Onyx

jenn8

I am not very good at reading or writing this type of post but I want my boy remembered in the GT history books with all the rest of these wonderful hounds

I found out last Tuesday that Onyx had bone cancer. I took one look at the x-ray and knew I had to let him go.

He was my foster dog for one whole day and my pride and joy for the next 8 years.

He was always such a good boy. He was incredibly sweet. He was extremely shy and he was almost completely blind from PRA. I remember thinking to myself “Why him? He’s afraid of everything and now he has to live in the dark?” But then I looked on the positive side. Well, losing your eyesight is better than having some painful disease like cancer.

I did everything I could to make him happy. I never realized how much time I devoted to him until he was gone. I miss doing all those little things to help him around and keep him from bumping into stuff. And the times when he was afraid to take a step, he would wait for me to say “it’s okay”. I was so proud of him for being such a good sport while his eyesight got worse and worse every day.

Onyx fit right in with all the other big, black momma’s boys in that GreyTalk thread. I enjoyed reading every one of those stories. Couldn’t believe how many there were.

Today would have been his 10th birthday. I am so sad that he had to go.

I will never forget you, Onnie. I hope you got your drink of water.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenn, my heart goes out to you.

Follow the stars, Onyx.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ss556

I am so very sorry for your loss. Onyx was in the best of care with you, I'm sure. My heart aches for you as I understand your pain - the routine of caring for him is forever changed. Run free Onyx, where you can see again.

f_yellow:gh_run

I'm so sorry. :(

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What a good momma...I'm sure he's looking down on you right now with 20/20 vision and and thanking you for the best eight years of his life! Run free sweet Onyx.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

:f_red You both were blessed, that's for sure. I'm so sorry he had to leave,

God speed handsome boy, you fought a fight with dignity and with grace. Run now with all of the Angels and please continue to watch over your mom and all those who loved you.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so very sorry it was time for Onyx to leave you. :cry1 He was a beloved hound and knew he owned your heart. May you always feel his loving spirit with you. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Onyx.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry for the loss of your handsome Onyx.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest MnMDogs

Jenn, I am so sad to see this. You were such a good source of information and encouragement when Morky was diagnosed with PRA.

I'm so sorry :(

I'm so sorry Onyx had to leave you but he will always be in your heart.

:f_red:grouphug:brokenheart:gh_run2:brokenheart:grouphug:f_red

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting