Queen Ecstasy Is Gone!

AndysMom

In July 2004, our former GPA/Louisville President drove out to St. Louis to meet a dog hauler who was bringing a load of dogs east from farms and tracks in Kansas. On the load were a number of "Golden Greys" and Kate Bressler convinced Linda to take "just one more dog" and to bring a little brindle "broodie" back to Louisville.

That little dog was CB Ectasy -- a daughter of Greyhound Hall of Famer Dutch Bahama; 1998 Naples Marathon finalist; finished in the money 30 out of 93 races; ran at Flagler, Mardi Gras, Naples-Ft. Myers and Southland race tracks; mother of at least 36 racing Greyhounds; grandmother of at least 7 pups; 9.5 years old and newly retired from the breeding farm.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=289520

Her Royal Highness, Queen Ectasy, stood all the way from St. Louis to Louisville. Apparently there was nothing suitable for her to lay on!

Linda delivered Ecstasy to the vet for spaying and removal of 22 teeth and called me to see if we would foster this little "add-on" dog. I said yes and our first foster was delivered a short time later. Truth be told, I think we flunked fostering within 30 minutes! As for Her Majesty, she took one look around and muttered, "This will do." A few months later, we broke down and made it official by adopting CB Ectasy, though we held off signing the papers until Christmas Day because she was my Christmas present that year.

The oldest in our pack, Ectasy (yes, that's the way it's spelled on her papers) ruled the roost, though always quietly and firmly, with great dignity. She knew she was royalty and that she was special. If she wanted something, she would come over and stare right into your eyes. Now, this could mean a lot of things . . . "I need to go out", "I want a biscuit", or, heaven forbid, "Somebody is laying on my bed!"

I tried to change her name to Stacy, but she wasn't having anything to do with that. I worried that she would get loose and I'd have to run up and down the street yelling, "Ecstasy!" And, then my neighbors would come out saying, "You buying or selling?" So, Ecstasy it was!

Losing half her teeth was never an impediment for Ecstasy. She could enjoy the biggest biscuit or pizzle with the best of them. It took her a little longer because she had to use her paws to maneuver things to a spot where upper and lower teeth could meet, but she always got the job done.

"X" was quite a trooper. She was never sick a day in the nearly 5 years she was with us. She was on no meds and appeared to have no ailments. Her blood work from her annual dentals came back picture perfect. She always had a hearty appetite, though she kept an eye on her figure. She didn't start to go white in the face until she was about 12.

Ecstasy was absolutely fearless. You could hit her in the head with a vacuum cleaner; she would not move. I've literally vacuumed UNDER her a dozen times. No reaction whatsoever. I watched her snatch a full-grown raccoon out of the mouth of the biggest dog in our back, put it on its back, put her foot on its chest and try to gut the raccoon. (We rescued the raccoon from X's semi-toothless grasp and he was fine, though he is wearing a toupee now! She came away with a mouth full of fur.)

Until recently, we hauled her around with us all over the country to Greyhound gatherings everywhere when we were vending as GreyhoundMagnets.com. She never was a bit of trouble, though once she peed in a hotel room 30 seconds after we checked in. I learned on that trip the little darling preferred to pee in threes. If you rushed her and didn't let her pee three times, you could count on her going on the carpet when she got inside.

She learned quickly to expect a treat every time she came in from outside. (Is "demand" too strong a word?) She rarely made a sound and tolerated the parade of dogs who came through our doors over the last five years. Yeah, she peed on the carpet from time to time, but it was never a huge deal. Otherwise, she was an exceptionally "easy" dog.

Last year, we realized X was getting really frail and we stopped taking her on the road with us. She never liked being left behind and sometimes we had to sneak the other dogs out of the house. She'd go to the front door and would refuse to move unless she got to go too. A few months ago, we couldn't get out the door without her to go to a Meet & Greet, so she came along with us. When she got there, she laid down and did her "coma dog" impression until the treats came out.

Ecstasy was a beautiful and sweet old soul! I loved her with all my heart. But, lately, it had become a tremendous challenge to maintain her weight and to get her to eat at all. For a long time, we were able to keep her weight steady (though she'd lost 10 pounds and was down to only 55) by supplementing her diet with Ensure liquid. For several months, she really enjoyed her evening "milkshake" and would come over and STARE at me if I forgot to give it to her. I started cooking for her, making ground beef and rice or "homemade dog food" from chicken, rice and vegetables. For a while, that worked too. But then, the last couple of weeks, it got harder and harder to get her to eat, though she always wanted to eat dog biscuits and treats.

On February 20, 2009, we celebrated Ecstasy's fourteenth birthday. She had a cake and everything.

This past week, Miss X really seemed to lose her "spark". She was moving slower and slower. She started turning down treats and refusing to eat altogether. She acted like she was just too tired to get up and move around. I kept thinking of a friend of mine who died several years ago at age 97. She'd say, "Lois, I'm just so tired. I'm tired of living."

I was waiting for X to "give me a sign" that she was ready to go. I worried that we would wait too long and she'd be in pain. I worried that the next time she stumbled while standing up to eat she might break a leg and suffer. I worried that she was just being stoic and that I wasn't recognizing the signs of pain.

Someone once said, "I'd rather let them go a day too early than a day too late." I didn't want to make that mistake.

Yesterday, we took X for a tiny walk (about 20 yards from the house); she acted really tired and we came back. She balked about coming back in the house, but I think it still tuckered her out. Earlier in the day, I'd offered her a chicken foot, which she had always loved. She mouthed it for a few minutes and then dropped it in front of Tribute. This morning, she wouldn't eat at all.

So, today, after church, Mike and I took CB Ectasy for her last ride. We went to Shively and Dr. Joyce got us in right away. We were only there about 15 minutes before they called us back. Dr. Joyce believed her liver was failing, felt that she was extremely frail and agreed that it was time to let her go.

I was with my Baby Girl when she slipped off this mortal coil. She knows how deeply and passionately I loved her. She also knows how profoundly she will be missed. There is a hole in my heart today, but I know she is not suffering and that she's running free at the Rainbow Bridge tonight.

CB Ectasy

February 20, 1995 - March 8, 2009

R.I.P.

Greyhound_CB_Ectasy-_2big.jpg

Edited by AndysMom

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a Royal Mothers Day at the Bridge today. Our condolences for the loss of your precious girl. She is part of the castle of greatness now. Another bright star in to light the night sky and your heart.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I'm so sorry for your loss. I too just fell a little bit in love with your little girl. I hope she'll get everything in shape right away at the bridge. Godspeed Ecstasy! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Oh Lois, I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your lovely Queen. Godspeed sweetheart, you were obviously loved a lot.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so very sorry. :(

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Bless her heart...what a girl. I'm very sorry.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I am so sorry. Rest in peace, sweet Ecstasy. You were well-loved.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

My deepest condolences to you and your DH. :grouphug Your Queen will live on forever in your hearts, never to be forgotten. She reminds me so much of lil' Phoenix. :heart Godspeed, sweet Ectasy... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest greytbookert

I'm so sorry for your loss! X sounds like a very special girl. I hope the good memories will help heal the hole in your heart.

run free pretty girl!