6 Months Ago Today, Cherry Left Us

Scottandjo

Hi all, first I just want to thank everyone for the greyt support you gave me during one of the most painful parts of my life thus far, 6 months ago today when Cherry could not fight the Osteo in her right front shoulder any more. She was not well prepared to function on just 1 good leg and 2 weak rear legs due to other issues mostly related to her 14+ years of age. She was released from her pain and constant visits to the vets, she hated these, early afternoon on 1 October, 2008. I still think of her almost daily and many of those thoughts still bring tears. The ability to cope with her passing has improved with time but I think the real cure lies in adopting again. To me this seems like the biggest compliment that we could pay to Cherry and would also hopefully lead to a great but different relationship with another greyhound.

Unfortunately, my DW does not share my wish to adopt another dog. I can see her point, she feels that for the first time in our lives, we can stay somewhere or do something at the last moment, without having to worry about someone covering care of the kids, dogs, or cats, we are now also empty nesters and no longer have cats. This is a great freedom, but in my opinion less important than the good times we would have at home enjoying a pet. At this point we still agree to disagree.

My son, who orginally adopted Cherry while still living with us, now lives on his own and had said he would adopt again this spring and I assumed he meant a greyhound. I thought that this would help me, figuring I could dog nap the greyhound a few times a week, but it was not meant to be, he adopted a Sheppard/Huskie mix from a shelter. A rescue dog, and the guy has a great personality, but I guess I have become a greyhound snob. I still want a greyhound in my life. He felt another breed would be better so as to not remind him, or me, of Cherry. He thought that this would be better for us and the dog.

I am tring to think of something that will allow me to regularly get a greyhound fix that would make everyone happy, but can't come up with anything. I thought about trying to help out at one of the greyhound placement organizations but they are all an hour or more away making that very time consuming. This is still the leading possibility. I thought about fostering and seeing how that would work with our newly discovered more free lifestyle, but DW thinks that this is the same as owning. Any ideas are welcomed. Anyway, this started out as a memory of Cherry and moved on to me. Sorry Cherry, I sure do miss you everyday and wish there was some way I could kiss you again.

Greyhoundless in Westford

I am sorry that you lost your precious pup. I remember when you posted about her earlier. I, too, cannot imagine being in a home without a greyhound and can understand your need. I do hope that GTers closer to you can help provide you with possible solutions in obtaining a regular "fix!" Best wishes to you and good luck. Please keep us posted on how you are able to accomplish your goal, which in my opinion is a good one. Your success might also be useful to others at some point in their lives, too.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

How about fostering. When you and DW want to go away, the foster goes back to the group or another foster family. You have your fix.

And depending on the group, it could be as short as 2 weeks or as long as a year or more (I think by then, most foster families fail).

But.....you'll still be helping another hound get a home. You'll get your fix. Your DW gets her freedom.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

How about doing some grey-sitting? That way you could get your greyhounds fix and still be free to travel. Perhaps once you get another grey in your house for a little while your wife might be more likely to want to adopt again.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Grey-sitting is great, and so is offering to take greys for walks while their owners are at work.

:grouphug :grouphug

Sounds like Cherry was a very loved hound.

Image removed. Not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 17.51 KB (17,929 bytes) file size.

Guest Flysmom

You and I seem to be in the same boat... Even though I just lost my love Fly, I would like to adopt another Greyhound again - not today, not tomorrow but somtimes down the road. My husband told me on Saturday 'If that will make you happy again, do it', the next day he told me that he does not want a new dog. Monday he told me he wants a Pug (a Pug!!!??? :puke ) and then he asks me why I cannot just love our Jack Russell... I love Jack, but it is not the same as it was with Fly and as I am sure it would be - whenever - with another Greyt...

Try the advice to Greyt sit if you get the chance or foster!! There are no other Greyhounds where we live and the next GPA is 3 1/2 hours away from us - so I am cut off.

I wish you luck!!

Maybe one day your DW will be ready to adopt again, or foster, or perhaps join one of the greyhound groups for an event or similar once or twice a month. Sometimes it takes time to get to that point. I delayed getting a dog at all for the "freedom" reasons, and finally realized that I was using my freedom so seldom .....

Sending hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I really appreciate everyone's kind words and suggestions. I am sure there is a solution to this situation where everyone can stay happy. I really need to get out and touch base with some of the rescue folks in the area to see what is possible. I have to believe that once my wife meets another special dog, she will change her tune. Thanks again.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...