Bee Wiseman Has A Lump On Her Face

Bee Wiseman has a lump on the side of her face. I touched it. It feels like a bubble under the skin. It doesn't appear to be in her gum line but under the skin on the side of her face. It doesn't appear to hurt her.

Lump side:

IMG_0359.jpg

Normal side:

IMG_0360.jpg

Full face view:

IMG_0358.jpg

What is this? Help!!

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

My first thought would be to check her teeth and gums for an infection or abscess. Then maybe a bug or spider bite.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Funny you should say that abscesses are not painful and that they will continue to eat..............I just fed Bee Wiseman and she ate as if I hadn't fed her for weeks. She does that every night, though. Thanks for the responses. We'll see how this looks in the morning. Bug bite is a definite possibility here, too. We have many tiny spiders crawling around this time of year.

Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Energy11

Fatty tumor (not cancer)?, buggy bite?, all possible. Why not try (2) 25 mg of BENEDRYL tonight, JUST IN CASE it is a bug bite! Can't hurt, and part of the first aid protocol. Good Luck! Dee

Guest GentleHugs

Abscessed tooth, piece of kibble or cookie stuck in between the cheek and tooth, bug bite, bee sting, fatty lump? It could be anything but if it doesn't go down in a day or so - I'd have it checked out. If it's an abscessed tooth and the abscess breaks, the infection from the abscess can spread - possibly to the heart and other organs.

One of my girls used to always get a piece of kibble stuck between her teeth and cheek in the far back of her mouth and it would look like she had a huge lump like that. I'd have to reach back in there with my finger and pop it out. Of course, she used to eat her food like it was going out of style, too. Her teeth were never the best and at her last dental, she ended up having most of her teeth pulled except for her 4 canines. Now, her canines raise her lips up on both sides making people think she's going to bite them when she smiles. We soak her food now so it's easier for her to eat.

Guest kydie

I vote bug bite, open her mouth, take a good smell and inspect her teeth , usually, usually, you can see a darker red,or swallen area around a tooth

Is it far enough down that you can tell if it is in the lip or gum, or is it higher up? When you palpitate it is is squishy or uncomfortable for her?

I'm voting vet check if she isn't playing chipmunk and hiding a snack for later...

Guest snakes

looks identical to an abcessed tooth we had here, the swelling went down after two days then came back thats when we went to the vet and it had to come out immediately and they said it was a disaster of a tooth after the extraction.

Guest Energy11
swelling is down a little bit today but we are on our way to the vet right now.

DO keep us all posted about Bee!

we just got back from the vet. she said that her first thought was abscess but upon exam this seemed different to her. the lump can be moved around under the skin which seemed odd to her. abscesses don't usually present themselves this way. they don't generally move under the skin. she gave bee a shot of benadryl to address the bug bite theory. she also sent us home with clavamox and rimadyl. we'll watch and see if this shrinks on its own in the next few days. the vet also mentioned the possibility of this lump being a tumor. YIKES!! let's hope this isn't the case.

the gums around the tooth below the lump don't look good but that is no surprise. bee has very few of her teeth left and the few she has are not great. we had them cleaned a few months ago but it may be time for that molar to come out. we'll take her back to our adoption group (where they do MANY greyhound dental procedures) and left them look at the tooth there.

so that's where we stand at this time. i'm hoping this is nothing. i sure do love my sweet Bee. thanks a million for the advice. we appreciate it.

Holly Oaks Holly

If she's had teeth removed, could the lump be a socket (hole) from one of the missing teeth that is filled with something? I've read somewhere that that can be a problem, but don't know the details. I'd guess it can also cause an infection.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest ThunderPaws

My Midnight has the EXACT thing! Nighty is only 2 years old and has pearly white teeth. I noticed these 'bubbles' about 2-3 months ago. I thought she had bumped her face while racing around the yard, but the bubbles didn't go away. At first it were about three bubbles, now it has been only one for a long time. I poked, looked, wiggled, but I have no idea what it is.

PLEASE let me know if you find out!

Edited by ThunderPaws

Guest GentleHugs

Could it be a clogged saliva gland by any chance? Not sure since I don't know all the locations of the saliva glands in a dog.

Guest ThunderPaws
Could it be a clogged saliva gland by any chance? Not sure since I don't know all the locations of the saliva glands in a dog.

That's a good idea, makes sense!

Guest Ohiogreymom

My Chickers has this exact thing on his face. It's even in the same place, just maybe a little smaller. He's a blood donor at OSU, and they've been watching it for a couple months now. They have not been able to extract cells from it, only blood, and they are almost sure it's just a fatty tumor, but because it IS growing, they want it removed, so I'm taking him to my vet in town in the morning to set that up, and make sure it's tested after to find out for sure what it is. :(

• 2 months later...
Guest lawter
Bee Wiseman has a lump on the side of her face. I touched it. It feels like a bubble under the skin. It doesn't appear to be in her gum line but under the skin on the side of her face. It doesn't appear to hurt her.

Lump side:

IMG_0359.jpg

Normal side:

IMG_0360.jpg

Full face view:

IMG_0358.jpg

What is this? Help!!

Did Bee's lump resolve on its own? What was the cause?

Jody