Biopsy Monday

Guest bigorangedog

Guest jerrybird

Perhaps your vet meant to say fentanyl patch? IMHO, I too would forego the biopsy, keep ahead of the pain and enjoy the days that you have now. I can feel that your heart is breaking but oftentimes, you have to let the one you love go on ahead.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a vet and you can't amputate why would you do a bone biopsy? This is extremely excrutiating for the dog. It could break due to this. What's to gain from a biopsy besides putting your grey through more pain. I'm sorry but I see this differently than some. Why do it? Pain control should be the only thing you are concerned with. Get ahead of the pain. You already have the answer from the fine needle aspirate and xray.

Agree totally. :( I'm so very sorry you're having to deal with this. Do keep on top of the pain and cherish every moment you have with your sweet boy. :bighug

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

PS I'm wondering if the "granulomatous inflammation" is a form of sarcoidosis in the hip. (I Googled "granulomatous inflammation hip" and came up with this.)

One of the the treatments is corticosteroids. Wouldn't it be great if that worked to relieve the pain and help clear that inflammation up? I know depo medrol packs work wonders for me when I have flareups of whatever is wrong with me -- and sarcoidosis is on the short list. Come to think of it, my hip hurts sometimes....!

Marcia

Sarcoidosis, according to the literature I just searched, only presents as skin lesions in dogs. We humans with sarcoidosis aren't so lucky - I've had pulmonary and ocular involvement. So it seems pretty safe to say that Jen's pup doesn't have sarcoidosis.

Jen, a Fentanyl patch is a very potent narcotic which, once applied, remains on for 3 days. If your pup has bad reactions to narcotics, I'd be very hesitant to even consider Fentanyl. If he doesn't do well on it, you have to deal with removing the patch (difficult on its own) and waiting for the effects to wear off, which can take hours.

My osteo dogs seemed to do well on tylenol w/codeine when tramadol was no longer working - you might ask your vet about this.

I'm so sorry - I know that this is equally painful for you, though spiritually more than physically. :bighug

Jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Jen, I agree with the consensus here. No point in putting your sweet ol' guy through invasive testing if it's ultimately not going to lead to a significant treatment.

I'm very sorry you're going through this. :bighug

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I am so sorry about what you are having to deal with. Sending hugs and prayers to you and your boy. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:hope:candle:candle:candle

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest bigorangedog

Thanks everybody. We'll talk to the vet Monday morning (the biopsy is scheduled for afternoon) and see whether she thinks there is really anything to be gained by doing the biopsy. If there won't be anything to be done for him anyway, and all we're doing is finding out what it is for the sake of knowing, then we won't do it.

Question: Could the needle aspiration (which she did 3 times) have caused him to be more painful afterward? Because he really seems to be hurting more yesterday and today. (Vet appt. was Thursday night.) When she did it, he didn't really react, at least not any more than he would react to a regular shot. But his limp is much worse the past 2 days, and I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.

---

I really don't know how we'll know when it's time to say goodbye to him. I have 7 greyhounds, but he'll be our first one to go. I run an adoption group, and still, I've never had one of my dogs die. (Although we did have one die less than 2 hrs after arriving here from the track, which was *awful*.... We tried to save him but couldn't.)

Husband says that as long as Tanner is still excited about his food and snacks, still playing "air snap" from his bed, and can still rest comfortably, then we should help him stay around as long as he can. But it's hard to say when he's not "happy enough" anymore. He can't walk much since Thursday night, and has to be helped outside. I know he'd like to follow me around but can't, so I just stay by him. Walking is clearly extremely painful for him. So I keep going back and forth. If we could get his pain better under control, things would be so much better. Yes, he lays in his bed all day, but that's not really much different from what the rest of them do. ;-)

We gave him a little Tramadol this afternoon with no problems, so we'll up it for his night dose and see how it goes... I don't think he got much relief from it, but at least he wasn't on a drug trip.

Well, I hope OSU will get back to us soon. Otherwise, not much else we can do until we talk with the vet on Monday morning. Still welcoming any advice or ideas (I'll raise the steroid question with the vet just in case!). Thanks, guys.

Jen

Oh, Jen, my heart is breaking for you. I know how completely you love your guys, and to see Tanner going through this has got to be tearing you apart. I would have to agree with what the others have said about the biopsy. I did it with Winnie, and it didn't change anything I had to do, and I wish I hadn't put her through that. I'm glad you've gotten in touch with OSU---hopefully, they can give you some more info.

You may not have enough posts to PM---I'm going to email you.

We will all be sending prayers and white light to Tanner and to you and Lloyd. And Lydia sends telepathic "get well" thoughts to Tanner, and love to Crisco.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

hugs to you. I agree with your husband as long as you can keep him happy. I made this decision for my bridge angel Snowman. I picked the 3 things that he LOVED...playing ball, eating dinner, getting up to get pets. Even tho he would look at me with loving eyes He just let the ball roll past him, he ate but didnt do a happy dance and only nibbled, and would not get up for loves just pick his head up and lay it back down. I knew it was my turn to make true to my word and help him to the bridge. Good luck

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

While he is doing air-snaps and eating well, I would be happy to keep him going if he were mine. After all, you don't have a definitive diagnosis, and this may be got under control and not progress.

It is very hard to know when to let them go. Very hard. With Renie, we could see by the MRI that there was no hope, and only pain and distress in her future. She was in tremendous pain (the 'screaming repeatedly' type of pain) without methadone, and uninterested in anything or anything with it. With Jack, it was clear that he'd given up. He couldn't breathe without his oxygen kennel, and then one day he couldn't get up, or even move his back legs. If he tried to rise, his eyes glazed and he fell back down. I think you'll know when the time has come. I would only say what others have said before: better a day too early than a day too late. Believe me, the 'day too late' will haunt you forever.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I do know how you feel. You want to do everything possible, but on the other hand you don't want to put your beloved dog through more than you have to. It's a horrible dilemma. You can only listen to the vet, and to your heart, and make the best decision you can make - it's all any of us can do. :bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest bigorangedog

Tanner is gone. The vet came this afternoon to help him go. He got so much worse so fast. He must have had a pathologic fracture, although we were with him every second for weeks and he never yelped or made a sound. I can't believe that my beautiful boy is gone. My heart is in a million pieces on the floor. I loved him so much.

OMG. NO. I am so sorry. Certainly not the news we were expecting.

Again, I am sooooo sorry. :(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am so sorry for you and your family. Farewell Tanner, run pain free now.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am so very sorry. God speed Tanner, no more pain and you will now run with the Angels.

I hope my Tanner was there to help greet you.

You were a very brave boy and you fought a tough hard fight with dignity

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh no. My heart goes out to you.

Godspeed, beloved boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm so sorry you lost your wonderful boy.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)