X Rays How Are They Done

Since Lou is having neck pain more often I called the vet and suggested we do some xrays.

The office staff said it is Lou would have to be anestasized and would be dropped off in AM and picked up in PM.

Is this the norm??

I really don't think he would just lay there but I am curious as to how other vets do the procedure.

My take is that if he is going to be out why not do an MRI instead?

Expert opinion please.

x-ray is a good first step; MRI is mucho expensive.

Here, my vets don't anesthetize for x-rays unless the dog is absolutely total freakout unmanageable. I've heard lots of vets/people say that you have to anesthetize to get good films of certain areas; that has not been my experience. Even Zema, who is terrified of the vet, will hold still for all manner of x-rays.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

None of mine have ever needed to be anesthetized for x-rays, but they're all very tolerant and very well behaved at the vet.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest boondog

In my experience, it depends on what the vet needs to do and how the dog behaves. Some vets will sedate, but not completely anesthestize.

Guest TBSFlame
Since Lou is having neck pain more often I called the vet and suggested we do some xrays.

The office staff said it is Lou would have to be anestasized and would be dropped off in AM and picked up in PM.

Is this the norm??

I really don't think he would just lay there but I am curious as to how other vets do the procedure.

My take is that if he is going to be out why not do an MRI instead?

Expert opinion please.

I think it depends on what they are going to xray. If they are just doing a leg my vets do not anestasize them but if more involved rays are needed they do.

Guest ss556

I gave Alan 10 mgs. of valium before his xrays of his spine & legs, as per my vet. It relaxed him enough to let them do what they needed to and he wasn't totally out of it - he went home and slept. He needs xrays again soon and we'll do the same thing. He gets really upset at the vet's office, so this is necessary.

Guest KennelMom

They usually don't anesthetize for xrays...the only time they have is when they need to get a certain angle or position the dog in a way they won't tolerate. From what I remember, it's not a full anesthetization like with surgery...they can reverse it as soon as the xrays are done.

I'd opt for an xray before an MRI to see what you can see. A lot cheaper.

Guest speedoketo

It depends on the X-ray. It doesn't mean you have a misbehaved dog, it might mean that they're trying to keep your dog from experience pain from the positioning. If the vet knows it is going to hurt (s)he wants to minimize trauma and stress for your dog. It's not routine for ALL x-rays but I'm sure when its needed the dog is glad - for example if you're taking radiographs on a dog with a broken leg.

xray - $100 for a set

MRI - $1500

If you want an MRI done instead, have one scheduled instead.

I always used to drop Ryan off for xrays and they'd get to him when they had time to get to him and they'd try to get what they needed without any sedation, but I was always told it was a possibility.

If they want anything other than a laying on his side image of the neck, I can understand why they'd want to sedate him

Guest Greensleeves

Our vets will sometimes sedate dogs for X-rays, depending on the dog and the position they need. They were always sure they'd have to sedate Whistler to get films of his hips, since his spine was *so* bony, but he was always really cooperative. They never had a problem with Nelly (coonhound), since she had a *really* wide back and could just lie there all day, legs flopped open. :lol

Ours have always been sedated for x rays apart from Radar who was feeling too ill to move a muscle (quite literally).

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest LindsaySF

My vet tries it without the sedation first, but they will sedate if the dog won't stay still. What area needs to be x-rayed?

From what I remember, it's not a full anesthetization like with surgery...they can reverse it as soon as the xrays are done.

Correct. It is two injections.

You can ask if they are going to use the reversable sedation (DexDomitor/Antisedan), my Grey did very well with it.

Cervical xrays usually require a view where they need to be put on their backs. If the dog is relaxed and not tense the film will be better.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

It all depends on the dog and where they are x-raying and if there is any pain involved. For some x-rays Beau has had to be completely under and for others just twilite. For Polli, she was able to do some awake and some under general.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Maybe it depends on the vet clinic's policy and the particular dog, but both my vet and the radiologist that we have been to the last couple of times do x-rays on my greys with them fully awake. I would talk directly to your vet and see what they say.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LynnM

There are a ton of variables. It's true that the best films are done on an anesthetized dog. It's also true that many times, if the dog is cooperative, the vet can get the info he/she needs with pictures of the dog awake.

If it was my dog and it already had neck issues, I think I'd opt to sedate/anesthetize, so that I wasn't chancing him twisting something else in a struggle. To me, anesthesia and sedation is MUCH less scary than dealing with neck/disk issues!

Lynn