Not As Bad As It Sounds

Rhem is on the "double book" list @ the vet's office tonight.

I called for an appointment for him for early next week or this Saturday for worsening of an old issue along with some new ones--and the receptionist put me on hold, came back to the phone, and said the vets want him seen tonight. Now I'm scared.

He has a cough and a hoarse bark, which is not new--his vet has known about it for months. The cough was mostly after he eats and there was some speculation that it may or may not be early LP. Well his cough has become more frequent, and his breathing seems harsh at times, and for the last week I've thought his throat looks and feels swollen. And for the last few days he's had sort of a shaking tremor, but only his upper body, not his lower body. Sort of like he's cold, which he obviously isn't.

Let me just say that I love this boy more than life, and if I thought he was in distress at any time, he would've already been at the vet, day or night. So I was surprised when they said he needs to be seen tonight. I guess it was me mentioning his breathing. He is eating and drinking normally.

He's my heart--I've felt the last few months like he's slowly slipping away from me, though, and it's breaking my heart. He's only 12 and a half, but he's an old 12 and a half.

I guess just keep my boy in your prayers.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest Energy11

You have ALL OF OUR PRAYERS HERE! Two humans, and FIVE Hounds!

Love and hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE keep us posted! Dee :grouphug:bighug:goodluck:candle:hope:getwell

Fingers, toes, paws all crossed for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TurnerMiller01

:goodluck

keeping my fingers crossed that everything is okay and he turns out to be just fine...

many prayers to you ... :hope:candle:hope:candle

Thanks, guys. :beatheart

The vet doesn't really know what's wrong with him. He said the reason they wanted us to come in last night was because his throat is swollen--they were thinking maybe it was lymph nodes = lymphoma. I hadn't even thought of that. It's not swollen lymph nodes, though. The vet said it feels like edema (fluid). No clue why that might be. He's lost six pounds since February, and has pretty bad muscle wasting all over. We did bloodwork, and he got a dexamethasone shot.

Really, that's as much as I know @ this point. I'm hoping the steroid shot helps everything--the vet said he may have to be on steroids indefinitely.

It sucks not having any real answers. He really is the most precious boy, and absolutely owns my heart.

We do appreciate the prayers and good thoughts!

This is my Rhemus:

Rhemus23-25-06.jpg

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Bit of a longshot, but if you're feeding kibble, might switch to soft food. You can turn kibble into soft food by soaking it overnight in the fridge in a big lot of water. If there's anything affecting his throat/esophagus, the soft food will go down easier.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.