Avery's Limp... Still Not Better.

Guest WYOwhy

Guest WYOwhy

Avery's limp was starting to look better the past couple days. This morning it was back with a vengeance. I've been thinking about what was different last night/this morning. And here is a thought: we ran out of my homemade pumpkin cookies last week right about the same time he started deramax. The limp started to go away. Last night I made him another batch of pumpkin cookies (same recipe) and let him lick clean the batter bowl. Today the limp is back. The more I think about it, the more I think that this particular limp first appeared about the same time I made the first batch of pumpkin cookies. Hmmmm. Is it possible that he is allergic to something in my cookies and it is causing him to limp?

Of course, that doesn't explain the biannual recurrence of his crazy undiagnosable rotating limp, but maybe he just always chooses to express discomfort by limping, and so each odd occurrence was truly a separate incidence? Is that even logical?

Saw the vet yesterday (with the cats) and told him that the limp was looking better (this was before it re-appeared today), he told me if there are still any lingering signs of a limp on Monday to bring Avery in for more x-rays. Should I request an allergy test at the same time?

Edited by WYOwhy

Hmmm. That's an interesting question. I wonder if there could be some link due to inflammation, maybe triggered by a food issue, and with the resulting fluid stiffening the joint(s).

I do have a dog with severe food issues and a chronic limp, but what makes her limp more severe is squirrels--not eaten but chased. :P

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest MAXNAV

My collie was very limpy when we got him. At first the vet thought it was because he was a senior and arthritic. However, after re-testing him, he came up positive for lyme disease. Over the short 5 years we had him, he'd limp (mostly back legs were stiff) off and on, and glucosamine really helped, and when needed, I had to give him deramaxx and he'd pop right back up like a pup.

Like Diane said, anything is possible, but I doubt that food intolerance would cause a limp.

I would go with the TBD panel to start ruling out.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest WYOwhy

Avery's limp is MUCH worse tonight. He's doing the tripod hop. And I can see swelling in the foot. This is the first time we have ever seen swelling with any of Avery's limps. Is there any chance swelling is a good sign?

We'll go to the vet first thing in the morning... is there anything I can do to ease his discomfort tonight? Can he have baby aspirin while he is on derramax? Does ice help dog foot swelling?

Poor baby, his paw is all puffy and sore.

Edited by WYOwhy

Ice could help, yes. Aspirin while on Deramaxx: NO. The Deramaxx is already an anti-inflammatory, and 2 together can make trouble.

Don't know that swelling is a *good* sign, but hopefully just means an infection. Fingers crossed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

NO.... ONLY DERAMAXX ,.... not mixed with aspirin, as the BOTH thin the blood, and and irritate the stomach. DERAMAXX ONLY, and, it WILL HELP!

YES, x-rays are in order, with both the limp and swelling ... always. That way, you can get to the bottom of what is causing this. After FOUR YEARS working for a vet in Central Florida, I NEVER heard of allergies causing a limp. MANY things CAN cause limping, but an x-ray is what you need to do.

Good Luck and keep us posted! Good thought from here! D

I'd vote "no" to allergies causing a limp.

There is no one time "allergy test" you can have your vet run. Your vet would (most likely!) refer you to a veterinary dermatologist for a series of tests just like those they run on humans where they inject allergans and see how the dog's skin reacts. These tests, according to my vet, may or may not be helpful. And even if/when you DO pin down the allergy, if you go with allergy shots, again, they may or may not work. It's tough in dogs! I have a friend with an English Bulldog who has monthly shots, and they do help!

I hope you get to the bottom of the limp!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest WYOwhy

Avery had a restless night last night; He completely destroyed his favorite bed with lots of nesting and wiggling (I'll have to go buy him a new one, this one is beyond repair). I know it was because he was uncomfortable. To add insult to injury, I made him skip his morning walk and play session as well as his breakfast. He was miffed with me. Even more miffed when the car-ride took him to the vet's office and their was a huge black lab in his favorite corner of the waiting room. He did something he has never done before, cocked his pee-shooter and aimed at the lab.

The vet is holding him hostage - for x-rays and further evaluation. No temperature to indicate rampant infection, but we haven't ruled that out as a cause. The swelling is definitely foot, ankle remains normal size. Possibly a broken toe. How could he have limped like this on a broken toe for a full week before any real swelling? How could the vet and I have missed a broken toe when we looked and felt everything last week? The vet keeps telling me that it doesn't look like osteosarcoma... I keep feeling panicked. I'll pup-date with x-ray results when I know them.

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about you and Avery. Paws crossed here for something simple and treatable.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Energy11

YES, paws crossed for you and Avery!

I think it is pretty funny, that he cocked his leg at the lab! I would BET my Staggerlee would do something like that.

Avery might be feeling badly, but he still had "something to say" to the lab :-) \

You guys are in our prayers!

Hugs! from all of us here, D :goodluck

paws crossed it's something simple! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest greytloves

Didn't Avery want to go the vet earlier this week when the kitties went?

He got his wish now didn't he.

:goodluck

Hope its an easy fix for him!

Guest greytexplorer
what makes her limp more severe is squirrels--not eaten but chased. :P

James Greybond: I'll have my squirrel-tini chased, not eaten.

:lol:rofl

There is no one time "allergy test" you can have your vet run.

Yes, there is. Some vets believe in it, some don't, but it does exist.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest WYOwhy

Ok, so x-rays came back clear. No broken bones. No signs of cancer. No signs of arthritis or any anything. Just swelling. We're treating as if it is either a sprain or an infection. Continuing with Deremaxx, starting some anti-biotic (can't remember which at the moment), and it's splinted clear up to his elbow. Avery is thirsty and tired. They had to sedate him to get on the splint. He's currently roaching on his newly destroyed bed. Bright blue casted leg hanging up in the air. What a smart boy, he knows to elevate his sore foot.

I just want him to be well. I hate to see him in pain and restricted from his walks and play sessions in the yard. I wish we knew for sure what is wrong. I wish it was all better. But I am thankful it is not the worst... whew.

So, do you think we can still go to Kanab next week? The vet said he'd like to see us and clear us before we try to go, if we try to go. Do you think it would be too hard on Avery?

Guest Greensleeves

Well, gout causes pain in the legs/feet in humans, and is greatly exacerbated by diet... so your hypothesis wasn't wholly without precedent. :)

So, do you think we can still go to Kanab next week? The vet said he'd like to see us and clear us before we try to go, if we try to go. Do you think it would be too hard on Avery?

Really depends on how fast he heals. If it's an infection and the antibiotics get right on that, then he'd probably be good to go. Hard to tell in advance, alas.

Glad no broken bones, tho!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest WYOwhy

Pup-date:

Avery and I are headed back to the vet tomorrow morning to see if things are better under the splint and to see if we are cleared for Kanab. :goodluck

Things feel better under the splint - there is a little more room in there which I imagine means the swelling has gone down. Avery is more playful again and more than a little annoyed that I won't let him romp around or take him for our usual walks. All of which has me hoping for the best.

Now, if only we can keep the splint on for one more day and one more night. Starting yesterday, he's bound and determined to lick and chew free. I can tell he is tired of being gimpy as he never did master the art of walking on that leg, he just drags the splint behind him in a very awkward fashion. Today, I used an old (but clean) soccer sock to cover the whole mess and slow down the destruction process.

Thanks all for your many thoughts, prayers, and warm wishes. I'll pup-date after our appointment tomorrow and then hopefully we'll be done with this episode.

:hope Hoping for a clean bill of health.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Hi Martha,

I am so sorry to hear about poor Avery. I didn't read all of the posts but did want to say that I have read that food intolerances/allergies can cause joint pain in humans (I have 2 kids with food issues so I read about them a lot). I don't think it is a main stream idea but it could be a possibility. You may want to stop the pumpkin cookies permanently just in case or after Avery is better and has been better for awhile, you could try them again to see if the limp starts again.

Hugs to you both,

Kim, Silver and Holly

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest WYOwhy

So much for my hopes for a clean bill of health.

After removing the slightly damaged splint, the vet was not pleased with the still tender and still slightly swollen foot. Even more distressing, some of the swelling moved from down by the toes to up by the ankle. The vet believes we are dealing with a bad/stubborn infection. More antibiotics - a different type - were added to our regiment of drugs (we're continuing deramaxx and the previous antibiotic). The foot was re-wrapped, this time without the splint and only 1/2 way to the elbow. Our next check-up is Friday afternoon. Which means, no Kanab for us. And still no long walks or good play sessions in the yard. We've been grounded. :(

Well, drat. I'm sorry he's not better yet :( .