Drake's Healing Progress - After Mass Removal From Both Left Legs

Guest FLT

Drake is feeling pretty good today - although he's limping a bit more now that the incisions are out. I'm not really surprised, given that the back leg has a gaping area in the wound, and the front paw has a small open area that is only getting bigger as the skin continues to die over an area that has a compromised area of blood flow according to the surgeon.

I was able to snap a photo of Drake's rear leg before they bundled it back up. I'll put that photo last in this post though, in case you didn't want to see it.

I spoke with Dr. Marin at OSU today. (Dr. Couto was in clinic and asked the operator to put us together so I could at least see what else they needed.) She asked that we have the actual slides sent so they can review those as well as just the results - so I'm working on that now. Hopefully we can get that over to them in the next day or two (they need to be shipped from Colorado State where they were processed).

Drake has been feeling fine - and we are having trouble keeping him from playing and jumping around. It's hard to tell from the photos though, because as with most hounds he does spend most of his time asleep. (thank goodness I don't have a border collie to keep quiet!! LOL)

From late last Thursday.. Drake says - "Hello Ladies!!"

3588914471_7bbbf6f226_b.jpg

When we took him in on Friday they found that he had some debris in his bladder and wanted to do a sterile urine draw (with a needle) so they clipped his fur on his belly too.. if we keep this up he won't have any fur left, especially on his left side!

This photo is actually from Monday, after his suture removal and bandage change. I couldn't get the color right for some reason.. the bandages are actually a dark blue.

3589723426_b79a59fd0e_b.jpg

A friend of ours spent the night on the sofa - which is why there are pillows and sheets and blankets piled up for these shots. Kaylee took over the soft warm area, and says "no flash photography, please!"

3588915025_c5c9617701_b.jpg

Finally - here is the quick shot I was able to take of Drake's rear leg incision. Poor guy is gaping open, but hopefully the doc is right and a pressure bandage will fix it up over the next week.

3589723164_33aeb12b10_b.jpg

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be so hard to juggle everything plus this issue, which you could probably spend all your time on, if allowed. When do you think you'll get some input from Dr. Couto, such that you can make your decision about amputating? What a rough decision to have to make!! :(

How does Drake seem to be feeling?

Hang in there!

:grouphug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Good afternoon everyone!

Xan- you've got it right about having to juggle everything. I'm really feeling more stress than I ever had in my life - which is just crazy! I'm just back to school, and need to do well in the two summer classes I'm taking to have a chance to get admitted to the RN program - and I need to get them done this summer and not push them to the fall because of admission deadlines. Microbiology in a summer session is crazy - I was up until almost 1am finishing homework and doing preparatory reading for the lab I have tonight following the lecture. We have a flooding basement that is scheduled to be waterproofed next Friday and have find time to empty most of the basement out! I just had a dumpster delivered today, since many things are ruined from the water damage. Will have to see about renting a storage unit for the rest of the crap.

But enough about my silliness! On to Drake!

Drake seems to be feeling fine, although now that the sutures are out he is favoring the front paw more again. He's acting like he was prior to surgery, holding it up 90% of the time and limping severely when he does use it. I suspect that's because of the dying skin on top of the paw, as well as the lack of support of the sutures nearby that was probably stabilizing that a bit. He is still his happy loving self, though.

I've been doing a lot of phone tag to try and get slides sent from the University of Colorado to OSU for review. I think it's finally sorted out - and they are going to prepare 6 new slides from the samples (they had 3 blocks on this case - and are going to leave 3 slides unstained, and stain the other 3). They expect to have those done by Friday, and will overnight them to Dr. Marin at OSU. Hopefully those will arrive on Monday morning.

In the meanwhile I've got a disc to send to Dr. Marin at OSU as well, with the chest and abdominal x-rays. I"ll try to send that out on my way to class tonight (except I may have to work late - will have to see) and if I don't get it out today I"ll send it out tomorrow via overnight delivery so she'll have it on Friday.

Dr. Marin did say that although they want to review the slides before they give me an opinion, if things are as they seem they think that chemo on the Hemangiosarcoma without amputation may be the way to go. Of course, I then asked about the back leg with the Nerve Sheath Tumor and she didn't have an opinion formed on that one yet. Still running in place, but am hopeful.

Sorry no new photos today - it's my long day with work from 8am to 4-something, lecture from 5:30 to 6:45pm, and lab from 7pm to 9:40pm. I should be home around 10:30 tonight. Whew!

I left strict orders for the dog walker to not actually walk the dogs (Hubby is normally home during the day - but has to go in to work Tuesday to Friday this week, so I've got dog walkers in today and Friday) but instead to bag up Drake's bandages to keep them dry and just go out in the potty area with them to let them have a chance to go, and to keep Drake from playing outside. Drake has been pretty good - but he's starting to want to get rambunctious a bit, and now that he doesn't have stitches in to support the healing incisions I'm trying to be even more careful about it!

Cheers,

FL

It must be so hard to juggle everything plus this issue, which you could probably spend all your time on, if allowed. When do you think you'll get some input from Dr. Couto, such that you can make your decision about amputating? What a rough decision to have to make!! :(

How does Drake seem to be feeling?

Hang in there!

:grouphug

Guest ss556

Just seeing this post now. I give you a lot of credit of keeping it all together at such a stressful time. There's so much going on. Hugs to you. I cannot offer any advice as I lost Alan in April to hemangio - suddenly - no signs before hand - he was bleeding into his belly. You've dealt with that before, so you know. My heart goes out to you. Drake is lucky to have you and I'm sending tons of prayers for the best possible recovery for him.

Guest caiteag

I've just read through the whole thread.. my heart just sank for you with the diagnosis. My prayers are with you and Drake and I'm sending all sorts of love and white light for him.

Just catching up with this thread and am heartsick after reading the dx. FL, you are way beyond the best! I just can't imagine the load you're carrying around between work, school, home and Drake, your cup runneth over. Keep in mind that we at GT have your back and are praying just as fast as we can as as hard as we can for you, DH and Drake. Sending powerful prayers :candle and healing white light to Drake and hugs :grouphug of support and encouragement to you.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Well, that "Hello, ladies" pic is certainly beautiful! He is a charmer, isn't he? Thanks for posting. That back incision looks great except for the gap, but that should improve.

Sorry there is still so much uncertainty about the front leg. You have so much on your plate. My heart is aching for you, and I hope you can find a moment of true rest. You are being brave and organized and adept at multitasking, but it's gotta catch up with you. Is there anything that would rejuvenate you, if only for a little while? For me, it would be a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch ice cream, but hey, whatever works!

Drake, you're in our prayers, sweetie.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Wow! You really DO have a lot on your plate right now! :blink:

It's great to hear how good he actually feels, despite it all. If the challenge is how to keep a happy dog down, that's the kind of problem to have! :)

Keep us updated, when you have time, that is!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

:grouphug FL :grouphug

what a lot on your plate!

Do you have any EMT gel? You could put that on the open part of the cut and it will help it scab up and heal quickly.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

OMG - You guys and your positive thoughts and white lights and prayers - they are working!

We got an email from Dr. Couto about an hour ago, and it says.

"Dr. Marin and I looked at Drake's biopsies with our pathologists. We (fortunately) disagree with the diagnoses and believe that the "soft tissue sarcoma" is a chronic inflammatory reaction (and we are doing some special stains on them), and the "hemagiosarcoma" is a benign hemangioma. Please call us on Monday so we can chat. Have a GREYT weekend!"

I can't wait to talk with him on Monday - but if I read this right he is saying that Drake doesn't have cancer at all!!!!! Not in either leg!!!

Please, please, please keep whatever positive energies you have started flowing while they finish their special staining over the weekend and that they have this same excellent news for us on Monday!!

::does a happy dance::

Edited by FLT

Guest eaglflyt

Oh my!!!! What WONDERFUL news!!!! This made me tear up with joy!!!!

Thank Heaven for answered prayers .... and for Dr. Cuoto and his team!!!

Edited by eaglflyt

This is why I encourage people to have OSU do a second opinion. This is also why I love Dr Couto and his team, they are there for us. I get goosebumps reading this kind of post. Praying the news is still good on Monday.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Energy11
OMG - You guys and your positive thoughts and white lights and prayers - they are working!

We got an email from Dr. Couto about an hour ago, and it says.

"Dr. Marin and I looked at Drake's biopsies with our pathologists. We (fortunately) disagree with the diagnoses and believe that the "soft tissue sarcoma" is a chronic inflammatory reaction (and we are doing some special stains on them), and the "hemagiosarcoma" is a benign hemangioma. Please call us on Monday so we can chat. Have a GREYT weekend!"

I can't wait to talk with him on Monday - but if I read this right he is saying that Drake doesn't have cancer at all!!!!! Not in either leg!!!

Please, please, please keep whatever positive energies you have started flowing while they finish their special staining over the weekend and that they have this same excellent news for us on Monday!!

::does a happy dance::

THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS!! As someone pointed out at Dr. Couto's Mt. Hound's Senimar, "Dr. Couto is a God for greyhounds!" He and his team ARE a certainly a GIFT for all of us who are greyhound parents!

OMG - how wonderful that sounds! Best wishes! :goodluck:clover:hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I was just checking too. ???

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Wow, I'm just seeing this latest update. Any more input from OSU? Hope things continue in this positive manner.

And give your boy a hug!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown