Good Thoughts For Maxx, Please

Guest Maxx

Please think good thoughts for my Maxx, who will be having surgery at Ohio State in the morning. Maxx is critically ill and severely anemic caused by something in his body that is chewing up his red blood cells. Maxx has been getting progressively more ill over the last month, which was further complicated by our veterinarian mis-diagnosing him, then prescribing a combination of medications that caused GI bleeding. In desperation, I emailed Dr. Couto and the Greyhound Health and Wellness program at OSU right before Christmas. Within 2 days, Maxx was being examined, and Dr. Couto and team have been working diligently to reach a diagnosis ever since.

Maxx is currently in ICU at Ohio State. Hypersplenism is the tentative diagnosis right now, and Dr. Birchard and Dr. Couto will be removing Maxx's spleen in the morning, as well as taking a biopsy of his liver and intestines just in case.

I really cannot say enough good things about Dr. Couto. He has gone above and beyond to help us out - calling outside of office hours, emailing, checking in on Maxx - this man truly loves these dogs. It shows on his face when he talks about his work, and it shows even more in how Maxx's eyes light up when he sees Dr. Couto. He has truly been a Godsend for us, and I have every confidence that Maxx will soon be on the road to recovery in no time.

But in the meantime, a good thought, prayer, positive thinking for my baby:

maxx-face.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maxx has such a lovely face and soulful eyes. All my good thoughts are going your way for Maxx that he will be recovering soon.

:hope :hope :hope :hope

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest GreytMuse

Many prayers for you and Maxx -- successful surgery, accurate diagnosis and rapid healing! :grouphug Dr. Couto is an angel to our greys, we are all so lucky to have him. Please update us on your precious boy when possible.

Guest vahoundlover

Tons of prayers for your VERY handsome fella! :grouphug Dr. Couto is a godsend. Please keep us updated on Maxx. You will get a lot of support here.

Many good thoughts & wishes for Maxx - what a beautiful boy he is! :wub: He's in very good hands.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Sending prayers for your handsome boy Maxx. I agree that Dr Couto is wonderful.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Surgery should start in about an hour. I've been told that due to the nature of the surgery that Maxx will need to rest and not get excited over visitors, so I am not permitted to visit him today after surgery. They will call me with updates throughout the day, and I will be on pins and needles until I hear that he's pulled through okay. It is so hard to see him so thin and tired - he's lost 15 pounds in the last 4 weeks. I just want my boy to get better.

What a handsome little man. Sending prayers for Maxx...for you...and his very gifted and loving surgeons. Please update us as you can and know that prayers are coming from around the world for your sweet little baby. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

We have Maxx tucked tightly in our prayers.There's just not enough words to describe Dr C, the man is amazing. Please keep us updated and know we are all in his corner

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

How frightening for you. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Sending LOTS of good thoughts for your sweet boy Maxx. :goodluck:goodluck:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

:grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.