Anyone Use Clomiprimine?

My foster is on this and I'm trying to find more info about it.

I gave him his night dose at dinner and it's like he's stoned- his eyes are really shiny and he's not moving at all

I wonder if he really need to be on this

I need to make a vet appt for him so will bring this up

Anyone use it for their hound?

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari...

Does he have seperation anxiety??

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

If he doesn't have separation anxiety, not sure why they'd give it to him? Did he come from another foster home, or a return?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have not ever used it but SA is the only thing I have heard it used for with dogs. I would definately talk to your vet and see how to take him off of it. I would imagine that the stoned look would be appropriate for what it is supposed to treat....REALLY calming him down.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

If he doesn't have separation anxiety, not sure why they'd give it to him? Did he come from another foster home, or a return?

He's 6 and a return

Lived with 2 IG's (that would be reason enough for me to want drugs :lol)

There's not even a dosage on the bottle, I had to read thru the prev owners email to find the dosage (2 pills twice a day)

I know that he's nervous/scared to be outside but Lucky acts the same way and I would never think to drug him.

The prev owner brought him to my house and he did say that he acted better at my house so maybe being around hounds helps him.

(I'm NOT judging the prev owner- just not sure the drugs are needed now)

I will talk to the vet and I want them to go over his thick vet record file :(

hmmm...I wonder if this would help Passion :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

That medication can not be stopped cold turkey. Your vet can tell you how to gradually reduce the dose. When my Gracie was on it for severe SA she only took it for 3 months total.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It is spelled clomipramine if you do a search on the web.

My sweet Calvin (who was a bounce) came to me on it 50 mg twice a day. Are they yellow capsules?

Anyways, they make him a little less bouncier but not stoned. like.

I don't mind the bouncie so we are weaning him off of it, he now takes 50 mg once a day.

My Jacey took it for about three months for severe SA. We* worked up gradually to her optimal dose (I don't remember what that was) over a two-week period, and she was taking Valium, too. We stopped the Valium after a month, and started stepping down the Clomicalm (brand name for clomipramine) about two-and-a-half months into it.

Jacey was never dopey--from the Valium or the Clomicalm--never glassy-eyed or sleepy, never showed any visible effects. But it did work as it was supposed to: the drugs took the "edge" off, and she calmed down enough to recognize that mom went to work, came home, and the universe did not come to a screeching halt. Once we got her off the drugs, she never had another problem with SA, even when she was left home alone (when Sam went somewhere with me and she didn't).

*"We" = her vet and me. There's a risk of liver damage, if I remember correctly, so you have to work up to the full dosage slowly, step down slowly, and run blood work every few months if the dog stays on the drug for very long.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I had Carl on it for SA. The veterinary medicine is called Clomicalm, the human version (the same medication) is clomipramine hydrochloride. As other have stated, you can't stop it cold turkey, the vet can tell you how to taper it off. If it really is clomipramine it shouldn't be making him glassy eyed when he takes it. It sounds more like an Acepromazine reaction.

Call the vet and make sure what the medication is and how to stop/wean off of it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

It sounds like that dose is too much. What is the mg strength? It is not supposed to make him stoned.

He's getting 200 mg a day (100mg in the morning and the same at night)

The vet that I will be taking him to will be a diff vet than the one he used to see.

The hound is from a diff state as is his vet

I have no idea how long he's been on it

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest SusanP

That's *double* the dose my hounds have taken. I'd call a vet today early before giving him any more.

If he's been on an overdose for awhile, he might need a vet check, too. These meds over time can affect some organs (liver, maybe? I forget).

My Zippy takes this during storm season to keep imaginary, in-between T-storms at bay. Spinner took it when he had a bout of stair phobia a couple of months ago, just short term. Neither acts any differently at all on it, other than not imagining a t-storm a day or being afraid to tackle the stairs again.

Edited by SusanP

Dandi has been on clomipramine 75mg twice daily for about 2 yrs, for anxiety disorder and fear aggression. The usual dose of clomipramine is .5 - 1.5mg/lb twice daily, so depending on the dog's weight, 100mg might not be inappropriate.

I'll also add that I haven't seen any side effects whatsoever, but unfortunately I think it's not been terribly effective for Dandi, so he's going back to the veterinary behaviorist this week to talk about other options.

Especially if the dog has been on clomipramine for a while, there should be little in the way of side effects. And I agree that this drug needs to be titrated up and tapered down.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest houndlover

Casey was on it for years (75mg 2x's a day) and NEVER had any type of problems with it. He never seemed dazed and confused or anything like that. Casey was on it b/c he was very nervous about everything. I gradually weaned him off of it and he hasn't been on it for probably 4 years now and he is like a different dog. I would suggest making an appt to take him to the vet and see about possibly weaning him off of it. If you find that he really needs it you could always put him back on it.

I'd call the family and see why this dog is on this dose. If the dog has severe separation anxiety, this may be what keeps him on an even keel, and if it's working, you might not want to mess with lowering the dose or taking him off of it until he's in a permanent home.

I've had several dogs with separation anxiety. My Frasier took that same dosage and after many months it helped a bit, but there must be work on the part of the owner as well.

My Lulu has the worst separation anxiety I've ever seen, we tried clomicalm with no reaction at max. dosage. Tried prozac with little to no help from that drug. Not valium or other drugs helped either. Until my vet did a lot of research and we decided to try ace, give it 1 hour before I leave the house... stgarted at 2.5 mg, then 5 mg, then 7.5 mg and FINALLY at 10 mg she calms down and I can leave without her going insane and when I get home she's relaxed and calm and best of all, no bloody diarrhea from the stress of me leaving the house. I'm acatually amazed at how well it works, she's like a different dog when I leave or return. And yes, I have worked with her and many behaviour modifications and even consulted with someone about it and that's when we started the drugs at her suggestion. It has taken me 5 years to get her to this point.

Clomicalm is usually the first drug tried for dogs with severe anxiety, whether for SA or generalized anxiety disorder. It doesn't work the same for every dog, just like every drug doesn't work for every person.

I agree that a proper dosage should NOT make him completely comatose - glassy staring eyes, and laying limply on the floor, no interest in on-going activities. Even for a severe anxiety reaction you should not drug a dog up that much. You can't just not give it to him though as it does need to be tapered off. Please discuss this with your vet asap.

He may still need medication support, but that does sound like too much.

If he was an only grey in his previous home, and is now in a home with another grey companion, the reason for his being medicated - supposed SA - might not apply anymore. It would be nice to have some more info from his former family, but they may not be forthcoming. Your group should keep this in mind when finding him his new home.

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks- I do have his medical records

The prev owner got back to me last night and said he's been on this for a few years

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Good deal on the medical records. Did the owner say why he was on such a big dose?

Nope

Went to the vet today and she gave me weaning instructions

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari, the previous owner didn't even tell you why the dog was taking the meds at all? That would certainly be helpful info - whether it was from SA or generalized anxiety or OCD behaviors...

Anyway, hope you find the pup doesn't need it at all. We've got a foster now on it for severe SA. Not doing much for him yet, so we may have to switch meds. *sigh*

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire