I can pick some up when I go out this afternoon.

Any kind of tape that sticks to itself will do. I like surgical tape because it's narrow so easy to thread thru the muzzle holes.

Here are some pics:

yetanotherview.jpg

bottomview.jpg

onthedog.jpg

You might have to tape more on the sides. I tried the above first, and Joseph couldn't get to his tummy incision so I left it as is.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest trevdog

A tshirt worked well for Dallas to keep her away from her staples. I tied the looseness up in a knot against her tummy to keep her away from it.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thanks for the pics. We'll try that. I am more worried about him gnawing out the staples in a few days since he did that with leg stitches once.

VinnieandRexsMom - It looks like there are about 15 staples under there.

He just ate 2 boiled eggs with strawberry yogurt mixed in.

He is still moving real slow and still has puffy legs. Still a no-go on the stairs. I guess that is to be expected at this point.

Guest LindsaySF

If he is ok peeing on the rugs, you should try some wee wee pads. Easier for you to clean up, and then you won't have to worry about the stairs just yet. :)

Guest Energy11
Thanks for the pics. We'll try that. I am more worried about him gnawing out the staples in a few days since he did that with leg stitches once.

VinnieandRexsMom - It looks like there are about 15 staples under there.

He just ate 2 boiled eggs with strawberry yogurt mixed in.

He is still moving real slow and still has puffy legs. Still a no-go on the stairs. I guess that is to be expected at this point.

Glad he is eating something. He will be moving slowly for a while. The T-shirt IS a good idea :-) I think the wee wee pads are a great idea as well. Keep us posted, and feel FREE to call me if you need to! Hugs! Dee

Any kind of tape that sticks to itself will do. I like surgical tape because it's narrow so easy to thread thru the muzzle holes.

Here are some pics:

yetanotherview.jpg

bottomview.jpg

onthedog.jpg

You might have to tape more on the sides. I tried the above first, and Joseph couldn't get to his tummy incision so I left it as is.

WHAT a greyt idea! ... taping the muzzle like that! Boy, you guys are inventive!

Guest Energy11
Fifteen staples is a good incision. Vinnie took out his staples once. We didn't get them again :lol

I hope you have a quiet day and Couger rests.

Sending hugs,

Well ... if you ever lose your staple remover .... :-)) :D:lol::hehe:rotfl Vinnie would be your dog :-)) Wow, NEVER heard of them taking them out like that!

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I was gone about an hour longer than I wanted to be, but Cougar is doing so good. When I uncrated him and took his muzzle off, he even did a little head/neck shake. He ate some kibble and even went down the steps and peed & pooped outside! Of course, I had bought pee pads on the way home, but I'll gladly put them in the closet for now. He's definately a little perkier. I can't quit smiling! Hope things continue to go well. I just wish the swelling in his legs was gone.

Guest Energy11

Thanks for the update! Sounds like Cougar is on the MEND! :-)) Well, ya know ... if you hadn't bought those pee pee pads, he'd never have gone out, right? ;))