3 Year Rabies Vaccine And Cancer?

A friend of mine just called and said when she took her dogs for their annuals her vet said that he was returning to 1 year rabies vaccinations because studies had shown that the 3 year vaccine causes a greater risk of cancer. Anyone heard ANYTHING about this????? Rabies vaccine is so cheap it is hard to imagine a vet pushing it unnecessarily as a profit generator when the state requires 3 year...lots of other vaccinations with a higher mark up. I'd just like to know if anyone knows about this besides her vet. She did not ask for details, but I'm curious.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I don't know anything about it. Don't know anything about vaccinations at all. But I have heard that the 1- and 3-year Rabies vaccine are exactly the same. So does it protect against cancer??? Meaning that to get the same shot more often gives the dog greater protection???

But I'm guessing the vet meant that the rabies vacc is negatively associated with cancer.

He meant there was greater incidence in cancer with the 3 year vaccine, but I've never heard any such thing.

There are (according to the state of Texas) two types of vaccines. The three year ones usually have "tri" or something in their nmes is what they told me when we switched to 3 year. What is bothering me is that the law in TX is every 3 years AFTER two shots 1 year apart. It seems like here (and in all the states with 3 year protocol) they are using the 3 year vaccine for those 1 year apart shots, not ordering in the less popular 1 yer vaccine just for those shots. So who could have done the study and how big and/or correct could it be. Am I making any sense?

I've never seen or hear of 3 year for cats, but the law here is every year for them.

There are three year vaccines for cats-my Beady was given one in May 2005 and developed a fibrosarcoma.

He passed in February 2006. I know that the cancer risk for cats is much greater than for dogs with these vaccines.

I hate giving my pets vaccines now, but unfortunately there are some that are necessary. I have also heard that the

one and three year rabies are the same and everyone you talk to has a different explanation of which is better and why.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

There are (according to the state of Texas) two types of vaccines. The three year ones usually have "tri" or something in their nmes is what they told me when we switched to 3 year. What is bothering me is that the law in TX is every 3 years AFTER two shots 1 year apart. It seems like here (and in all the states with 3 year protocol) they are using the 3 year vaccine for those 1 year apart shots, not ordering in the less popular 1 yer vaccine just for those shots.

OK - so there ARE 2 different vacc. formulations. But it was a vet tech, who I trust, who told me this, that they were the same. Most probably what she told me was correct, for her clinic, which probably used the 3-yr formulation for both 1-yr & 3-yr.

a lot depends on the manufacturer and state regulations.

But, the injection site carcinomas are more common in cats.

The cause is not the vaccine but the adjuvent which is what the vaccine is mixed with to cause the system to have an immune response and build up immunity.

Some states require Rabies to be given every year. In VA after the first vx we can validate the next one for 3yrs.

We use Merial Imrab 3, it can be used as a 1 or 3 yr, is safe for Ferrets too.

Merial's PureVax Feline Rabies is non-adjuvented therefore only has a 1yr validation.

Don't think I have ever heard of an injection site carcinoma in a dog, but I assume it is possible.

Edited by GreyKarma

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Don't think I have ever heard of an injection site carcinoma in a dog, but I assume it is possible.

...but would't the risk of that (if it existed) be made worse by vaccinationg EVERY year?

I think in the states that require yearly vaccines, the risk is higher contracting Rabies than an injection site carcinoma, your state veterinary board maybe able to answer in more detail.

I think in the states that require yearly vaccines, the risk is higher contracting Rabies than an injection site carcinoma, your state veterinary board maybe able to answer in more detail.

Let me clarify that we re a THREE year state where the vet is insisting on a yearly vaccines.

Having lost my first greyhound to IMHA at age 4 shortly after her vaccinations (coincidence?) this is a subject that interests me.

I guess somehow I am not making myself clear. :blush:dunno My question is not about cats or states that require 1 year rabies for dogs. It is about why a vet in a three year state would believe that three year vaccine causes cancer and insist on yearly rabies vaccinations in dogs. Out of the probably 50 or 60 vets we call on at the Dog Den there are 3 or 4 that insist on yearly rabies. Was just wondering if nyone (like Aaron) could find some reason to back up the vets claim.

Edited by Hubcitypam

Let me clarify that we re a THREE year state where the vet is insisting on a yearly vaccines.

Then tell him you would rather not.

Kim, (PW's) Nate Dogg and Chloe (TJ Zorabell) - always in our hearts, (Racey) Benson and Polly (Racey Pauline)

allpups.jpg

NaturallyGrey Email List

Then tell him you would rather not.

*sigh* It is not my vet, but one of my closest friends. I was just wondering if anyone had heard the same thing from their vets or had read anything.

Hmmm, I would be curious as to what vaccine (brand) it is she is using. Seems to me if your state allows 3yr vaccines it should be offered. For cats we let the client decide on the Purevax or Regular Rabies vaccine. I will look for any research info on the vaccines and dogs, but I really do not remember anything. The Drug Reps usually push that stuff when trying to sell a new vaccine. Keep us posted.

I tried to look into that because my vet is now insisting on every year shots. At my vet, it's not the shot, it's the exam fee! The insist on an exam prior to giving the shot.

The vet where I boarded my cats while I was moving was perfectly happy to give one of my cats a 3 year shot, and only charged for the shot. They said "for rabies, we don't need to do an exam." Not sure why, but my cat HATES going to the vet, so to me it was a great thing.

I don't mind taking George in every year for the shot, but cats are NOT easy to get to the vet! And she didn't explain it to my satisfaction, so I'd be interested in hearing if you find anything definitive.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I would sure want to hear some science Pam. There doesn't seem to be a lot of sense to that unless the formulation was very different in the two vaccines.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Maybe Dr. Bill will see this and give us his insight. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

:yikes :yikes

Interested to see if anyone knows any more about this!...

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I have a few hypotheses, mainly to do with the vaccine brand. I'll do some research tomorrow when I'm at school - it takes too long for me to connect to the university from home, especially from my iPod, which I am currently using.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Well, I'm still searching, but I did find this CDC report on rabies: Rabies 2008 that I am in the middle of reading. What I have found so far is that injection site sarcomas are far more common in cats, though it looks like there have been a handful of cases written up in the literature comparing tumors found in dogs to those found in cats and realizing there are similarities. The belief is that the sarcomas are the result of the adjuvants, and only the Merial feline PureVax rabies vaccine is non-adjuvanted (which is why the clinic at which I used to work uses it exclusively - however, the downside is that it is necessary to vaccinate yearly).

To answer another question/statement in this thread, based on my experience, the clinic at which I used to work used Merial's Imrab 3 rabies vaccine for the initial vaccination, the one year booster, and the three year booster.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I checked all my resources today and could not even find a rumor of injection site carcinomas related to a 3yr Rabies vx in canines. The major manufacturers of the vaccines offer the same vaccine with a 1yr label and 3yr label. The vaccine itself is the same.

Most hospitals pull the label off the vial and put it into the chart, some must like having label match the validation of the certificate. Like Deanna we use Imrab 3 for all, but do offer the PureVax Feline adjuvent free vaccine. The core vaccines like DHPP can also given with a 3yr protocol after the initial series.

Lepto is not common in our area, but I wish more would do the Lyme vaccine, we have had a bad tick season. Bordetella is another good vaccine to have on board.

Molleigh was given the "Dental Vaccine" by NGAP. I will be interested to follow her mouth to see if it does help. :D

I went out to the web site http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/page/917334 and it talks about the 1 and 3 year rabies vaccines. It appears that these are two different vaccines because the 3 year can be given to a horse while the 1 year cannot. The canine dosage for the 3 year is two injections a year apart (at 3 months and a year later) and then every three years.

This begs the question, are there adverse effects if it is given more? As greyhound owners, many of us do not have the medical records of our pets during their racing years and therefore, no information on what was given for rabies and/or other vaccines.

I've sent an email off to Merial (one vendor that makes the vaccine) to see if they will provide more information ....

Guest KipperGrey

Here is how it was explained to me:

The 3 year vaccine is adjuvated. Adjuvants(some contain aluminum) are additives to the vaccine to make the vaccine more potent and the immune protection last longer. In cats, adjuvants have been linked to injection site cancers.

I have switched to the one year purevax rabies vaccine with my cats and will request the same for our new puppy. Even though the connection is in cats I am not going to take the risk for our new pup. I take them all in for their yearly exam regardless if they are due for shots or not so an extra exam fee isn't an issue for me.