Bloated Stomach

Guest makenna25

Guest makenna25

My 6 year old greyhound Cairo has had a rough week. It all started with a little puking, not much eating then a trip to the vet. AT the vet we learned, although I could already tell, he had lost 4 lbs. He had a slight temp and to rule out a blockage they gave him a "yummy" drink then did x-rays... no blockage, but one giant poo! So constipation seemed the culprit! We have a lot of snow right now, so perhaps that's his reluctance, but we took care of that (my husband shoveled the backyard). :) So, the next few days he wasn't eating very much still, so as I watched him lose more weight I finally decided to change his diet to entice him to eat. I gave him boiled chicken, white rice and some kibble which he devoured. I gave him a few small meals so he wouldn't overdo it. He has been eating well for 4 days, until today. He ate most of his breakfast, then only a few bites of dinner. I did end up getting him to eat the dinner by hand feeding him, he seemed to like that. He is very lethargic, which I was attributing to low activity (it has been too COLD), but he had several walks the last couple days. Now this evening, after his dinner, his abdomen looks very strange. It looks bloated and feels firm to touch. It is strange to see a raised area as he is very lean. Anyways, I don't know what to and if I should be alarmed by his bloated looking tummy. Any thoughts???

Thanks, he's such a happy boy, I want him to feel better!!

:unsure

Edited by makenna25

Vet. Now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytkidsmom

It sounds like a trip to the e-vet would be warranted. The lethargy and firm tummy sound worrisome. Hope your boy gets to feeling better soon.

If his tummy is very round and large and makes a kind of drummy thumpy sound, get him to a vet immediately.

Yes, it could be just constipation, but he could also have bloat and that is a medical emergency to take care of RIGHT NOW!!!!! Do not wait until morning or later. The sooner they can intervene the better the outcome.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest makenna25

Thanks everyone. I looked up signs of bloat in my greyhound book... he isn't showing any other symptoms. He did just go out a pee a river and his tummy looks better. I will keep an eye on it for the next hour or so, and if it comes back or gets worse to the vet we will go.

Thank you so much!

Makenna

Thanks everyone. I looked up signs of bloat in my greyhound book... he isn't showing any other symptoms. He did just go out a pee a river and his tummy looks better. I will keep an eye on it for the next hour or so, and if it comes back or gets worse to the vet we will go.

Thank you so much!

Makenna

Please keep us posted if you will. Please remember, that you don't want to see other symptoms, the bloated belly is enough.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Loss of appetite + tight stomach can also be the result of finding food other than what you've been feeding. Make sure nobody has heaved a cooked chicken over the fenceline, or that he hasn't broken into human or dog food while you were out.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest makenna25

Update:

Looks like "mom" was overreacting due to his recent illness. His stomach makes no thumpy sound and is no longer large or "bloated" at all, back to normal. Some gas seems to be the culprit! I feel very informed in case it were to happen. Thank you all so much you are all very kind and helpful!! And sorry I worried you all!

Aren't greys wonderful? That's why I got so concerned!

Update:

Looks like "mom" was overreacting due to his recent illness. His stomach makes no thumpy sound and is no longer large or "bloated" at all, back to normal. Some gas seems to be the culprit! I feel very informed in case it were to happen. Thank you all so much you are all very kind and helpful!! And sorry I worried you all!

Oh, just saw this and about had a heart attack reading the posts after your original.

My girl PJ died from bloat (after the surgery) and I blame myself because I didn't realize what was happening and feel I waited too long to get her in. When our second dog Kodi bloated (hopefully the last!), as soon as I saw him I rushed him to the ER vet. My husband said I was overreacting, but I said I hope I was and they would just send us home, but I was right. He is still with us.

So glad your boy is alright now, although I am a wreck! :crazy

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Guest IrskasMom

I am so glad Cairo is feeling better . Better overreacting then not at all "Aren't greys wonderful? That's why I got so concerned!

Hugs to all of you :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest makenna25
Update:

Oh, just saw this and about had a heart attack reading the posts after your original.

My girl PJ died from bloat (after the surgery) and I blame myself because I didn't realize what was happening and feel I waited too long to get her in. When our second dog Kodi bloated (hopefully the last!), as soon as I saw him I rushed him to the ER vet. My husband said I was overreacting, but I said I hope I was and they would just send us home, but I was right. He is still with us.

So glad your boy is alright now, although I am a wreck! :crazy

Oh I am sorry about your girl PJ!! Thank you so much for your kind words! I am sorry you are a wreck, but thanks again!

This morning Cairo is doing much better, and strange as it sounds I was glad to hear him toot this morning! :)

So glad Cairo is OK!! And welcome to GreyTalk, by the way -- great to have you here. Hope you'll post some pics of Cairo once things settle down. (I'm Beth's mom, we met at the snowy M&G in Coralville a couple of weeks ago, remember?)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

For the record- even if you have them to the vet before signs are even evident; even if the vets are highly rated and have the latest and greatest equipment and technology and have a surgeon begin immediately- it can still kill them. I had my beloved heart dog Slim at a top rated er before symptoms were even apparent. I love him so much and as a trained observer I thought he didn't "look" exactly right so I rushed him to er just to be on safe side. I fully expected it to be nothing-thought maybe he had just gotten a little hot. I just didn't want to take ANY chances with him even though I thought I was wasting my time and money taking him. (I am aware that I am like a mother hen concerning my hounds and have to watch that I don't over react.) The only reason they admitted him ASAP was because of my "insistance" as he didn't appear to be ill. X-rays surprisingly revealed torsion/bloat. After the "successful" surgury he coded twice, was resusitated once and required euthanization shortly before bleeding to death from DIC.

True if you neglect to get them there early and the tissue gets damaged due to the blood supply being cut off etc. that can be it. But as Slim showed you can also have an emergency surgeon standing by as it develops, prior to any symptoms even being shown, and it can still kill.