Beau- The Diagnosis Is Here And It Is Ibd

RobinM

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he likes it... I made him some barley with fish broth. I bought a slow cooker and make the broth from the talpia. I then gave him some barley and talapia which he ate a little bit of in 2 small meals. Hopefully, every day, a little bit more. Baby steps.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Baby steps are good. Eating a little bit often is good. Being at home with everyone around him is good. Not having been diagnosed with "C" is good. A steady stream of prayers from GT is good. So many good things on the positive side of the balance sheet. Sending positive healing thoughts to Beau and his hurting tummy.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I had a feeling it might be IBD that Beau had. At least you know now. You might find this website helpful.

Robin, I'm not sure if you saw the website I posted above, but a lot of the other IBD websites I've seen refer back to this one. You may want to check it out.....it's written by Holly Frisby, DVM.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

When do I panic? How much of a skeleton should he be before something ( and I don't know what) gets done? Can anything get done?

becasue he is taking a few bits of fish, my vet seems to think that's OK. What am I missing here?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest poopsie1

I think it's going to take time, Robin. My SIL has a cat with IBD and, when he was first diagnosed, noone thought he was going to make it. It took a while for him to realize he wasn't going to get sick when he ate and she fed him very small meals throughout the day. Now, two years later, he's the picture of health and just as chunky as he was before. Beau has been sick for so long and not eating that his system has to adjust to food coming in. I would feel just like you if it was one of my guys but I think each day will get better. The baby steps are good. Big hugs to you and Beau.

Guest IrskasMom

Robin ..... I was thinking of Beau and you. How are you doing ??As ,the saying goes : "No News is good News " .

Maybe a short Update ??? :dunno:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Thanks. I haven't been on much, because I was so overwhelmed.

Beau is a skelteon. He weighed 60 prior to his surgery and I know he's lost several pounds since then. That is the hardest part watching them fade away.

The good news is that:

1) yesterday he ate in 4 small meals a total of 3/4 cup of kibble for the 1st time and 1/2 talapia fish

2) today for breakfast he had a full talapia fish. At 3pm he had 1/4 cup of kibble with 1/2 talapia fish. I still hope to get some more food into him.

More good news is that Beau, for the first time in MONTHS, had fully formed poops!!! That's the pred working reducing the inflammation. And I think we have a food that he is tolerating.

I gave a small party in the middle of the street at 7:30 this morning when I saw that!!!!!

From what I understand, it is going to take a very, very long time to get him to gain weight and this is long road of a struggle, but I will never,ever give up on my Beau Beau.

Thanks for asking and thinking about us.

All we need at this point is lots of prayers.

ETA- state of mind is now cautiously optimistic.

Edited by RobinM

I'm glad to hear Beau has eaten some yesterday and today. And, I understand about the happy dance in the street. Continuing prayers for your sweet baby.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest koolaidnconner

Remember Robyn it will take awhile. He has not eaten for awhile so it takes awhile to get his energy back to be able to eat. I completly understand the struggle. I remember crying a lot because Conner was so thin and wondering what I was doing wrong. It will turn around, don't force it though. As long as he is eating even a tiny bit everyday and a little more the next he will recover.

:grouphug for you...kisses for Beau

Beau is going to eat. Beau is going to eat. Beau is going to eat. Come on, everybody! Altogether now:

BEAU IS GOING TO EAT!!! So glad to read that he is eating. Yay, Pred! I have a love/hate relationship with pred, but right now, I L-O-V-E it!

Come on, Beau! Keep eating for Mom. She needs a break and everyone knows that YOU do! We're still sending a bazillion prayers and healing, calming thoughts.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Baby steps....Hug Beau Beau for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Robin,

As I write I have tears in my eyes! Sounds like your Beau is slowly on the mend :thumbs-up

He will get better, and you have to believe that! It is going to take time and patience, but he will be back to your old Beau!

You are a great Mommy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And he knows it! We all do.

I know it has been so hard on you!!!

Hugs to you and your whole pack,... I mean family!

Haven't been on much either but I came looking for this update. What WONDERFUL news about his poops being more formed! Believe me I know EXACTLY what you mean when you talk about giving a dance party in the street :):lol:

I know it's hard, but try to be patient and take one day at a time. Beau will get better... with time and your loving care :)

:bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Migreys

Thank-you for the update on Beau. I was wondering how he was getting along. Only other dog parents could understand and celebrate a happy dance after their pups have normal poop.

Keep at it! Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job!!! :colgate

Eating cups of stuff and having formed poooooooooooo is very good news indeed :confetti

On the up now Beau :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Eating + formed poop is WONDERFUL.

Keeping fingers crossed ..... :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.