Please Pray For Polli

Polli has been having rear end weakness for a long time. When she was diagnosed with OS and we opted to amp, I remember thinking, how will she be able to handle this with her back end. The vet said she would compensate and she did, until recently.

I don't know how much this has to do with anything, but this seemed to have escalated after 2 days of running at the school yard. She is not in the same shape she had been because we needed to stop the walks due to her not being able to walk on cement. Every once in a while we would take her to a long strip of grass by a golf course so she could walk with her pack. Otherwise, she would just go out back and sometimes she would run in the back.

2 weeks ago, when we were getting ready to get leashes on them, Polli surprised us all and took off across the whole length of the field.

Polli has been getting progressively worse for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday, she was unable to stand by herself. We brought her in to the vet, she got a shot of cordisone. She has not moved since she got home at 12 noon yesterday except when we coaxed her to stand up, which was shaky at best. We carried her down the stairs, out to the back and she did her business. She does seem to get slightly better when she walks it off but she is ready to fall at any minute.

Tomorrow she has a acupunture appointment. My vet said that if she is no better from the cordisone shot by tomorrow we can do the depo BUT if that does not work, then we can not use any NSAIDs for pain for several weeks. I am currently giving her 100 mg of tramadol every 8 hours and 50mg of deramaxx once a day.

This is not good. I am so afraid we are going to lose her. She is misreable. I am scared. Even Dh is crying. The silence in the house is deafening. Literally.

If anyone can think of something that either we or the vets have missed here, please let me know. Is chiropractic an option for LS dogs?

Otherwise, please pray that my sweet girl will be able to regain the use of her back legs and spend much more time where she is very loved.

Time is running out.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending everyone at your end a gentle hug ....

I am so sorry that Polli isn't doing well at the moment - we are all pulling for her!

I hope her acupunture appointment will help her.

It must be tearing your heart out to see her in such pain.

:hope:candle:hope

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Oh Robin...I am so sorry. I wish I had a solution for you. hoping the acupuncture helps..can the tramadol be making her sleepy. also, what about the cortisone shot? When Flex got one last week, he was very sleepy..I wasn't sure if it was from that or from his illness. I am praying for her and your family. you have all been through enough. donna

Guest Hoolyghans

I don't know what LS is and I have no experience in this area but off the top of my head, I was wondering if aqua-therapy might be useful?

Help her build her muscles with the water taking the pressure off & supporting her weight?

Just throwing it out there.

I feel so badly for you guys.

Guest greyt2love

Oh, Robin, you have beenthrough so much lately! I hope something kicks in and works for Polli, and quickly before all of you have had too much pain. Hugs to all of you ! :grouphug

Deb

Guest greyscot

Sorry I have no advice. I hope the acupuncture helps - it did for my non grey Shirley when her joints got stiff as she aged. I know this is different for Polli. :grouphug to you and your family.

Robin, I was told by the vet who is doing Buddy's acupuncture that chiropractic *may* be an option, but not until the acupuncture calms things down....manipulating the spine while the dog is in the throes of an LS "attack" could do more harm than good.

I hope she improves.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Don't know if it helps, but when my husband gets cortisone shots in his knees, it seems to feel worse before it feels better and he feels more stiff for a couple days after the injection. Our thoughts are with you and yours - you have been through so much lately.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Robin, I was told by the vet who is doing Buddy's acupuncture that chiropractic *may* be an option, but not until the acupuncture calms things down....manipulating the spine while the dog is in the throes of an LS "attack" could do more harm than good.

I hope she improves.

Thanks, That's what I was wondering. I am always very hesitant about chiropratic for the dogs.

Does any one hav Suzanne Stacks email address that you could PM me?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I was so hoping to jump on this forum today and see that Polli was feeling better. I have been following your posts

about Beau and Polli and cannot imagine what you and your DH must be feeling. Sending prayers for both of your

babies. They have the sweetest faces.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest greybookends

I know what your going through. You will know what needs to be done. It's so difficult watching them get old and fail. Love her as much as you can.

:grouphug

PMed you Dr. Stack's email in case you didn't have it yet.

Hope very much that Polli is just worn out from her vet's appointment & shot. I had Joseph at the vet the other day for nothing nearly as interesting, and young vigorous boy was out like a light for the next 12 hours.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Polli.

:hope:hope:hope

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I am always leary of chiro for dogs, too. When others were recommending it for Vinnie, something in my head kept saying, no. He ended up with something that should not have been manipulated.

I am hoping the accupuncture will give Polli the much needed stamina she needs to get up and down.

Sending hugs for you all,

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.