Monty's Secondary Pathology Results From His Lymphoma Are In

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

AUGH AUGH AUGH AUGH.

The onco vet is going to call me later to review this with me, but the receptionist told me that the second look at Monty's tumour for typing (immunocytochemistry) to determine further about the type of cancer (ie T cell versus B cell) was INCONCLUSIVE which it is in LESS THAN 5% OF CASES.

AUGH AUGH AUGH AUGH

The test cost $300 and now we have learned

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

I should have put this in soap box for how mad and frustrated I am.

The onco vet will call me and tell me NOW WHAT later on.

Edited by greytmonty

I don't think I will ever understand how this happens!!!!!!!!!!! I am so hoping for good news for your boy, he's been through so much. As well as you of course

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytmonty
Is there a plan B, like retesting, assuming they still have some tissue? This is beyond frustrating!!!

On second thought - maybe they already retested and that's why it took so long for the results to come back. Either way, AAAAGGHH is right!

The onco vet will let me know but I can tell you we cannot pay for more testing at this point!

Yeesh, I know what you mean, unfortunately.

Hugs to you Karen & Monty.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytmonty

Two emails from onco vet, she is calling me later today:

First is quoting the report:

"Lympocyte Phenotyping

Parr (PCR) Negative

The negative results should reduce your suspicion of a lymphoproliferative disorder but not rule it out. Our most recent analysis if the sensitivity of this test insicates that we can detect 80% of confirmed lymphoid malignancies when the assay is conducted on the tissue containing suspicious cells.

Test performed at Colorado State University"

Second is her interpretation:

Basically it means that the test can back with a non result due to one of many reasons. It happens in their experience 80% of the time. Thus it's a non-finding or means no lymphoma. The biopsy came back as lymphoma, so I presume it's lymphoma. When results are mixed, I err on treating the most aggressive disease diagnosed because to do less is to risk making a more fatal and severe mistake. Some cells don't express certain markers or are genetically altered so that such tests don't pick up on the markers. This might be one of those. So still lymphoma until proven otherwise. Other test to check and prove would be the immunohistochemistry through Penn - path sample from your vet would have to be sent. I would treat as lymphoma unless proven otherwise.

My vet has no tumour tissue left to test, so unless the original lab has some, which is unlikely, we wouldn't be able to do the second test.

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Karen ~ no advice here, just a super :bighug to you and :kiss2 on the top of Monty's head.

wanna bet "Key To The Mint" is more literal than original thought?? ~

sorry I use my sick humor to lighten up stressful situations ~ keeps the ulcers down

Wow, that is so incredibly frustrating. They should have told you before the test that 80% the test is inconclusive, it bothers me when I'm not given the full picture. Not that it would have changed your decision to have the test run, but it isn't called "informed consent" for no reason.

On the bright side, I'm glad Monty is feeling good.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greytmonty

Spoke with onco vet. We are not pursuing further testing. She knows he has a round cell very aggressive cancer and based on his pathology report prior to this one she feels very confident it is lymphoma.

The original lab that performed the first pathology definitely has some tissue left (assuming you submitted the entire mass)--Dr Couto would just need a sliver of that. He would read the slide for you at no charge but, there may be a small fee from the lab to prepare the slide for you. Lab's will make mistakes!

Glad he's feeling good :colgate

Guest greytmonty
The original lab that performed the first pathology definitely has some tissue left (assuming you submitted the entire mass)--Dr Couto would just need a sliver of that. He would read the slide for you at no charge but, there may be a small fee from the lab to prepare the slide for you. Lab's will make mistakes!

Glad he's feeling good :colgate

I don't know how to go about tracking this down. It sounds esoteric from what the onco vet says. I guess I'll ask OSU their opinion as to whether I should follow up.

Guest seraphimandie

Im so sorry to read about monty's health issues. I am glad he is feeling good. My thoughts and prayers will be with him and your family (especially you).

I'm pretty new around here but Monty looks just like my Finnegan.

Sending more prayers for Monty....I am so glad that he is feeling well.

Angel LaceyLaine is watching over...:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greytmonty

I exchanged a long email with Dr. Marin at OSU. Dr. Couto will do the IHC, which is a way of looking at slides of stained tumour tissue in order to type it, including typing B versus T cell. It can help in planning including prognosis but also give information re treatment. Antech is sending 7 slides, unstained, to OSU today, for $30, and Dr. Couto and team will read them FOR FREE!!!!

My onco vet explained the testing as follows:

......IHC (immunohistochemical staining) on the biopsy sample. They can test for CD3 (T cell), CD79 (B cell) and even CD18 (potential histiocytic). Some times these tumors don't have the normal markings that a specific tumor type should. Genetic mutation and instability is a hallmark of cancer.

OSU to the rescue AGAIN!!!!!!!!!