Soul Is Sick Again

Guest SoulsMom

Guest ChancesMom

Amber, I am sorry, I am just seeing this. I am glad that you were able to get some Flagyl. Please continue to watch his poop and if it gets any bloodier take him in right away. I am home with the phone beside me if you need to talk. Hugs to you and da Soul Man.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LindsaySF

He might need to be on Flagyl and some other antibiotics for a longer period, or at a higher dose. One of the suspects of HGE is bacterial, and maybe they started to flare up again.

Did they ever culture his feces for bacteria?

Hope he feels better soon. :goodluck

Amber, it's good that you can be home with him to moniter what's going on. I'm so sorry he's not feeling well again.

Soul, sweetie, your Mom worries about you so. And so do your friends! Please feel better soon.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh nuts Amber. Soul sweetie you do not need to be doing this. We are all worried for you. I'm glad you can get the Flagyl Amber. keep us posted.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Sending prayers for your sweet boy.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

I hope Soul gets better. Our thoughts are with you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sadly, I have no advice to offer you, but I do send all my hopes , prayers, and positive thoughts that this is just a small detour in Soul 's recovery to full and robust health. These pups are fighters and Soul is a champion.

Come on Soul, you can blow this off riteawaykwik!

Zach

Guest Dillymom

Poor Soul. You guys have been through so much lately. I have no advice to give but want you to know that we're sending good, warm thoughts for you guys.

Guest SoulsMom

I'm Back . He's now acting like nothing is bothering him, and he's been given his first dose of Flagyl. I just can't believe this is happening again . . . .and out of nowhere! And I have to say, I am really, really PI$$ED at Tufts and will only use them as a LAST resort from now on. I mean, c'mon! How hard is it to give me a round of Flagyl to get us through until tomorrow? He spent a night in ICU there for this, they know what his issues are . . . . But they said it was illegal for them to give me the meds without seeing him, even though they diagnosed him with HGE back on 11/5 . . . Yea, $150 bucks just to walk through the door. Argh!! Archie sometimes has bouts of colitis due to his age. All I have to do is call my vet and say he's having another bout and pick up the meds. So I guess by doing this my vet is performing an illegal practice. I'm sooooo pi$$ed!!!

Deep breaths. . . . I'm so hoping that the flagyl will settle everything down and get him on the mend. Thank you so, so much Jeannie for the suggestion, I hadn't even thought of that. YOU ARE A LIFESAVER :bow2

And Jordan, thank you for the PM. I'm going to discuss all of this with my vet. I worry about the cost, I just had to have $1300 worth of work done on my car, but that's what credit cards are for. I hate to put him through a scope, but at this point there prolly isn't any other option. . . .Out of nowhere, I still can't believe this is happening.

Kerry, thanks for letting me vent. Sorry if I interrupted your visit with your friends :blush

So, advice: Do I give him a small meal tonight or continue the fasting? He's hungry and I have the canned I/D . . .Maybe two small meals totaling half a can? When he had HGE in November, neither vet recommended fasting, but said to go ahead and give him the canned food . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

I too can not believe this is happening again. I wish I knew what to do for you, Soul and BEAU!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest VanillaBean

I have an IG with HGE. Comes on unexpectedly. My vet has given me Prednisone pills for her. When she refuses treats and a meal, I know it is starting. Give her 1/2 a pill and she is good as new in hours. Just FYI. Hope he feels better soon.

I would fast him for 24 hours. Hard, but probably best.

If he tolerates flagyl well, might ask your regular vet about leaving him on it for 3-6 months.

Poor bug, and poor worried (and poor! ai yi yi!) momma.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For future reference, I have also seen Flagyl (under generic name of Metronidazole) at Petsmart. Oddly enough, it is sold in the fish/aquarium section and is called something like Fish Zole. I did not buy any when I saw it as I did not need it then (and haven't since), but I did inspect the bottle, and the only ingredient was "Metronidazole 250 MG). I was curious about it and did a little research on the Internet, and as far as I can tell, it is exactly the same thing vets (and human doctors) prescribe. You might want to discuss with your vet. My vet did, in fact, give me a prescription for Metronidazole to keep on hand when one of my hounds seemed to be having recurring bouts of stomach issues, and I found that if I caught things early, giving it to her for just a day or two nipped it in the bud.

Guest FrostyBottoms

Regarding feeding Soul..I've been on Flagyl before, and it made my stomach so sick..I can't imagine not giving him a little something.....but I just don't know. Did the vet say why he didn't recommend fasting him before? I wonder if a little rice with a small amount of the canned food would be fine...are your vets on call? Can you page them?

Just got back and read your update. As for fasting him, I just don't know. I'd be inclined to fast him to give his stomach a rest. On the other hand, I know Flagyl is supposed to be given after food, presumably because it is not too gentle on the stomach otherwise... maybe a small amount of canned food, literally just enough to line the stomach so you can give him the Flagyl, as others have suggested? I'm no expert, unfortunately.

Poor Soul, poor you. :grouphug You know we're all here for you. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

We have the Flagyl called in in DH's name since we can put it under the insurance. Can your doc call it in for you?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project