Help - New Dog, Diarrhea Everywhere

Hi All,

Adopted my first grey two days ago. Stupid me, I did a lot of research, but missed this one. I switched the dog from his food at the rescue to Castor & Pollux Natural Ultra Mix Adult. You can check out their website at www.castorpolluxpet.com. I didn't transition from old food to new. The woman at the rescue should have told me this as well. Now he's pooping everywhere. He's got major diarrhea. It's pretty much just liquid spraying out. I called the woman from the rescue and she told me to give him 2 tbs of Pepto Bysmal after he poops and put him on a bland chicken and rice diet for a few days. Does this sound right? I feel so badly. I totally messed up on the food thing, but that's here-say at this point. Please help. I don't really know anyone to turn to with a greyhound besides the woman from the shelter. I found out today he was on Purina High Protein food. Should I wean him back onto that from the chicken & rice? What to do.

Thanks,

Tony

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest SoulsMom

I would fast him for 12-24hrs to let his tummy settle, then start him on diet of boiled chicken and rice for 24hrs. Then slowly start adding in the kibble you want to use. I don't think the kibble you use matters as much as doing the transistion slowly. Aside from an illness, that is usually the cause of tummy upset-a sudden change in their diet.

Trust me, I know all about the bland diet and pudding poo thing after Soul's recent illness :rolleyes:

Edited by SoulsMom

I would start by fasting him for a day, until the D stops. (Water but no food at all.) He needs a chance for his gut to settle down. Don't worry, he's not going to keel over (it'll be harder on you than him!). Then you can figure out the next step.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Scouts_mom

Imodium works as well as Pepto Bismal and I find easier to get the pills down their throats. Just give the weight appropriate amount. Then no food at all for 24 hours, but have plenty of water available. This rests their system. Then introduce white rice and bland chicken for at least a day, then mix it with it with kibble. I would use the kibble he is used to. Then in a few days, you can start to mix the new food with the old kibble.

I am not familiar with Castor & Pollux food, but I do know that some high end natural food is just too rich for some greys and causes the big D. Maybe someone else knows more about this food.

No food* for 24 hours. Allow free access to water, tho.

*small biscuit or two is OK, but no meals.

Give child's dose of pepto bismol twice a day, starting now. Keep giving it for 5 days. I use the NON-chewable pills (sometimes they're called gelcaps) instead of liquid; most dogs will eat them if you coat well with peanutbutter or cream cheese or liver sausage .....

After 24 hours -- noon tomorrow, or afternoon if you feed in the afternoon, start back on a small meal of boiled rice and chicken or defatted beef; maybe 3/4 cup cooked rice and 1/2 cup meat. Next meal, same thing. If all is well -- that is, no diarrhea yet -- double quantities for the next couple meals. Then gradually start adding back the kibble.

He might not poop for a day or two. That's OK, he's getting it all out now.

Nothing wrong with what you did -- most dogs get along decently with most foods. Hard to say whether the food doesn't agree with him, he's nervous, or ..... Do you know if the rescue wormed him?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

P.S. If you decide to use immodium instead of pepto bismol, DON'T give it for 5 days. Just today and maybe tomorrow if he's still squirting. I like pepto bismol better because it just coats things; immodium is a different drug and can cause problems in some cases.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A lot of greys have trouble with a lot of foods, FYI -- take a look in the archives of the "Food and Dietary Discussion" section to read all about it. And a lot of greys (obviously not all) seem to do well on Purina Pro Plan (I personally would only feed [and do feed] the Pro Plan Selects version). You may have to do some switching around before you find a food that gives your dog good poops -- I think many if not all of us have been through this! So don't get panicky if the Castor and Pollux ends up not giving you the results you want, even after you transition more slowly.

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest SoulsMom

Give child's dose of pepto bismol twice a day, starting now. Keep giving it for 5 days. I use the NON-chewable pills (sometimes they're called gelcaps) instead of liquid; most dogs will eat them if you coat well with peanutbutter or cream cheese or liver sausage .....

After 24 hours -- noon tomorrow, or afternoon if you feed in the afternoon, start back on a small meal of boiled rice and chicken or defatted beef; maybe 3/4 cup cooked rice and 1/2 cup meat. Next meal, same thing. If all is well -- that is, no diarrhea yet -- double quantities for the next couple meals. Then gradually start adding back the kibble.

Nothing wrong with what you did -- most dogs get along decently with most foods. Hard to say whether the food doesn't agree with him, he's nervous, or ..... Do you know if the rescue wormed him?[/

ETA: I just read he came straight from the track. I agree, it would probably be a good idea to ask if he's been dewormed

I agree, you didn't do anything wrong. My JRT/Whippet mix has a cast iron stomach and can handle any sudden switch. Some dogs just can't, no way to know

Edited by SoulsMom

If you are going to fast your dog for a day as some have suggested, I would suggest that you give a few "regular dog biscuits" (nothing fancy or flavored just regular "milkbone type") to help settle his stomach a touch. This is similar to crackers for people when their stomachs are unsettled.

The diarrhea could also be caused by your greyhound being nervous (although the food switch is probably the primary culprit). I've fostered quite a few greyhounds and it's pretty common that the first couple days they might have diarrhea/loose stools.

You also might want to consider using hamburger and rice for the "bland diet" rather than chicken and rice -- I mention this because my greyhounds have had sensitivity to chicken.

yes apparently diarrhea is very common in the first few days. Sandy had it and I like you didn't gradually change her food as she was fed some king of casserole concoctions at her kennels! She got over it after a couple of days, please don't be so hard on yourself, I am sure you are doing a great job!

Guest cynsamjar1

When we first got our grey I came home to it all over the walls! And that was with giving him the same exact food as the kennel. One Immodium and two days later it seemed to settle. So I know what your feeling.

Nothing wrong with what you did -- most dogs get along decently with most foods. Hard to say whether the food doesn't agree with him, he's nervous, or ..... Do you know if the rescue wormed him?

Exactly what she said... :nod The only difference is that I prefer to use Immodium to Pepto Bismol.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest myjazzy

Exactly what she said... :nod The only difference is that I prefer to use Immodium to Pepto Bismol.

I agree. The only thing I do differently is that the first meal I give them after fasting them for a day, is 2 cups of cooked white rice, after that I add the cooked chicken or beef. Then just like everyone else said. It would also be good to get a stool sample to drop off at the vet to check for worms. If you have not seen the vet with him yet, it might be a good time to take him for his first visit.

Sometimes it's not only the food, but also the stress of going into a home. Remember, his world just got turned upside down.

I also prefer Immodium over pepto. One adult dose and a childs dose the next time usually takes care of things a lot faster than pepto, but either will help.

Sorry this happened. Many times when you move a dog from lower grade kibble to super premium they will get the runs. I personally have never had much luck with super premium foods. They just seem too rich for my guys -- and they are probably too rich for yours right now.

This is what I would do -- and this is just totally my non scientific opinion but what I'd do in your situation. Fast him like Batmom says, then start adding back in kibble, but I'd go buy a small bag of purina dog chow or pedigree and start him back with that. Then if everything starts to come out OK start switching over to the high end food.

Right now he is sort of like a guy that has beem eating ramen noodles and he just got fed a a big plate of lobster. His body is used to the grains and meat and bone meal.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks all. My boy is not feeling so great. He's sleeping lots and pretty lethargic. Tomorrow morning I'll start him on the chicken with rice.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

You could also try Metamucil, I give one capsule. You can open the capsule and mix it in with the chicken & rice. As far as kibble I use ProPlan for Sensitive Skin & Stomach. This is the original formula, has not changed and according to the ProPlan representitive they don't plan on changing it. My girls do very well on it. Hope your boy feels better soon :)

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Since he's brand new, I wouldn't assume the sleeping and lethargy necessarily means he's not feeling well, tummy-wise. He may just be settling down as he gets used to being in your place. Or it may be a response to the stress of all the newness. It's so hard to tell when you don't yet know what is normal behavior for him in a home. Anyway, ALL greyhounds sleep a lot!

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest SoulsMom
Thanks all. My boy is not feeling so great. He's sleeping lots and pretty lethargic. Tomorrow morning I'll start him on the chicken with rice.

Soul is not yet six, and he does this constantly. That's why they're called 45mph couch potatoes :blush

One sure sign for me that Soul does not feel well in his tummy is that he's restless, cannot get comfortable, and is arching his back in a weird way. Also, his tummy gurgles pretty loudly.

(Little background: Soul has had tummy issues since September, one resulting in him having to be hospitalized. I've gotten SO familier with the signs that he's feeling crappy again :( )

Edited by SoulsMom

Is he drinking water? Depending on the severity and duration of the diarrhea, dehydration can become a problem - for which lethargy is a primary symptom. Hope you can get this resolved soon. FWIW: I like Pepto or the generic form (Kaopectate is the same thing). Just don't be alarmed when/if the stools turn a very dark color. Good luck!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest IrskasMom

How are things now ?? To early to tell . First of all Welcome and to GT. You have so many People helping you and trust me,

you need it . Metamucil is great for Diarrhea. Everyone here already said what you need to do. Take a deep Breath and

tomorrow will look different. Your Boy is stressed with all the New surrounding.It all seems a little Overwhelming ,it will get

better.

Edited by IrskasMom

Oh dear! I can hardly wait to see you post in cute and funny!! I hope he feels better tomorrow poor boy.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest greytkidsmom

Don't forget to have him checked for worms. We had to de-worm several times after our first girl came home. She had a total of 5 different parasites. What works for one may not work for them all.

I promise, it all gets better. Just be patient.

Guest lynne893
I would fast him for 12-24hrs to let his tummy settle, then start him on diet of boiled chicken and rice for 24hrs. Then slowly start adding in the kibble you want to use. I don't think the kibble you use matters as much as doing the transistion slowly. Aside from an illness, that is usually the cause of tummy upset-a sudden change in their diet.

Trust me, I know all about the bland diet and pudding poo thing after Soul's recent illness :rolleyes:

Agreed with all of that. But also, can you take him in to the vet for a look-over?

with all due respect, i don't think you're describing anything that is abnormal for a newly adopted greyhound. everybody's given really good advice; i'd like to add my own. relax :). it's only been a few days and it takes a while for things to settle.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.