Strange Mass On Non-greyhound

Sorcha

My 16 year-old English setter developed an odd mass on the side of her neck last summer. The vet looked at it and determined it was nothing to be concerned with and to just keep an eye on it. I did, and when it turned black, I told the vet and he said he was still not concerned about it, only if it grew. Okay ... so flash-forward to last night I was petting her and accidently ran my hand over where the mass is, and it broke off :eek leaving a hole in her skin about the size of a fingertip. :unsure I examined the bit that fell off, it looks like a small piece of candy corn except it's black at the tip and white at the base. What is this thing? I cleaned up the wound left behind, it did not bleed, but there's a hole in her now! I will call the vet when he opens today, but has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

My older lab had some of those. They were fatty growths. Sometimes they filled with fluid and would rupture then heal on their own and other times they would dry up and turn black or scabby and fall off. My vet was never worried about them either. The lab lived to be 13... just had a lot of fatty tumors.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Nothing to be concerned about. My friend's 15 year old cocker spaniel used to get those types of growths all the time. They're absolutely disgusting, but they aren't sinister.

Keep the spot clean. You likely won't seen a recurrence.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Sheila has some like that, I had the vet check them out when we were at the vet last week. I was afraid they were cancerous, but she said they were sebaceous cysts. She said to put witch hazel on them to help dry them out and they would shrink or fall off. It kinda sounds like the same thing.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

First of all--my family has had English Setters for over 60 years! (Not the same ones!!!) That you have one that is 16 years old is AMAZING! Congratulations!

Sounds like some kind of wart or something. My old dog, also not a hound, had a similar thing on him, and one day it was just gone. I considered myself lucky that I didn't have to pay to have it removed.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Years ago one of my Norwegian elkhounds had a few of what sounds to be something very similar and in my case, they turned out to be cysts. One in particular looked like a blackhead on top of a good sized lump. When this one popped it left a hole about the size of a nickel. It ended up needing minor surgery to put a few stitches in to close it. The other ones were fine and I never even noticed when they "popped".

Guest greytexplorer

I agree with Donna: put the remnant in a ziplock bag and give it to the vet for examination.

I also agree with Carl's mum: it was probably a sebaceous cyst.

And like Susan said: Aren't you glad you didn't pay to have it removed???? :lol

Indeed, it's a plus that I did not have to have it removed but for my dogs I will pay whatever price it takes to make them better if something does happen to them. She had a tumor removed from inside her ear last year, the vet said that one had to go. He advised not to have it tested (to see if it was cancerous) because she was 15 at the time and a cancer diagnosis would likely mean saying goodbye. She's been fine since, but it's always nagged at me that I did not have that growth tested. She does have some issues every now and again (has had one seizure, has daily head tremors and rare episodes of seeming lost & staring off into space) and the vet suspects something bad could be going on in her brain but his suggestion is that so long as she is not in pain or distress then keep her happy, comfortable and loved.

Indeed, it's a plus that I did not have to have it removed but for my dogs I will pay whatever price it takes to make them better if something does happen to them. She had a tumor removed from inside her ear last year, the vet said that one had to go. He advised not to have it tested (to see if it was cancerous) because she was 15 at the time and a cancer diagnosis would likely mean saying goodbye. She's been fine since, but it's always nagged at me that I did not have that growth tested. She does have some issues every now and again (has had one seizure, has daily head tremors and rare episodes of seeming lost & staring off into space) and the vet suspects something bad could be going on in her brain but his suggestion is that so long as she is not in pain or distress then keep her happy, comfortable and loved.

Give your sweet old girl a gentle squeeze from me.

Thanks, she is a sweetie. In these older years she has silvery strands of fur in her white coat that only seem to make her look younger, and shinier.

Last night I clipped away the fur around the wound and was able to do a much better job of cleaning it and applying ointment. Her ear flops over ther wound, but I did not have the heart to cut off the fur under and around her ears.

she is a very beautiful girl!!! :wub: :wub:

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway