There's Something Very Wrong With Trap

Guest loveagrey

Guest loveagrey

We are taking him to the vet this morning, but earlier - man, did he scare me.

What do you make of these:

inability to stand unaided

head tilted to one side

body leaning

one back leg not supporting body

one eye sort of looking in the wrong direction

He was on his couch, as usual, and all of a sudden I heard all this thrashing around. He was upside down on the end table squirming trying to get off. Once he did and I got to him, he almost collapsed in my arms. His head was tilted to once side and he couldn't stand up without being held up. We laid him down and about 10 minutes later he got up, turned around and laid on his other side.

We finally got him up and moving around, although he was still pretty shaky and leaning.

He had some water and some breakfast and managed to go outside for a poop.

This all occurred within about an hour.

Any thoughts?

I though I was going to lose him this morning.

Seizure or stroke or vestibular syndrome. Or a combination of those. Sending hugs and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest loveagrey

HOw long does an episode with vestibular disease last? I looked it up and they talked about a GSD who had it, and was back to normal within 4 days. Trap is more or less moving around ok now, so I wonder if it isn't something else.

Guest tricolorhounds

That sounds like what happened with Copper just over a month ago... Link

EVet said Copper's was a seizure. Keeping :goodluck He's been fine since then.

:grouphug for Trap

Edited by tricolorhounds

Whatever it was, let's hope it's of short duration (like it's over and done) and Trap recovers with no after affects. Prayers and hugs. Please update after visit to the Vet.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest KennelMom

Grandpa had a bout with vestibular syndrome and it 36 hours or so IIRC (there may be an old post of mine in H&M about it), with the worst of it over within a 6 or so hours.

Prayers for your boy :hope :hope

Edited by KennelMom

Guest loveagrey

Well we're home and Trap has been out giving the squirrels a good barking. He's completely back to normal, although maybe a little tired. Hard to tell though as he's the king of laziness.

From my description of his behaviour the vet agrees that it was likely a small seizure. The head tilting and disorientation were the key factors. Since there was no urination, defecation or drooling, she thinks it was pretty small. Thankfully there was no neurological damage as she gave him a very thorough going over to test him and he did perfectly.

She also suggested keeping a diary if it happens again - time, length, behaviours. She was very helpful as we obviously had a lot of questions.

For now I'm just going to stay home and keep an eye on him. Even though he seems perfectly fine, the worry wart in me wants to make sure. I'd feel horrible if something happened and he was all alone. The vet told us that repeated or cluster seizures would indicate something significant so I just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks everyone for your posts and concerns. This is the first time we've had to bring Trap to the vet for anything other than regular check ups. After losing Chorney in July, well........ the worst started running through my head.

Thanks again!

Guest loveagrey

For those who have dogs who have suffered from seizures:

Is it normal for dog to have one and then never have another? Or if they've had one can you expect more? Even if they are 6-12 months apart?

Guest loveagrey
That sounds like what happened with Copper just over a month ago... Link

EVet said Copper's was a seizure. Keeping :goodluck He's been fine since then.

:grouphug for Trap

Yup - that's sounds exactly like Trap, minus the panting.

For those who have dogs who have suffered from seizures:

Is it normal for dog to have one and then never have another? Or if they've had one can you expect more? Even if they are 6-12 months apart

It's possible. My DDs Schip had one or two then none.

I know one grey who will have a seizure from fish oil.

There are so many things that can cause a seizure! Make sure you write in the diary any supplements, topical treatments, heartworm pills, etc. kind of dog food, etc. Spraying the lawn or inside. Everything you can think of!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Gosh, how very scary for you! :ohno I'm glad he's ok. Sending lots of hugs!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Let's hope this was just an isolated incident! :goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

No advice, just :goodluck and :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest loveagrey

I just spoke to the vet about his bloodwork.

His platelets were a little low, so she's going to send to the lab to double check their results. I think she said his proteins were a little on the high side, so we're going to do a urine test to rule out anything with his kidneys.

So far so good for today. Nothing to report. He seems like the same old Trap we love so much!