Vaccinations Once A Year Or Every Three Years?

Guest RainShine

Guest RainShine

I'm trying to decide, due to differing opinions, whether to vaccinate once a year or every three years? Please advise. Thank you!

Edited by RainShine

Guest Scouts_mom

My understanding is that new protocols on vaccinations is every 3 years or maybe every year for 2 years than every there years. That is what my vet has switched to and that makes sense as they do build up in the body.

Guest Alexandra_W

If it is of interest, even here in Sweden it has switched to three years interval. At the beginning it was yearly, then some years ago it was change to every other year, and now its is every three year.

Excepted is rabies that is still yearly, and also Bordetella bronchiseptica/para influenza virus is still yearly. Most swedish dogs are not vaccinated against rabies though, Sweden is rabies free, and it is only if the dog should travel outside Sweden (some nordic countrys excluded) that it has to vaccinated against rabies. And of course every dog that is brought in to sweden.

Para influenza is a debated thing, as vaccinated dog often gets symptoms, and unvaccinated dogs seldom get any problems if they get infected, the manage to get well by them self over time. So some ppl vaccinate, some don't. I do not, as my dogs don't meet that much other dogs, and is at a low risk at catching para influenza.

Guest RVStarFire
The less vaccines you give the better, IMHO. Most of the traditional vets that I know of have switched to the 3 year protocol.

Once we adopted we haulted all vaccines , no flea meds ( and we live in Flea city FLORIDA LOL and never had issues) and seek the care from a holistic vet. Star is still with us on limited time but almost 15 yrs old. Has never had any health issues untill recent.

She is also fed a raw and cooked diet

Michele

Guest SoulsMom

My vet does the three year rabies and one year on the others. That said, Soul now only gets the rabies shot and we no longer do the others. Next year well run his titers to see where his immunity stands.

Soul has discoid lupus which is an autoimmune disorder, hence why he no longer gets vaccinated.

Three year rabies only because mandatory

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

The less vaccines you give the better, IMHO. Most of the traditional vets that I know of have switched to the 3 year protocol.

Once we adopted we haulted all vaccines , no flea meds ( and we live in Flea city FLORIDA LOL and never had issues) and seek the care from a holistic vet. Star is still with us on limited time but almost 15 yrs old. Has never had any health issues untill recent.

She is also fed a raw and cooked diet

Michele

You're required by law to vaccinate against rabies, and to not do so seems like a giant risk to me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I do not vaccinate once a year. I do the rabies every three years. I have my holistic vet do a titer which tells us how much vaccine is still in the system. The titer is done once a year. Kind of pricey but well worth it. If I had to board my dogs, the boarding kennel accepts the titer certification.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest OMGiluvgreys

We've had 3 yr rabies for a long time now. But not every place will let you get them.

Edited by OMGiluvgreys

3 years on most of them, including rabies, 1 year on bordatella (not strictly necessary, but a good idea if your dog is boarded or socializing with other dogs.)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I stopped when the dogs hit 10. The vet said that the balance of risk tips to the negative as they get older. In other words, the diseases that you vaccinate against are less likely to harm the dog than the vaccine itself.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest suzye

What my vet said is you can do every 3 years once there is documentation of the dog having the vaccine yearly for 3 years. Well, in Popo's case, I don't like that rule. He was adopted out and surely vaccinated in 2005, but I have no records. In 2008 he was vaccinated again and I adopted him. I have to get him 2 more yearly vaccines even though chances are he has had them 3 years in a row from his previous family. By the time he is 9 we can let them go longer -- or I hope when he is 8.

There was a thread a while ago talking about cancer and the 3-year vaccine. Link is:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...=rabies+vaccine

When that thread appeared, I did a bit of research on the differences between the 1 year and the three year rabies vaccine (they are different). I was concerned whether there was a chance that a vet would give a 3 year vaccine as a yearly one when they should be given the dog the yearly one. I pulled out the records on my grey and looked at all the stickers to check what was given and when it was given and everything looked OK to my novice eye. But, I don't have any medical/vaccine records prior to my dog entering the adoption program.

I do 3 year rabies

With the 3 year vaccinations would people get their pet checked on an annual basis. This was brought up at a discussion group. I am not talking about greyhound people but others in general

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Had this conversation with a board certified Internist 4 weeks ago and his recommendation was to:

1. Titer is you can afford it and only vaccinate when indicated

2. Vaccinate for distemper and hepatitis no more than every 3 years

3. Only vaccinate for Leptospirosis if there have been confirmed cases in your area

4. Follow the law in your area as far as rabies is concerned

He also stated that he has 3 house cats that have never been vaccinated. As an interesting side note, while still in Vet school, he diagnosed his first case of Lepto in a pocket Yorkie who had NEVER touched the ground outside of a house, "so unless an infected mouse peed in the dog's water bowl", the source of the Lepto was a mystery. (His words, not mine.)

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead