Suddenly *very* Scared To Eat

Our 12 year old Buddy stopped eating Friday night. He won't come near his bowl. We thought maybe his name tag hit his bowl and made a loud noise and it scared him (he doesn't like loud or odd noises). He'd been getting a little weird about eating over the past few months...gotta hold the bowl for him for a few bites, then he won't eat any more until you put the bowl on the floor, etc. so we didn't think too much of it.

In desperation yesterday after he ran away scared from breakfast and lunch, we went to Arby's to pick up his all-time favorite - roast beef sandwiches. Wouldn't eat it out of the bowl. He grabbed a piece of it out of my hand and ran off quickly to eat it, but that's all he'd do. Put him in a room alone with his food bowl with the sandwich in it and gated the others out. He was in there for over an hour, no one bothering him or even looking in on him, and he just stayed in his bed.

Today we realized maybe it was his bowl that was scaring him, so we put his kibble plus more Arby's on one of our plates - nada. We tried sprinkling his dry kibble on the floor as he does enjoy scavenging like that, no luck. We tried his Buster cube, which he adores - won't go near it. So when it got to lunch time, we cooked up some ground beef and mixed it up with Minute Rice - wouldn't eat it off of the human plate, but he'd eat it out of my hand, though very tentatively and skittish-ly - he'd take a bite and run off, and then slink back and grab another bite.

Tonight we heated up more beef and rice and put it on a paper plate. At first he'd only take it from my hand, but then he did take it off of the plate - but again, in panicked bites.

So here's our underweight 12 year old, too scared to eat, and we don't know how, why, or what we can do to reassure him it's okay. Any advice?

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Poor pupper... :( What you're doing is fine. Sometimes, greys can just be quirky. No particular reason for a change. Maybe try some stinky food? Sardines, jack mac or tuna added as a topper. Keep him separated and give him plenty of time to find his appetite. Sending :chow thoughts to your precious boy. :)

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Has he had a good exam with blood work lately? It seems like he might be ill or becoming ill. Low thyroid levels can make them act scared like that. I hope it's something simple. :goodluck

Marcia

Has he had a good exam with blood work lately? It seems like he might be ill or becoming ill. Low thyroid levels can make them act scared like that. I hope it's something simple. :goodluck

Marcia

He was finicky about a month ago - tho' not acting scared - just not wanting to eat. We took him in then because we were leaving for a few days, and didn't want the petsitter to struggle with him if something was wrong. They did a complete blood panel and it was fine. They put him on antibiotics because he gums were red and they thought he had an infection and something was hurting him, and that's why he wasn't eating.

We're supposed to get his teeth cleaned, was going to make the appointment for this week, but if he's acting funny, I dunno if we should.

Thanks for the tips. I have some tuna we can try. And yes, it works better if we keep the other "vultures" away! Didn't know about thyroid affecting their bravado; I'll check into that as well.

Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

I would definitely get him checked out by your Vet as that is very strange indeed....sounds to me like something is causing him pain either when he is eating or he associates it with eating....hope you can get to the bottom of it quickly.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest MAXNAV

Marcia

He was finicky about a month ago - tho' not acting scared - just not wanting to eat. We took him in then because we were leaving for a few days, and didn't want the petsitter to struggle with him if something was wrong. They did a complete blood panel and it was fine. They put him on antibiotics because he gums were red and they thought he had an infection and something was hurting him, and that's why he wasn't eating.

We're supposed to get his teeth cleaned, was going to make the appointment for this week, but if he's acting funny, I dunno if we should.

Thanks for the tips. I have some tuna we can try. And yes, it works better if we keep the other "vultures" away! Didn't know about thyroid affecting their bravado; I'll check into that as well.

I went through similar stuff with my collie who had thyroid issues. After bw and ultrasounds, we found out that he was really sick. I personally feel you should not put him under to get his teeth cleaned. See if he perks up and starts eating soon. My vet would not put my collie under for a dental after the age of 10. He said it was too risky.

We went through this with our senior boy. One thing he would eat was canned tripe. Another was Honest Kitchen.

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Until you can get his teeth checked, might try giving him semiliquid food that he can lap up, no chewing required.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with Burpdog - go ahead with the dental. It's possible that he has mouth pain that's causing this, and a dental will solve that.

Good luck, Sara!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I think he needs to have his teeth and gums tended to. We had a 11 year old lady greyhound with an abscessed tooth. It had to come out. She had heart problems and was on heart meds and lasix yet she did just fine.

Red gums are a big problem; they probably hurt and can become a source of bad infection. If they use the right anesthesia during the dental he should be fine. His good blood work is encouraging!

Marcia

Guest greytbookert

I would agree with the advice given here regarding having his teeth checked. When Mama Ro first came to us, she was terrified of eating and it all came down to her teeth. Once that issue had been solved, she started eating like there was nothing better on earth! Gosh, that little girlie could eat! Sending many prayers that whatever issues your boy is having are cleared up quickly!

Edited by greytbookert

We stopped at the vet tonight after work and explained the situation. They are going to squeeze him in tomorrow for a dental, but are going to re-run his bloodwork beforehand to make sure nothing has cropped up since last month.

Please keep your fingers crossed for him! He's my baby boy (we adopted him at 9 weeks) and I can't bear the thought of something happening to him. :(

Guest missecho

I had a Sheltie that did the same thing. She had a severe gum infection which led to a heart infection. Sad to say, she passed away shortly afterwards.

Haven't heard a peep, so that's supposed to be good news. Pick up time is a few minutes from now....

He's doing well! His bloodwork was excellent too. They pulled one of his canines and a couple of pre-molars. I guess he had an abscess on the canine tooth, so he must have been in pain. He'll be on antibiotics and painkillers for a little while.

Thanks for all of your prayers! Hoepfully this will solve the food thing.