Pooping Problems

Guest SandOSU98

Guest SandOSU98

Colby's having some symptoms that could be anything from anal gland problems to a blockage so I'm bringing him to the vet in 1/2 hour. He has not been finishing his food, is licking his butt a lot, and has been pooping more often than usual but not a lot is coming out (certainly not a full poop's worth). He did this all day yesterday but is otherwise acting his normal happy self, but this morning after the same routine happened and I noticed a tiny bit of blood and mucus in his stool, I am taking him in. He had a compressed rawhide 4 days ago which of course makes me worry it's a blockage. No vomiting, pacing, or whining though, and I don't *think* his stomach looks bloated (although I really don't know what that would look like). He is also on AmoxiClav for a UTI so it could be side effects.

My husband thinks I'm paranoid. I'm bringing him in ASAP but of course I'm thinking it's the worst. Cross your fingers for him please.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending good thoughts. Update when you get back.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytkidsmom

Better to be paranoid than to ignore early warning signs of a serious problem.

Hope the visit goes okay and that Colby gets better soon.

Guest SandOSU98

UPDATE--nothing serious, thank god! The vet had to express his anal glands. Poor baby was screaming like no other while she was doing it. She said they were very inflamed and one was clogged up quite a bit. He's on a bland diet until he poops normally. I guess all the sietary changes combined with the antibiotics were not good for his GI tract. She said no more olive oil or rawhides for the time being :blush :blush :blush Guess I got a little overzealous with the add-ins!

Guest SandOSU98

OMG!!! GROSS! Now I'm not exactly one of those prissy high maintenance women, but this is just nasty! Colby just pooped what looks like a mature tapeworm. 6-8 inches long, flat, clear (not particularly "worm" looking though). Called the vet and I guess the worm panel they do doesn't check for tapeworm?!?! Bringing the critter over to the vet now to see what it is. PS Colby is still having the same straining problem. Maybe this will explain why the poops have been so small. The worm is eating all his food!

We had a close encounter with tapes before, too. Really, really nasty. Did you dose him with something or did it voluntarily make an appearance on its own? Tapes are very segmented and it when they shed segments, it looks like grains of rice in their poop. Good luck! They are really easy to get rid of though.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest SandOSU98
We had a close encounter with tapes before, too. Really, really nasty. Did you dose him with something or did it voluntarily make an appearance on its own? Tapes are very segmented and it when they shed segments, it looks like grains of rice in their poop. Good luck! They are really easy to get rid of though.

Well, I was close... it's actually roundworm! I was told it didn't show up in the fecal they did Saturday because it probably wasn't in the life stage where it was shedding its eggs and thus detectable. I was given two doses of Pyrantel.

Guest SandOSU98

An update... Colby has been pooping up worms since getting the Pyrantel 5 days ago (which I guess he is supposed to do), but this evening he has started having diarrhea and vomiting. He had a fairly solid stool this morning. He's had this watery diarrhea 3 or 4 times this evening and vomited solid kibble once, but has since been throwing up the yellow foam. This has happened also about 3 or 4 times. All of this within the span of about 12 hours.

I started feeding him venison last night because I ran out of hamburger for the bland diet. I also, 2 days ago, had tried reincorporating some of his kibble back in (obviously I won't be doing that anymore)! He's had venison from the same deer before as have my husband and I with no problems. Anybody have any ideas why his tummy might be upset? He doesn't appear bloated and I have pressed on his "guts" up under his ribcage quite firmly and he is showing no signs of pain. HIs stomach is making gurgling noises. No pacing, is eating, but doesn't want to drink. Fairly normal behavior besides the vomiting and diarrhea. His gums are a little pale but I've been getting him to drink some water using a turkey baster. Maybe a little unconventional but I don't need him dehydrated on top of all this! So here it is 4:30am and while my husband is peacefully sleeping I am up with Colby to make sure he's doing okay. :angryfire :angryfire

Should I withhold his bland diet feeding this morning? I'm not sure if the venison is the problem but I'm not going to use it. Could this be a side effect of the Pyrantel.

I would call my vet but they don't have Sunday hours. Since it's only been 12 hours I am going to keep monitoring him and if it gets worse of course I will take him to the e-vet but otherwise I intend to see if it persists until Monday and take him in then. Oh and did I mention my law school finals start this week? Gotta love all the stress. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited to add: I am 99.9% certain he didn't eat anything weird. Bathroom doors and closed and the kitchen is babygated to block him out when we are gone. There is not evidence he has eaten anything while we are gone. He has never chewed anything up or eaten anything not fed to him by us in the time we've had him.

Edited by SandOSU98

Guest SandOSU98

Bumped for advice. No more vomiting so far but still diarrhea.

I'm a moron. It's Saturday. I'm bringing him to the vet. Prayers please.

no advice :(

sending prayers he's feeling better! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm only just reading this now. Oh dear! :( :( Please update when you can! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest mandm

It's normal to drink less on a bland diet vs kibble. The bland diet already contains water, whereas kibble is dehydrated, so the dog has to add water to rehydrate, ie, drink.

Guest SandOSU98

Thanks everybody for the good thoughts. I am a total hypochodriac when it comes to my dog and of course I always assume the worst. The nearly $500 vet visit was inconclusive :angry: He was dehydrated, and the values on the full blood panel were pretty reflective of that and nothing else. X-rays did not show gas indicative of a blockage. A test for Giarda (sp?) came back negative. The vet mentioned the Pyrantel might not have gotten other parasites that he might have (that didn't show up in the fecal), so she switched him over to Pancur instead. He also got one of those fluid injections that gives him a camel hump and an injection to help with his upset belly. She said it could potentially be just a very bad parasite infection, a more serious GI problem, or Addison's disease. :blink: Hoping it's just a parasite infection. If he doesn't at least stop vomiting by Monday, she wants him to have a sonogram. Ouch, that's a lot of $$$$. So I'm just crossing my fingers that's it's just a parasite problem He's only 3! It's unreal that he's having these issues. Poor baby. On the bright side, he hasn't vomited any bile since 9:30am. I'm hoping that he will at least feel good enough to want a little water tonight. No food until tomorrow.