Drake's Healing Progress - After Mass Removal From Both Left Legs

Guest FLT

Yes - I DO know that! But until we do anything more drastic there is no point in mobilizing the troops ;-)

It's only if we have to move forward with something like an amputation, or any treatment that requires constant doggie sitting afterwards that I'd need to call on anyone for help.

Thank you, I know you are always there for me (and my fur babies)

FL! You KNOW that if you need help you have only to ask! Granted I can only come by after work but I'm not going anywhere between now and Pennsic - if you need me to spend time on the couch I'm all yours!

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fastdogs

Wasn't there an article in a recent issue of CG about Milk of Magnesia (MoM) being used on a wound that had a difficult time healing? I wonder if that would work for his rear leg wound.

Good luck.

Guest Energy11

I am GLAD you are taking Drake to OSU! I have also wondered if that man sleeps! Good luck, and LOTS of prayers!

Heck, I can teach you how to wrap the leg - I've had to do it so often that I just went ahead and bought all the supplies... :rolleyes:

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Update: Drake's appointment today was a rush affair by Dr. Roa - he's covering some of Dr. P's recovering patients while Dr. P is on vacation - so I think he's a little swamped!

He changed the bandage on the front paw, and said that based on Dr. P's notes that everything is about the same. Still healing, can't tell if the tissue growing in is healthy or tumor.

He opted to leave the rear leg along until the next appointment, which is Monday - so maybe that week of healing will be enough to have FINALLY sealed up that wound so we can leave the bandage off. Fingers crossed on that one - would be nice to only have to keep ONE bandage dry.

The Bartonella titers came back negative - which they reminded me doesn't mean he does not have Bartonella - just that he doesn't have one of the strains they can actually test for. Oh well, it was only a $300 test - no answers with it, but at least we looked. I'd hate to think I'm leaving any stone unturned at this point.

The cytology results from the "thing" on Drake's upper thigh also came back normal - just some inflammation. Hopefully it will continue to improve and go away on it's own. If it sticks around another month or so we'll biopsy that too - so please little thing.. GO AWAY!

Got new IV bags for Drake's paws - the ones we had were wearing thin. They make great bandage covers! I'll have to snap a photo of Drake and his bandage covers next time I put him out with them :-)

Next appointment, Monday morning. Sorry work, you take another hit!

DH leaving in the next week or so for Germany (poor him, eh?) with the National Guard. He should be back sometime around the end of the month.

Edited by FLT

I should have taken the time to ask for wrapping lessons.. Drake didn't chew through his bandage this time - but he licked and drooled on it until it was sodden. I was in the back room cleaning off my desk, and hubby was out mowing the lawn. Hubby didn't think to muzzle him, and he was only outside for about 15 min.

This was after somehow getting it "wet" earlier today when he was muzzled (we think, maybe drooling through the ports in the stool guard?)

Because it was VERY wet - I opted to swing out to CVS to bolster the first aid supplies, and then go ahead and re-wrap it dry to tide him over until morning.

Well - now I"ve seen the wound and I kind of understand why Dr. Prostredny keeps wanting to amputate instead of heal up his paw. It has been more than 6 weeks and he has a half-dollar sized opening right where the lump used to be - and I'm pretty sure that it is a tendon I'm seeing in there through the wound. Yeeeesh!

Now I understand why it's draining so much.. and it's a darn good thing I banished DH to the basement before I started unwrapping. He'd have fainted dead away (he doesn't do "gore").

I did take a photo of the wound - and I'm going to post it but you'll have to click the link to see it, because I don't want to squick anyone. Poor Drake - now I understand WHY he doesn't much use that paw!

Nasty Hole in Drake's Front Paw - 6.5 weeks after mass removal.

Any suggestions for speeding up the healing are welcome - but I think this is a matter of him needing to grow enough tissue to fill the hole!

FL

Ask your vet about SSD -- silver sulfadiazine. We have had a couple deep nasties that could not be stitched due to location; glopped on a bunch of SSD ointment and kept wrapped for a few weeks; healed nicely. It may be that Drake's won't heal because of the tumor activity :( but I'd think the SSD is worth a try.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor Drake & poor you. :( It must bother him a lot - I guess that's why he won't leave it alone. But it looks clean.

Since it's behind his pad, there must be a lot of pressure on the skin every time he moves. Does the bandage limit his range of motion or would there be some way to do that? Just so the skin can start to close up? Some kind of soft casted splint? Is the wound smaller than it first was?

What's being put on the wound? Maybe it's time to try some old fashioned treatments like manuka honey, or water therapy or domeboro or milk of magnesia (like fastdogs mentioned). But I don't know if the wound is that far along yet or too open. I guess I'd be seeking to try some aggresive wound healing therapy at this point since just wrapping it has kind of stalled.

Hang in there Drake - the solution is out there somewhere! :hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Thank you for all the suggestions - our regular surgeon will be back next week, so I'm going to make a big ol' list of stuff to discuss with him for options and see how he feels about any of it as compared to the hole in Drake's foot at that time. If anyone else wants to wade in with a suggestion I'll be printing out info on all of them and taking them with me.

Today's update is that for the front paw Drake got a new shorter wrap that I am hopeful will actually move around a little less on his paw - it is a good 4 inches shorter (and boy did Drake have a good time licking his exposed leg above the new wrap on the drive home - it must be like getting a cast off for wanting to get it clean).

The vet we saw also opted to leave the back bandage off because it was no longer draining and was apparently sealed up. Of course by the time I got ready for work after bring Drake home he had popped a little section of it open, so I cleaned and neosporin'ed the spot (don't want another staph infection!) and put a bit of sterile gauze and a wrap of vet wrap over it.. trying to keep it clean and hopefully it will not get any bigger. If it does, it'll be back to the vet's office for a new rear wrap (something neither Drake or I want!)

Next scheduled bandage change on the front is Thursday morning.

The bandage does limit the range of motion on the paw quite a bit, and further Drake only rarely actually uses the paw (now I know why!)

The hole is about the size of the original lump, and the surgeon did tell me that they had skin over it after the surgery but that there was a blood flow issue after removing the tumor and some skin was going to die off, and he wasn't sure how much. If you look "behind" the open hole there are two dots on the skin further up the paw that used to be open spots about the size of a straw opening that have healed up - so there is some healing going on down there. per the surgeon, the area that is open now got progressively bigger over 4 weeks, and then stopped expanding and is probably not going to be able to grow any skin until the paw itself regrows enough tissue to build on.

I've asked about water therapy before, and have been told that he just needs to fill in tissue before that sort of treatment will help - but that was after the 5th week.. once our normal guy is back from vacation I'm going to ask again about that (and any other suggestions that we come up with in the meanwhile). Thank you for the suggestions about some of the treatments you and everyone else has come up with.. please feel free to keep 'em coming!

I don't think they are putting anything on it right now - just keeping it clean and covered.

FL

Poor Drake & poor you. :( It must bother him a lot - I guess that's why he won't leave it alone. But it looks clean.

Since it's behind his pad, there must be a lot of pressure on the skin every time he moves. Does the bandage limit his range of motion or would there be some way to do that? Just so the skin can start to close up? Some kind of soft casted splint? Is the wound smaller than it first was?

What's being put on the wound? Maybe it's time to try some old fashioned treatments like manuka honey, or water therapy or domeboro or milk of magnesia (like fastdogs mentioned). But I don't know if the wound is that far along yet or too open. I guess I'd be seeking to try some aggresive wound healing therapy at this point since just wrapping it has kind of stalled.

Hang in there Drake - the solution is out there somewhere! :hope

Edited by FLT

That's gotta hurt! :( Poor guy. I hope your vets can come up with something new and more effective, from this list or elsewhere, to get this thing closed up. Am I seeing some little openings above the main wound, too? Towards the stop pad?

I hope that back wound finishes healing up, with maybe a little more air circulation, and hopefully no smacking, scratching, bumping or rubbing .... Such a challenge!

How does he seem to be feeling, in general? Is he eating happily? Playing at all?

Hugs to you all!

:grouphug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Hi Xan,

Yeah - those little wounds used to be open holes too - but just skin loss from lack of blood flow mostly, rather than deep tissue removal. At one point they were also all the way open, and about the size of a standard straw opening more or less. Now they are at least pretty well closed over, if not pretty.

Drake seems to be feeling great, in general. Remember he's had a 2-year history prior to this surgery with first favoring the paw once in a while, then limping a bit, then limping a lot, and for the last year he pretty much used the nickname "gimpy". So the fact that his paw hurts doesn't seem to phase him very much.

He is just the sweetest, most gentle and forgiving, and loving greyhound you've ever met (and I know - everyone has sweet hounds - but he is like greyhound bait! Everyone who meets him wants to take him home). He treats every interaction with the public (including at the vet's office) as an opportunity to be pet by new people, especially the ladies - he loves the ladies! He is endlessly patient with humans and his sister alike - even when he is obviously sore.

He does play - although we continue to try and limit his activity so that paw has a chance to keep making new tissue. We usually intercept and distract with petting and love. He's starting to run to us when we get home for love, instead of celebrating our arrival with stuffy tossing and pouncing because he's gotten used to us stopping that sort of activity. He jumps up and down from sofa and bed without a problem, and jumps into and out of the van without a wince or hesitation either. He's just getting good at taking the impact on his "good" front paw.

All of the vet techs know him on sight (not surprising I guess) but they practically fight over working with him. "OOOoooh, Drake!" they coo when we walk in. If we are waiting to be seen and they come out to call back another pet, they usually greet him and pet him before they go to find the other patient. Everyone who works with him comments about how sweet and loving he is, and that he is very cooperative and just stands there to let them do whatever they need to do. Even the techs who work with the non-surgical specialties come out to see him when they hear he is in the office. We no longer say he's going to the vet, but instead say he's going to "see his ladies".

He eats as well as always (which is very well indeed - he wants to look like a lab, LOL), does all his potty without a problem, and looks great - but for the paw. He cuddles up to me in bed, shows off for visitors, and is just a wonderful hound. I know his quality of life is great, other than that foot.

Thank you for asking.. it was my pleasure to share my love for Drake with you - he is a great joy to have around, and is still having great joy being around.

That's gotta hurt! :( Poor guy. I hope your vets can come up with something new and more effective, from this list or elsewhere, to get this thing closed up. Am I seeing some little openings above the main wound, too? Towards the stop pad?

I hope that back wound finishes healing up, with maybe a little more air circulation, and hopefully no smacking, scratching, bumping or rubbing .... Such a challenge!

How does he seem to be feeling, in general? Is he eating happily? Playing at all?

Hugs to you all!

:grouphug

Edited by FLT

Update: Just back from the morning's scheduled vet visit. I am not at all surprised that they chose to re-wrap the back leg after he left bloody drips all over the waiting area. That little hole at the bottom of the rear leg incision has been opening up anytime he moved since after we got home after Monday's appointment when they unwrapped that leg.

So now he's sporting dark blue bandages front and back again. (He did enjoy getting to lick his rear leg for those few days - although I didn't let him lick the hole itself much).

They were concerned that the little opening in his rear leg was going to be an opening for infection again (and rightfully so - I was worried about that too) but since we are already on Doxy, I'm sure he'll be okay from the few days of having it open. I had been cleaning it gently a couple of times a day, and putting a dab of neosorin on it once a day, unless he got it sandy from the yard or something that caused an extra cleaning and dollop.

Our next appointment is on Tuesday afternoon after Dr. Prostredny comes back from vacation (that's his first day back) and I know he's going to be slammed and busy and running late. Unfortunately the only opening they could give me was late enough that if he's running late I'm going to be super stressed because I need to get to my Microbiology class that day for sure - it's the review for the final exam (and is worth extra credit - so I really need to get there, I need all the points I can get).

In one week I leave for Ohio State with Drake. Our appointment is next Friday morning.. can't wait to meet Dr. Couto!

Cheers,

FL

Update from earlier today. I went out of the house to run errands, leaving Drake muzzled with a stool guard (no padding, since all of his wounds were bandaged) and when I got back about an hour later Drake was obviously upset. He was pacing, whining, whimpering, moving bed to bed trying to get comfortable, and bashing at his front paw with the muzzle.

I took the muzzle off and tried to get him to lie down and relax next to me on a dog bed but all he wanted to do was chew his foot. I couldn't stop him, so I re-muzzled him.

I didn't see any signs of swelling, bandage slippage, or any other issues beyond the usual - but Drake was telling me that *something* was NOT right. I gave him a couple of Tramadol and called the vet back. They asked if I could bring him back in, so I waved off my dental cleaning and put him back in the van and back to the vet.

They removed the front bandage, inspected the paw and wound without finding anything obvious, then rebandaged him. He seems better now, so I'm guessing that the bandage job they did this morning was tighter or looser in just the wrong spot. He still isn't *happy*, but he isn't bashing at it either. Poor guy was really frantic!!

Hopefully he'll still be okay once the Tramadol wears off.

I wonder if he's got some nerve endings growing back and they are starting to feel weird in there or something. Any thoughts?

I did make it to class tonight, but I wasn't sure I would for a while there!

Ah, I missed a few days.

I LOVED your description of Drake, his history, and your love for him just does shine through. He obviously does have good quality of life. :)

I bet you're right about the bandage just being not quite right. I hope he's resting alright tonight. Too bad that bit isn't staying closed in the back, but at least you kept it clean, and it will probably be fine in time.

I didn't get/forgot :P that you had an appointment with Dr. Couto! That's great. That will be a relief, to get him to lay his expert hands and eyes on Drake finally. So, Tuesday with Dr. P, and then Friday with Dr. C.. Here's hoping both areas will have turned a corner for the better before they see him, and they'll both be saying, "Oh, well, there's nothing much to look at here." :)

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Gratuitous update: Have made arrangements to leave Kaylee at "greyhound camp" with a drop off after I take my final exam in Microbiology on Wednesday night, so there isn't any reason we will be delayed getting on the road on Thursday after rush hour has died down. I figure I'll aim to leave the house around 10-ish, and count on taking 8 or 9 hours with stretch and potty breaks along the way to get to Columbus. Drake is a good traveler, but gets bored and whiny occasionally (far less often that I would riding in the back of a van!) A short stop usually sets him to rights.

We have our bandage change scheduled with Dr. Prostredny tomorrow on Tuesday (his first day back from vacation) so it will be interesting to see if he notices any change in Drake's paw-hole since he last saw him almost two weeks ago. I would stay and chat with him about some of the other options you guys have suggested, but they could only give me a 3:15pm appointment which cuts it TIGHT for me to get Drake seen, back out, and drop him at home in time to get to class on time. That's the review for the final that night, and it is worth extra credit (which trust me - I NEED) so I really would be loath to miss it.

I'll chat up Dr. Couto about it though, and Dr. Prostredny again after we are back.

I've started a thread in "off topic" to see if any greytalkers want to meet Drake (and me) while we are in town for our OSU trip. Drop me a PM! :-)

Cheers,

FL

Guest eaglflyt

I'm still praying for your boy and your family. I'm very hopeful for a good visit with Dr. Cuoto and some peace of mind, hopefully, soon.

Update from yesterday - was busy studying my rear off before and after the bandage change so I didn't make time to update then.

Yesterday I called up the vet's office in the morning and begged them to see if Dr. Prostredny had any cancellations that would allow me to get in there earlier than 3:15pm - I was sure that he'd be backed up because it was his first day back from almost 2 weeks off, and I NEED the extra credit to be gained by participating in the "Jeopardy Review" for the final exam in my Microbiology Class yesterday - so I didn't want to miss that if I could help it.

They gave me an 11:45am (yay!) and I took Drake in for his wound check and bandage change. Good thing we went in early, because they were already backed up. They took Drake back and then Dr. Prostredny got hung up with his prior patient (no problem - I had plenty of time now) so they dedicated a vet tech to petting drake for the entire half an hour delay. He was FINE with that!

Dr. P said that with a couple weeks of not seeing the front paw he can see some difference in the size of the wound, got a little smaller. He is still very worried that the dark tissue he sees building in the middle is tumor returning though, instead of healthy tissue. He also cannot figure out why the rear leg will NOT heal. The pin point hole that is draining in it is in a different area than before.

Anyway - he's looking forward to seeing what Dr. Couto says... and went out of his way to let me know he'll do whatever supportive care is needed after we get back. He's a good guy, and wants the best for Drake too.

Oh, and my team got second place in the review - so we got 3 bonus points (which I needed!).

Final in Microbiology tonight, then leave for OSU tomorrow after rush hour dies down.

Congrats on the bonus points!

Good luck on your final, and good luck on your visit to OSU. I think about your Drake every day, got all fingers crossed for him to heal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Update:

Microbiology Exam - 94%, final overall percentage in the class 89.72% - Luckily the professor stated in the syllabus that she rounds up at 89.5%. I got an A in the class, with exactly a single point (out of 905 total) to spare. Whew!!

Dropped Kaylee off at "greyhound camp" at 9pm - she'll be perfectly happy with them (although she'll miss me I'm sure) while we are gone.

Drake has been a nut since I got home without her - I know he knows it is ROAD TRIP time. He travels pretty well (unlike Kaylee - who does a lot of whining and pacing) so I expect he'll be fine for such a long drive. We'll take a few stretch breaks along the way.

The van is almost packed - I just need to put Drake's food bowl, his drugs, his IV bag foot covers, my purse, my pillow, and my laptop in the car - and away we go!

Next update to follow - from Columbus Ohio!