Bite Wound Care

My grey got bit in the head today by another grey during a greyhound dog walk. Looking for wound care advice. I cleansed the wound within 30 minutes with vet prescribed wound flush that I had available. Then I dabbed on Biocane with a cotton ball. The Biocane has an antibacterial agent in it. I've done this cleansing/Biocane application 2X today and will do it once more before bedtime. Any recommendations? The bite is about the size of a dime and not necessarily just superficial. It is deeper but does not require stitches. Looking for any other ideas on how to care for doggie. Thanks a bunch. Any support appreciated.

Missile.jpg

BABY, HE WAS BORN TO RUN!

I'm not sure I'd keep flushing a head wound 3 X a day (am I reading your post correctly?). When Poo had a deep tissue injury flushing it often sped healing, but not sure where the bite is on your guys head. I'm not a vet and don't play one on TV but in both my own owies and the dogs it seems like messing with it too much delays healing.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I wish I could post a pic here. The wound is about 1 inch below his left ear. He does not seem to have pawed at it at all so far. But if he does it will be trouble becuase his dew claw could go right in there and make a worse rip. I have kept a close eye on him. He is usually a very playful guy and has been very subdued since this happened today.

Missile.jpg

The depth of the wound is more important than the diameter. I hope you got the name and phone number of the owner of the other dog; if it looks at ALL worse tomorrow, I'd take the dog to the vet.

I agree with Batmom; don't keep flushing it. It's clean now. Continually cleaning it will prevent scabbing. I would keep an antibiotic ointment on it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The depth of the wound is more important than the diameter. I hope you got the name and phone number of the owner of the other dog; if it looks at ALL worse tomorrow, I'd take the dog to the vet.

I agree with Batmom; don't keep flushing it. It's clean now. Continually cleaning it will prevent scabbing. I would keep an antibiotic ointment on it.

OK, thanks. It is oozing now. I need to give it a db to wipe it. I did talk to the owner, we are all members of the same walking group. All shots are up too date, everyone feels badly.

Missile.jpg

I'm not sure I'd keep flushing a head wound 3 X a day (am I reading your post correctly?). When Poo had a deep tissue injury flushing it often sped healing, but not sure where the bite is on your guys head. I'm not a vet and don't play one on TV but in both my own owies and the dogs it seems like messing with it too much delays healing.

My reason for continue flushing it is to keep bacteria out. If that wound heals up with bacteria inside then there will be more problems. It is ok for a wound to heal a little more slowly.

I'm not pretending to be a vet either but I was a vet tech for 6 years. Boris' mom asked for advice and that is mine.

That looks a little deep in two pictures but not the one. Is there actually a puncture there? I can't tell with some of the hair over it. If so, to be on the save side I would want to get it checked by the vet tomorrow. Keep the bacteria out and cover it in between.

The vet may want to give some antibiotics. Bite wounds can be nasty.

Agree.

That looks a little deep in two pictures but not the one. Is there actually a puncture there? I can't tell with some of the hair over it. If so, to be on the save side I would want to get it checked by the vet tomorrow. Keep the bacteria out and cover it in between.

The vet may want to give some antibiotics. Bite wounds can be nasty.

What do I cover it with? I have a pet medicine bag. I am worried that if I try to tape it with gauze pad and tape, he will paw at it and make it worse. I don't see a puncture like a tooth went through. It is more like teeth pulled the skin off. The hair is in the way a bit and I think I may want the vet to cut it off - from the overhanging skin.

Missile.jpg

Will you let the vet have a look at it tomorrow? If it's deep, vet might want you to clean gently once or twice a day. Usually doesn't need to be done more often than that, even with a deep puncture.

Easiest is to probably leave the wound itself UNcovered, but wrap his feet on that side so he can't scratch it open further. I'd just put thick baby socks on that side, vet-wrap around the ankles to hold them on, vet-wrap the dew-claw down.

Hugs and good luck for quick healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with Pam. You have flushed it and applied the medicine from the vet. I'd give it a day and I'll bet that it will look so much better tomorrow.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

EMT gel is a really good idea as it acts like a scab over the wound. I have used it on both of my greys. Consider the vet, though. They can give you some antibiotics and possibly pain meds, if the wound hurts. My female has encountered many wounds from running in the yard and also a few nips from my other male grey. My usual procedure is the above.

Guest ScottH

Poor Missile!

I'm sorry this happened Ann Marie. I had no idea this happened! I did notice you weren't there at the end, but I missed a few others too.

Hoping Missile feels better quickly and gets spoiled while healing.

Edited by ScottH

Guest FullMetalFrank

Can you put a baby sock on the foot he's most likely going to scratch at it with? That way at least he can't get at it with his claws. I'd tape a sock on both front and rear foot on the side of the wound, since he could reach it with both.

Thanks, everyone. The wound looked like it was drying/scabbing already today. He left it alone all night so I did not put on a sock or anything. I am planning a vet trip today. Applied a triple antibiotic gel this am and will wait to get to vet before doing anything else. I really appreciate all the good advice. This is my first and hopefully ONLY bite situation.

Edited by Missilesmom

Missile.jpg

This was probably my fault. The offender, a former foster of mine, is a guy that's been bounced around a lot, has had a lot of changes in his life, and just lost his adopted brother, whom he depended on for his confidence. I think he was just stressed: too much stimulation, too many dogs, too many changes. The new adopter is in touch, and very embarrassed, though it really wasn't anything that could have been foreseen. These things just happen sometimes.

These kinds of wounds normally heal pretty quickly on their own if kept clean. In our house we'd watch it for infection, and make the vet visit if it gets inflamed. If you're worried about his dew claw, you might wrap it with some vet wrap, not too tight, to keep the danger to a minimum.

STILL MISSED: TEDDY"Ted Sarandis" 8/18/92-7/3/2001..WILLOW 2/21/95-10/12/05..MAGIC "Special Dark" 9/20/93-10/3/2002..STEELY "Sport Connection" 8/1/90-7/2/04.. BARNEY "Pa's Sad Eyes"8/1/93-5/9/07..ALLIE 6/96-10/17/08...MR. BRITT "Cedarun Brett" 8/1/02-7/15/11..HARPER"Dashin Along"1/11/01-3/12/12..CAVAN "Pat C Cavan" 12/29/98-6/19/12..WHISPER"Ecstatic Events" 7/11/01-10/7/13..Lilly"Mimosa Maria"4/27/02-6/23/14..NELLIE"Afteraracenellie"5/21/2000-7/7/2014...SANTOS"Galgo" 2000-7/10/15..MOLLY"JWC Molivia Girl"3/18/02-3/6/16..

NewLogo.gif