Need Some Reassurance

Guest wrfd306

Guest wrfd306

I got home from work last night at about 9pm. Usually when I get home both Frannie and Beauty nearly knock me off my feet with excitement. Last night Frannie was doing her usual ricochetting off the furniture but Beauty didn't even get off her dogbed. She just looked up at me. I dismissed it as she just didn't feel good (one of them had throw up the day before but we didn't know which one). This morning when I woke up, as Beauty went to stand up off her dogbed She wimpered/yelped the whole way up, Then when she went to shake, which usually goes from her head to her tale she only shook her head very slowly. After that, when we went out to the living room, she walked over to the couch she put one paw up but then wimpered when she went to lift the other. She instead settled down slowly onto her dogbed on the floor. Everytime she got up she was visibly in pain. I took her to the vet, he said she injured her back somehow (right in the area of the indent in her back) possibly running around outside (lots of snow and ice here in NY). He gave her an anti-inflammatory shot and prescribed some pills for the next week. Since then, (about 1pm) she really hasn't gotten up, It seems like a real effort for her to get up, every now and then she start to get up but then decide not to. I have never had anything like this happen, does anyone have any experience with this type of injury? I am just worried sick about her (sorry this is so long winded) :gh_child:(

no experience with this :(

but sending prayers and healing hugs to your pupper!!!! :hope:candle:bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest ctgreylover

Well, first, give her a gentle hug from me.

Tony has hurt his neck a few times. Don't even know how it happens. The first time it happened, I thought he was dying and drove to the ER as fast as I could without getting a ticket because I was afraid he would die while I was pulled over. He was not even in any danger... I felt foolish but I felt it was an ok foolishness! The GSOD is so scarey.

So, use the anti-inflamaatory. Maybe massage if tolerated. I've used a heating pad. She should feel better in a few days. If she does not want to eat , give her yummy food. Make sure she drinks. If she has prednisone, watch out , she may pee a lot and have accidents. Its a common side effect.

I am sorry you are all going thru this.

Guest VanillaBean

Try to ice for at least 3 days before using heat. Ice will decrease inflammation and pain. Heat will increase inflammation and pain. Hope she feels better real soon!

Guest crazy4greys
Try to ice for at least 3 days before using heat. Ice will decrease inflammation and pain. Heat will increase inflammation and pain.

Ice is better if she will let you apply it. I hope she feels better soon.

Our whippet strained his neck/back a couple times. And was miserable for a couple days till the meds did their work. Great advice from ctgreylover re eating and drinking (and possibly peeing too much).

If it is just a strain, which seems highly likely, then meds should start to make some improvement in 2-3 days. You'll want to keep her as quiet as possible for 2-3 weeks, tho, even if she seems 100% well before that. Leash walks only -- no running, no stairs, no jumping up and down (if you can keep her off the sofa -- hard, I know).

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ctgreylover

Leash walks for Tony went better with a harness rather than a collar but his injury was the neck. Not sure what is best for your girl. Try both if you can. Get a cheap harnes from a local store then upgrade to martingale one if its best

Guest wrfd306

Thank you to all, I realize that I am not a regular poster on this site, I do lurk on a daily basis though. I really appreciate all the advice and the healing prayers. I am truly much more confident that everything will turn out OK, I will keep you all updated.

Guest SueG201

what kind of pills did the Vet give your dog, if he gave Previcox pls do not give this to your

dog, this drug s hould be taken off the market, it has killed tons of dogs

I have never had this happen to my dogs, but I hope she feels better soon!

Sending hugs and good thoughts your way! :grouphug:goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Carol Becker makes wonderful support harnesses for dogs with back injuries - they can be worn 24*7 and allow you to help your dog to get up, and also to steady them on walks if needed. They are also very reasonably priced. You can contact her through Gods Greyts:

http://www.godsgreyts.com/

Hope Beauty starts responding to the meds soon.

Guest wrfd306
Hi, sending healing thoughts to Beauty. I hope after a day or two she seems better. Where on L.I. are you? Please update when you can.

Well the good news is I got home from work today and Beauty is hoppin around like nothing happened :bounce , The bad news is I have my hands full tryin to keep her calm. I haven't even started her on her pills (I am starting them tonight). The pills are Deramaxx. PS I am in Wading River, Long Island (just west of Riverhead on the north shore)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm so sorry about Beauty! Anything to do with the spine/back is hard to diagnos. What medication did the vet give you? Hopefully some Tramadol for the pain - keep her dosed on it for a few days. The anti-inflamatory shot should help quickly. I would say that if you don't see improvement in 24 hrs then back to vet and ask about Prednisone. You don't really want to go that route if you can help it but it does great things in a short span of time but definitely not for long term use. Also, you might look into acupuncture. That has helped my Spencer quite a bit. He has a chronic low back problem. Sending hugs to Beauty!

Edited to add: Oops just saw your update. I'm so glad Beauty is back to her normal self!

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Greyt news! So glad she's feeling better! But you're right to try and keep her as quiet as possible.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

So glad your little girl is feeling better. Our Angel Sophia had spine problems...we did much rest...had to hide all of her babies so that she would not shake them...and we did leash walks only in our fenced yard with a harness. Please keep us updated and hug your sweetie for me! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Glad your baby is feeling better.

Off subject. Were you heading east on the LI Tuesday, Feb.3. I was out there for a funeral in Greenpoint and came across a car with "I LOVE GREYHOUNDS". I guess that car saw my plates "greypack", the stickers "support greyhound adoption and it's a greyhound thing" because when I passed the car, we both gave a thumbs up to each other.

Was that you ???

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I assume the vet gave her a shot of steroids, which can take a bit to work, but once they do, are FABULOUS (I've had many steroid shots myself for various orthopedic issues).

Sounds like she is well on her way to mending.

One time my old dog sort of sprained his neck. It was very dramatic--I was sure he was a goner. It was amazing how quickly (and totally) he recovered once the vet gave us some anti-inflammatories. One word of caution: don't get cocky. Make her take it easy for a while. I'd try to keep her from jumping onto or off of anything (if she does that) to avoid the risk of reinjury.

Best wishes!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest wrfd306
Glad your baby is feeling better.

Off subject. Were you heading east on the LI Tuesday, Feb.3. I was out there for a funeral in Greenpoint and came across a car with "I LOVE GREYHOUNDS". I guess that car saw my plates "greypack", the stickers "support greyhound adoption and it's a greyhound thing" because when I passed the car, we both gave a thumbs up to each other.

Was that you ???

No, that wasn't me but I do have all those tell-tail decals on the back of my Jeep also

Guest wrfd306
I assume the vet gave her a shot of steroids, which can take a bit to work, but once they do, are FABULOUS (I've had many steroid shots myself for various orthopedic issues).

Sounds like she is well on her way to mending.

One time my old dog sort of sprained his neck. It was very dramatic--I was sure he was a goner. It was amazing how quickly (and totally) he recovered once the vet gave us some anti-inflammatories. One word of caution: don't get cocky. Make her take it easy for a while. I'd try to keep her from jumping onto or off of anything (if she does that) to avoid the risk of reinjury.

Best wishes!

The doc said the shot was an anti-infammatory. Luckily, Beauty is the naturally calmer of the two of them, Frannie is the one that ricochets off the couch, recliner, TV, walls, etc. (We actually had to move the couch up against a wall because she almost flipped it over backwards once when we walked in the door, aparently she REALLY misses us when we are gone), Beauty just comes up to us and waits to be pet and then goes and lays down to watch her sis act like a nut.

PS I love reading "Da Whirled Famous Unruly Boys Chat Club" that Jumping George always partakes in, you guys (gals) are a riot.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Cougar had an incident where he couldn't put his head down to pick up popcorn off the floor (he is the original food hound!) He could go so far and then it was like something was preventing him from lowering it. I thought he wasn't interested at first but figured out what was going on and placed them on the arm of the couch and he scarfed them down. I want to say he was like that for a week or two.

Also, shortly after I turned 30, I woke up with a crick in my neck. (Goodbye 20's!) Slept with one arm up high around a greyhound and the other up high around a 3 year old. I couldn't turn my neck without hurting for about two months after that.

Hoping it's only a pulled muscle or something, but hate that even that takes time to heal. Sending prayers your way.